lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Peep's Garlic Bread

Garlic Butter:

1 Stick butter - softened
Fresh garlic - chopped fine
Fresh parsley - chopped fine
Fresh Grated cheese - Parmesan and/or Romano (I use half of each)
Olive oil
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
Ground hot pepper flakes - just a small pinch - optional

Place butter and all other ingredients (to taste ) in bowl and mix well. Let stand several hours or overnight to marry the flavors (tastes even better the next day). You can use right away if you choose.

French or Italian bread loaf

Slice loaf French or Italian bread long ways. Butter both halves with softened garlic butter. Place both halves on cookie sheet. Place under broiler till browned. Serve on side with meal.

Sometimes I make this garlic bread than top and turn into garlic butter French bread pizza.

(hmmmmmmmm need a bread and quick bread forum?)

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Re: Garlic Bread

This sounds much better than the butter and garlic powder method I've been using! :lol:

I'll have to try this. Thanks!

chowhound

Hey.... I just used the butter and granulated garlic method for lunch.
I was feeling so lazy I didn't even want to do my usual; toast with EVOO, rub with raw garlic method.

The pepper flakes sound like a nice twist, peep.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

I was feeling so lazy I didn't even want to do my usual; toast with EVOO, rub with raw garlic method.

Nothing wrong with that in my book!! :lol:

But, Peep's bread sounds like the Filet Mignon of garlic bread in comparison.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

This sounds much better than the butter and garlic powder method I've been using! :lol:

I'll have to try this. Thanks!
<<<< insert atitude: no self respecting italian would use garlic powder!! LOL just kidding couldn't resist repeating what was said to me the first time i threw butter and garlic powder together for my very first garlic bread to bring to a family holiday dinner (i was 17 and on my own). my uncle said, "what the hell is this?" (funny thing is my aunt was the italian LOL talk about being spoiled!!)

you're welcome but beware you will forsake that butter and powder forever.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

most garlic butters have the garlic and parsley i added all the rest because i always look for a way to go over the top. this is the result of trying to get over when i was 17 and was embarrassed by my uncle at the xmas dinner table and evolve to what it is now. altough the red pepper was the last arrival added while i was preggie and wanted some kick to my garlic bread. everyone raved so it stayed.

chowhound

Nice uncle..... what the hell is this? :lol:

I'm German and Irish heritage. I don't recall eating anything on the holidays that "required" garlic bread. :unsure:
Now I make it every week whether I have anything to sop up with it or not. :lol:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

sounds like my recipe but just a different prep method..

take the same ingredients

put in a small sauce pot, sweat the garlic...allow butter to firm up again..spread on bread

or i use about 1 head of roasted garlic instead of uncooked garlic

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Nice uncle..... what the hell is this? :lol:

I'm German and Irish heritage. I don't recall eating anything on the holidays that "required" garlic bread. :unsure:
Now I make it every week whether I have anything to sop up with it or not. :lol:
we always had a pasta course with garlic bread. we had soup to nuts dinners.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

sounds like my recipe but just a different prep method..

take the same ingredients

put in a small sauce pot, sweat the garlic...allow butter to firm up again..spread on bread

or i use about 1 head of roasted garlic instead of uncooked garlic
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm interesting.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter

I had the same idea, Lefty. It's the only thing I could find and put the link on his thread. Great minds, lol

chowhound

Hey cool! Thanks, guys. This is it. The red pepper flakes is what I couldn't get a handle on, but I new something was different that your usual garlic bread. I didn't remember the broiler part though.... I could have sworn it was sauteed in EVOO...

Thanks. I had no idea where to look. I was looking under bread. Silly me (lol).

Deelady

This sounds sooooooo good! Will be making very soon! :D :D

If you have left over butter how long do you think it will stay good for?

chowhound

That's a good question, Dee. Wasn't there a discussion before about raw garlic only being good for a few days, even if put in EVOO?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

This sounds sooooooo good! Will be making very soon! :D :D

If you have left over butter how long do you think it will stay good for?

That's a good question, Dee. Wasn't there a discussion before about raw garlic only being good for a few days, even if put in EVOO?
it never lasts more than a day or 2. i like to make it fresh so i make 1 or 2 sticks of garlic butter worth at a time and plan on garlic bread when i make lasagna, stuffed shells or a pot of meat gravy. i use it for 2 meals and gone. i'd say it would last maybe a week in the coldest part of the fridge or freeze it - i have made the butter then placed in a zip bag and mushed down and rolled it into a tube then freeze, cut circles off the frozen tube and place on veggies or steaks. it lasts awhile in the freezer. HTH

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Hey cool! Thanks, guys. This is it. The red pepper flakes is what I couldn't get a handle on, but I new something was different that your usual garlic bread. I didn't remember the broiler part though.... I could have sworn it was sauteed in EVOO...

Thanks. I had no idea where to look. I was looking under bread. Silly me (lol).
i put it here because i couldn't find a bread forum just a baking forum which are not always the same thing. oopsie

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

BTW chow did you make my garlic bread? and did you like?

chowhound

Yeah, after I realized that the recipes under Bread were more starting dough from scratch, that's when I asked for help.

I didn't make it, exactly. I didn't have the exact ingredients on hand (fresh herbs) and didn't have a few hours to marry the flavors, so I spread some butter on a couple pieces of French bread, sprinkled with red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, pepper and chopped garlic, then grated some parm reg on the pieces and popped them into the broiler on the toaster oven. It certainly worked for me :^D
One of these days I'll make up some following your recipe exactly.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Yeah, after I realized that the recipes under Bread were more starting dough from scratch, that's when I asked for help.

I didn't make it, exactly. I didn't have the exact ingredients on hand (fresh herbs) and didn't have a few hours to marry the flavors, so I spread some butter on a couple pieces of French bread, sprinkled with red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, pepper and chopped garlic, then grated some parm reg on the pieces and popped them into the broiler on the toaster oven. It certainly worked for me :^D
i said it could sit for several hours to marry because i usually make it than make the sauce and pasta which takes about an hour or so BUT i also use it as soon as i make it when in a hurry. it just taste stronger of garlic when used right away, after it sits the garlic mellows and blends.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

next time mix the cheese with the butter that way it don't just melt on top. your (well my recipe) isn't going for a "baked" (like the baked shells with all the melted cheese on top or "parmasan" as in chicken, veal or eggplant parm) garlic bread.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

i put a dash instead of a smidge of hot pepper this time. LOL it got attenetion i'll tell ya. after it was turned into pizza the hot was just right.

garlic bread uncooked

picture.php

garlic bread cooked under broiler

picture.php

garlic bread topped

picture.php

garlic bread pizza

picture.php

Last edited: