Rustic White Bread

chilefarmer

New recipe for me. Good crust, flavor good. I would bake again. CF

Rustic White Bread

Ingredients
· 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
· 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
· 3 cups bread flour, divided
· 1 teaspoon salt
· Cooking spray
· 1 teaspoon cornmeal
· 1 teaspoon water
· 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
Preparation
Dissolve the yeast in 1 cup warm water in a large bowl, and let stand for 5 minutes.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 2 3/4 cups flour and salt to yeast mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press 2 fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
Punch dough down. Cover and let rest 5 minutes. Shape dough into a 6-inch round; place on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Lightly coat surface of dough with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
Preheat oven to 450°.
Uncover dough. Combine 1 teaspoon water and egg white, stirring with a whisk; brush over dough. Make 3 (4-inch) cuts 1/4 inch deep across top of dough using a sharp knife.
Bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until bread is browned on bottom and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack.

The Loaf
RusticWhiteBread.jpg

The Crumb
RusticWhiteCrumb.jpg

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That looks absolutely MAGNIFICENT, cf!!

I'm so impressed!

Lee