Meals in Minutes, or Quickie Meals

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
So lets talk quick meals, fast meals that you can do in 30minutes or so. I am not good in this catagory, I can't think of any off the top of my head that I have except grilled cheese, egg sandwiches, hamburgers and fries, or chili cheese dogs with tator tots.

What ya got?

bowlingshirt

I need to know too, as we don't have enough time to cook meals from scratch everyday.

One thing tho, is that on the weekends when we do have more time, we will sometimes make extra meals for the upcoming week that we can just reheat and serve.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Our favourite one is a take on spaghetti carbonara. I do it by instinct now so you will need to experiment. For 2ish

Ingredients
100g spaghetti
2 rashers bacon or equivelent bacon bits
1 small onion
1 egg
50-100g grated cheese
a little milk or cream

Cook the spaghetti.

Chop the onion and fry it with the bacon

Mix the cream/milk and egg. Add the cooked onion & bacon. Stir in the grated cheese.

Add this mix to the hot drained spaghetti, mix together and serve.

buckytom

Grill Master
linguini alla vongole.

nothing could be easier or faster, even if you use fresh clams.

boil a few quarts of water, and prepare a box of linguini so that it's al dente. drain and set aside.

peel and mince several cloves of garlic. chop an onion to a small dice. brown the onion in a deep sautee in evoo, then add garlic and toast it as well. add a coupla cans of clams and their juice (or a bottle of clam juice, some water, and add the fresh clams. cover tightly to steam open.)
add butter and chopped fresh parsley, toss with linguini, top with grated cheese.

e viola! linguini alla vongole.

you can do the same thing with mussels, or even shrimp or calamari. be careful not to overcook anything, especially the calamari.

add some tomato sauce to make it linguini in red clam sauce.

add the tomato sauce, and a heaping tbsp of hot red pepper flakes to make it shrimp, or calamari, or clams fra diavolo.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ravioli in brown sage butter

Frozen ravioli, dropped in boiling water until they float. Drain.

Melt half a stick of butter in a pan. Add some fresh sage leaves and saute them until they're crispy and the butter is browned. Toss in ravioli to coat.

This is fabulous! And the crispy sage leaves are the best part! I like to serve it with something like a tomato, feta, basil salad.

ravioliwithsagebutteryx8.jpg

Lee

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have two I make some times. The recipes follow:

Taco Hamburger Helper
1 pound ground beef
1 can rotel tomatoes
1 onion diced
4 cloves of garlic crush and diced
2 Jalapeño peppers diced (optional to taste)
1 lb of elbow macaroni (other styles can be used as well)
1 package of Taco seasoning (brand optional or home made)
1 tbl spoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1 cup low salt beef broth (chicken can also be used or water)
1 to 2 tbl spoons of Salsa (your favorite brand)
1 tbl spoon of crushed red peppers (or to taste)
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil
In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the onions and jalapeños in olive oil until onions are translucent, about 5 to 10 minutes. Now add ground beef to the skillet and brown with onions and peppers. Salt and pepper to taste. Once meat is browned add garlic, rotel tomatoes, cayenne pepper, crushed red peppers and broth. Bring to a boil the turn down to a simmer. Allow to reduce. You can now add your pasta to a boiling pot of water. Once pasta is cooked to your taste add pasta to skillet and mix completely. You can add cheese to the top of this when serving and it is better the next day reheated.

And my second it even simpler:

Beans and Pasta

1 large can of garbanzo beans or large Catalonia or combo of the two. (I like the Pregresso brand for this)
6 cloves of crushed garlic (or to taste)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 lb of ditaline type pasta
1 lb of sweet Italian sausage (optional)
Parmesan cheese for topping (optional)

In a medium sized sauce pan (3 qt) I put the beans including the liquid, a 1/4 cup of olive oil, and the garlic. I bring this to a boil then lower the heat letting it simmer for about 10 minutes. I cook the pasta according to instructions on box. Now if I use sausage which I like to blanch then grille, I cut it into 1" pieces and added it to the beans. At this point I mix the pasta and beans in a bowl and it is ready to go. I serve it with a bit of Parisian and garlic bread.

Both of these dishes are even better the next day when heated back up.

chowhound

This can be made for 2 bucks if you buy on sale (less the cost of a little butter). And well under 30 minutes, since you are only bringing a small amount of water to a boil that will cook away.
It works for me :wink:

Attachments

• pasta roni.jpg
    pasta roni.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 187
  • snows clams.jpg
    snows clams.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 194

PanchoHambre

my quickest meal is

1 can white beans
1 can tuna (or chicken or whatever)
1 can Stewed tomatoes
1 can green beans (or whatever green veggie)
1 box pasta (your choice - not spaghetti)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, S&P, Italian Herb Mix

make pasta (a bit al-dente)

while pasta is cooking combine other ingredients in saute pan douse liberally with Oil and vingear S&P&Herbs to taste and saute med/low heat
Drain pasta (reserve 1/2 cup of water

Dump everything back in saucepan cook a bit longer and stir

Serve hot or cold... top with grated Parmigan (this recipe will not be insulted by the Green Can)

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Very quick meal.

