Slow Cooker Rice (Help!!)

vyapti

I'm having several families over this weekend for Indian food. That means buckets of rice. It would be very handy if I can cook the rice in a crock pot and not worry about keeping it warm or tying up one of my burners. The problem is, there's not much consistency in recipes (cook time/temp or amount of water) on the internet.

Has anyone cooked rice in a crock pot? If so, how did you to it and how did it turn out.

Thanks

Can you borrow a rice cooker, or make the rice the night before & nuke to reheat? (I might be tempted to p/u steamed rice from a local Asian restaurant.)

Don't know how much help this is, but here are two I saved. Haven't made them, as my cooker is large & needs to be filled 3/4 - 2/3 full. These are for about 6 servings. Maybe you can compare them, & see what you think.

Risi Bisi
http://www.fbnr.com/Recipes/715/1924004715.htm

Creamy Crockpot Risotto (It does look a little soupy.)
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/02/creamy-crockpot-risotto.html

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
vyapti, would you consider oven-baking the rice?

I've made oven-baked fried rice before and I love it!

Here's a version for a crowd. If you want plain rice, omit all but the rice and water (or use chicken broth?) Increase the water/liquid to 8 cups.

I would also check it every half hour.

Lee

OVEN BAKED FRIED RICE
Printed from COOKS.COM

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,191,145169-239195,00.html
Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

4 c. uncooked long grain rice (not instant)
7 c. water
1 c. cooking oil
1 c. soya sauce (or 3/4 c.)
4 c. cut up cooked chicken
1 1/2 c. cut up raw celery
1 can mushrooms, drained
1 env. Lipton onion soup mix

Mix all together in a large roaster. Bake, covered at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Check after one hour. If liquid is mostly absorbed, remove from oven. Divide into containers and freeze.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have cooked rice in a sauce pan and rice cooker but never had any luck doing it in a slow cooker, so not much help.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
A friend of mine gave me some great tips on cooking rice:

1. Standard ratio for making rice over heat (low heat pot, baking, crockpot, steamer, etc) is 2x liquid to 1x dry rice. So 1 cup rice to 2 cups liquid.

2. Use liquids that have flavor for over the top rice like chicken stock or tomato stock (which also adds color).

3. Cook the rice ahead of time and keep in a sealed bowl in the fridge. All you need do to warm up cooked rice is pour hot water over it while it is in a colander – hot tap water is fine for this! Or put the rice in a colander and submerge that in hot water and let it sit for 5 minutes.

Rice is the easiest thing in the world to warm up from cold. All it takes is a little hot water, drain, and ready to eat. Add some butter & herbs for extra flavor.

vyapti

I just tried a couple small batches.

The first one, I added 2 cups of hot tap water and 1 cup of jasmine rice to a cold casserole. I covered it and baked it for 45 minutes. The result was sticky and caked to the pan (but not burnt).

For the second batch, I preheated the casserole in a 250 degree oven while I boiled water. I added 1 2/3 cups boiling water and 1 cup rice to the preheated casserole, covered it and baked it for 45 minutes. The result was fully cooked and fluffy.

I'm definitely doing this on Saturday. Thanks, everyone, for your input. I'm sending warm, curry thoughts to you now =)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, great, vyapti! Thanks for posting your results!

Mama, I'd never heard of reheating cold rice by pouring hot water over it in a colander. Excellent tip!

Lee

Carolina Cooking

I don't know how I made rice so long without a rice maker.

Yes I do .. I pot watched. Had boilover to clean up. dry rice. wet rice. Bottom burned. sticky mush. sometimes perfect rice.

I don't know where or how I decided I wanted a rice maker.

I:wub: it. In fact I have 2. One is just OK. I got it at Wal Mart.
The other is a step up . Made in JAPAN.

I don't make rice any other way . It come's out perfect, fluffy, cooked just right. I used to use store brand sale rice. Didn't even matter.

I have learned all about rice. How each type works & how it tastes.

I don't think I have made reg white rice in a while. I did make some for a broccoli casserole & fried rice.

I make brown rice .
Love love love Basmati rice. It really is my fav.
Jasmine. Love this rice too.

then of all things, Short rice. I don't like sticky rice that much, then I had so many asian recipes calling for it. I picked up a small 99c bag. OMG.. love it.

Rice Maker rules :thumb:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I always make rice in the microwave, unless I'm making that oven fried rice dish.

Carolina, can the rice cooker cook anything else?

Lee

Carolina Cooking

I always make rice in the microwave, unless I'm making that oven fried rice dish.

Carolina, can the rice cooker cook anything else?

Lee

yes . I make oatmeal swiss cut & reg. Quinoa. Steam vegs or chicken or shrimp while rice is steaming/cooking. Makes jam I don't do that. Makes bread/cake I don't do that. Soup. Rice Pudding.
Jambalaya. short ribs. full one pot meals. I heard you can make mac & cheese. lots of pasta . I haven't tho.
eggs soft or hard while your grain cereal is cooking. Just put them in the steamer rack.

Jack of all use's lol. The rice comes out perfect. Every time. Some have lots of bells & whistles to just basic models. They have all sizes too

All I need was a small one 3.5 cups . that makes 6 cups of rice. I have another one thats a little bigger its plain jane & makes 8cups of rice.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
not everyone has the power to run the microwave for 20 minutes in the summer, specially with ac on. that's when I got my steamer.