2 slices bread
I can baked beans
grated cheese

Put bread in toaster, butter when ready.
Heat up contents of can and serve on toast. Top with grated cheese.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very quick meal.

2 slices bread
I can baked beans
grated cheese

Put bread in toaster, butter when ready.
Heat up contents of can and serve on toast. Top with grated cheese.

Well, that's definitely a new one on me, Ray! LOL! Old English tradition or did you just invent it?

I'm sure I'd love it, though ... with ketchup, natch! :cool:

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
beans and toast is known all over the uk and ireland. great stuff!

it's good hangover food. you barely have to lift your head off the pillow to make it. :puke1:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Well, that's definitely a new one on me, Ray! LOL! Old English tradition or did you just invent it?

I'm sure I'd love it, though ... with ketchup, natch! :cool:

Lee

As Bucky says, it is a staple food over here. My boys love and will ask for it when they are having a light meal.

You can posh it up a bit by adding egg, bacon & sausage.

Which bring me to another quick meal - the full English Breakfast.

Bacon, sausage, egg, tomato, mushrooms, black pudding, baked beans (optional) served with fried bread. Not for the calorie concious. You could also add hash browns.

PanchoHambre

Fritatta - Potato & Eggs

poke holes in a large potato - nuke for a few min until soft

chop 1/2 onion and carmelize in med skillet w/ butter or olive oil

chop potato into 1/2 inch cubes and brown

Scramble 4 eggs til fluffy (w/a touch of milk or cream, a bit parm chese S&P + HDP)

Pour into skillet over potatoes and onions

let cook on low heat on stove or transfer to warm oven
(if in oven when almost done sprinkle a bit of cheese + Breadcrumbs on top)

Even better if peppers or zucchini or both are added to the saute)

Serve with a side salad of field greens & balsamic vinaigrette (or chips & ketchup)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This is real simple, but good. Everything comes from a box, bag, or can, but hey, it’s fast and easy. :wink:

Take some breaded chicken fillets/patties (such as Tyson), your favorite spaghetti sauce (jar or can for convenience), and some shredded mozzarella cheese. Put a thin layer of sauce in a baking dish. Add the chicken breasts. Sprinkle on a thin layer of cheese. Now completely cover with remaining sauce. Bake 20 minutes at 400. Add more cheese to the top, then bake another 5 minutes to melt the cheese. Serve with green beans and garlic bread.

Last edited:

PanchoHambre

Cheatin Seafood Marinara

1 Jar decent quality marinara sauce (or pre-made homemade/market bought)
1 can clams (drained)
1 can mussels (drained)
2 TBS Olive oil
2 Cloves Garlic sliced thin
1/2 Cup fresh basil (stemmed + diced)

in large saute pan lightly brown garlic in olive add clams & mussels - quick saute
add marinara and heat through

Serve over linguine top with fresh chopped basil. Garlic bread or a crusty baguette on the side

CharlieD

My fastest meals are vegetarian soups. No recipe, sorry. My kids favorite is tomato soup and grill cheese.

chowhound

Oh yeah, beans on bread. Sometimes I toast it, always with a little catsup. The beans on bread came from my mother, who was Irish, and the catsup my father, who's German. I usually fry a little something up in the pan before adding the beans. I probably had these leftover from the night before. Next time I have with toast, I'm going to butter the toast. Thanks Ray.

Attachments

• hotdog lunch.jpg
    hotdog lunch.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 180

PanchoHambre

Quick Creamy pasta

1 PKG Alouette brand garlic/herb cheese spread (Herbed Boursin wouldd probably work if you wanna get fancy)
1 PKG Pasta (your choice shape
1 PKG Cherry Tomatoes (halved & Seeded)
Fresh chopped Bazil (or other green leaf herb)

Cook Pasta drain reserve 1/2 cup of liquid
Return hot Pasta to pot add package cheese spread & tomatos Mix well until cheese softens and coats pasta & tomatoes (add some pasta water if needed for consistency)

Place in bowl top with chopped basil
Serve

This can be dressed up with additional fresh veggies such as julienne peppers/zucchini

This was a quickie college dinner get together fast in time to watch TV

bowlingshirt

This is real simple, but good. Everything comes from a box, bag, or can, but hey, it’s fast and easy. :wink:

Take some breaded chicken fillets/patties (such as Tyson), your favorite spaghetti sauce (jar or can for convenience), and some shredded mozzarella cheese. Put a thin layer of sauce in a baking dish. Add the chicken breasts. Sprinkle on a thin layer of cheese. Now completely cover with remaining sauce. Bake 20 minutes at 400. Add more cheese to the top, then bake another 5 minutes to melt the cheese. Serve with green beans and garlic bread.

My wife makes these..."chicken parmesean"

PanchoHambre

English Muffin Pizza

Split muffins
Brush with olive oil
Toast in oven (on cookie sheet) or toaster oven (on foil) until just beginning to brown
Place large spoonful of tomato sauce in middle & spread
Cover with grated Mozzarella (or a couple thin slices)

Return to oven/toaster oven until cheese melts and sauce is hot

top with fresh cut basil (or Italian herb mix), Red Pepper flakes & Parm

this recipe is green jar approved
prod_ParmRom.jpg

heb1976

my favorite and one we have at least once a week - hubby could it everyday.

Boil elbow macaroni - about 2.5 cups. Fry up a 1-1.5lbs ground meat, green pepper (chop up 1 small or half of a large), onion (i usually use dried onion flakes because i can't handle cutting fresh onions - i sprinkle enough to coat all the meat), about a teaspoon of garlic, Italian seasoning (I just sprinkle all over). Drain. Add your favorite spaghetti sauce (mom uses Prego ... I use Ragu). Add macaroni to the meat mixture. Stir and cover. Let simmer about 15 minutes. Serve with salad and garlic bread.

chowhound

Green can approved... love it, JT!

Sounds like the goulash I make, Heather. I've just recently gotten into using canned tomatoes (crushed) and puree. Good stuff. Gotta have the green peppers.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
my favorite and one we have at least once a week - hubby could it everyday.

Boil elbow macaroni - about 2.5 cups. Fry up a 1-1.5lbs ground meat, green pepper (chop up 1 small or half of a large), onion (i usually use dried onion flakes because i can't handle cutting fresh onions - i sprinkle enough to coat all the meat), about a teaspoon of garlic, Italian seasoning (I just sprinkle all over). Drain. Add your favorite spaghetti sauce (mom uses Prego ... I use Ragu). Add macaroni to the meat mixture. Stir and cover. Let simmer about 15 minutes. Serve with salad and garlic bread.

Okay, now heb, what do people call this in your area? I've heard people call it different things in other parts of the country.

We call it American Chop Suey, here.

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
How about oven fried boneless, skinless chicken breast.

2/3 cup of Instant potatoes flakes
1/3 cup of Parmesan Cheese (yes, I use the stuff in the green can :ohmy:)
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 envelope Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing Mix
1/2 cup of butter, melted
4 boneless, skinless breasts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a dish. Dip the chicken breasts in the melted butter, dredge in the potato flake mixture. Place on a tin foil lined cookie sheet. Bake 20 to 30 minutes depending upon how thick your chicken breast is. Finish it off under the broiler for a few minutes to get it a nice golden brown and it will look like this:

P2110547.jpg

heb1976

Green can approved... love it, JT!

Sounds like the goulash I make, Heather. I've just recently gotten into using canned tomatoes (crushed) and puree. Good stuff. Gotta have the green peppers.

we call it goulash as well. my grandma always yells and says it is called poor man's dish. whatever ... it tastes good, you can call it poop for all i care.

i used to use stewed tomotoes, but didn't have any one time and mom recommended adding the spaghetti sauce. so it stuck.

buckytom

Grill Master
As Bucky says, it is a staple food over here. My boys love and will ask for it when they are having a light meal.

You can posh it up a bit by adding egg, bacon & sausage.

Which bring me to another quick meal - the full English Breakfast.

Bacon, sausage, egg, tomato, mushrooms, black pudding, baked beans (optional) served with fried bread. Not for the calorie concious. You could also add hash browns.

oh man, i haven't had a fukll english/irish breakfast in a long time.

mm, do you cut the top off of the tomato and bake it with some dried herbs sprinkled on top, maybe a little worcestershire? yummm!!!

no white pudding?

and i could go for some boxty right now.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
No, I cut them in half and show them on a hot plate on in the frying pan.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Easy Steak and Cheese Sandwich

One of our neighbors is a 21 year old guy that DW has adopted. He’s a good, hard working kid. Really a great “son” with impressive drive and motivation.

But he can’t cook. Everything comes out of a microwave or fast-food window.

DW helps him with cleaning and shopping, and I cook for him. He wanted a good sandwich to take to work tomorrow. We tossed around ideas and they have a microwave and toaster oven where he works. So I made him a quick and easy NY Strip and Cheese sandwich from some left over steak we had from the other night (we cooked too many).

Just slice the steak really thin against the grain and sauté in a hot pan with garlic and onion.

As it sautés, hollow out a hoagie roll in the same fashion as I did the Twice Baked Potatoes recipe.

Pack the meat into the cavity, drizzle pan juice over it, then top with cheese and put under the broiler for a few minutes to melt it. Take the top of the bread you cut out and saw it down to a thin slice to accommodate the meat. Now top the sandwich and roll it up in aluminum foil for work tomorrow.

Condiments should be added at meal time to avoid sogginess.

n21fl1.jpg