Slap Chop - I couldn't make myself use one

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Slap Chop Internet Commercial

As fast and easy prepping of certain food goes, this device probably has a place in many a kitchen. Personally, I couldn't force myself to use one because I get a huge amount of pleasure using all my knives and practicing my knife skills.

Lefty

Yank
I could say the same thing for a food processor. I like the therapeutic rhythm I get from hand cutting all my food. I also think that machined stuff gets a ragged cut to it vice the nice clean cut you get by doing it by hand. When I am preparing a salad I think the size and look of the cuts on all the salad parts is as important as what you put into a salad.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Also, older people should use their fine motor skills so they don't lose them along with their minds. :)

chowhound

I think it definitely serves its purpose. Especially for someone arthritic who is also a bleeder, like my mother was. Of course, I don't know that an elderly person would have the gusto to work it properly either...
I like prepping my food with knives, but I could easily see me buying one of those things. Cutting hard boiled eggs by hand is a PITA.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
When I have a 1/2 dozen or or more of hard boiled eggs to chop up I tend to put them in the Food Processor on pulse. It works just fine for egg salads and such. If I'm just making eggs for the tops of salads I cut them up in 1/4 or deviled eggs in 1/2 I do it with a 150mm petty.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Slap Chop Internet Commercial

As fast and easy prepping of certain food goes, this device probably has a place in many a kitchen. Personally, I couldn't force myself to use one because I get a huge a mount of pleasure using all my knives and practicing my knife skills.
"you're gonna love my nuts!!" LOL

i have the pampered chef chopper i got about 8 years ago. but i don't use it very often i like my knives also and a knife is easier to clean. BUT that being said i do use it for chopping the mushrooms for my cream of wild mushroom soup.

FryBoy

Wouldn't touch it based on the terrible user reviews on Amazon -- 10 of 19 give it only 1 star, the lowest possible rating: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Ontel-Slap-Chop/dp/B0023SNDYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1248458650&sr=8-1[/ame]

A few recent examples:

1.0 out of 5 stars flimsy, April 10, 2009
A Kid's Review
flimsy, good only for peanuts, garlic and the like. tomatoes and onions are squashed,

1.0 out of 5 stars DOESN'T CHOP...JUST MESSES, May 5, 2009
By Madeline "Dog Lover" (USA)
Mine does not chop, it just trys to. Won't chop through apple , garlic , onion. The food gets caught up in the blades. This is the first time I used it, but I'm looking for an easier one to chop with. The chopped onion (which is why I bought it) comes out in big pieces and they are stuck in the blades, I have to dig them out. This is no fun!

1.0 out of 5 stars You're gonna love my nuts.... or are you?, May 11, 2009
By Deborah K. Dobbins "Five By Five" (Indianapolis, IN)
As Vince says in the commercial "you're gonna love my nuts" but the slap chop doesn't do a very good job of chopping them. This thing is flimsy and cheap. It has a hard time chopping foods with peels. Food goes everywhere and gets stuck in the blades. I don't recommend this TV product.

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of plastic, June 4, 2009
By SKY2110 "SKY2110" (USA)
Lasted about three days before I discarded it. The mechanism for keeping the cutters rotating didn't work on about 80% of the strokes, and putting the red plastic blade guide back in place after cleaning was a real exercise in patience. If you take the time to disassemble and reassemble into account, it'd be lots faster to just take out a paring knife and get 'er done.

1.0 out of 5 stars garbage!, July 10, 2009
By Jevgenijs Livsics
this product is garbage! it doesn't cut the tomatoes/peppers/etc but instead flattens them into a watery pancake. too small to fit most tomatoes/etc so everything needs to be cut in half. and you really need to hit it hard for it to chop so your hand will be sore after just one minute. total garbage!

1.0 out of 5 stars POSTAGE RIPOFF, April 30, 2009
By Beverly Kingsley
First, I could not view the postage on the order, it was not added in, till it was too late and I had already given them my credit card info. Then for 3 days I tried to cancel, I kept being told it wasn't in their computers yet. Then finally, it was in their computer the following day and I was told it was too late, it was in the shipping dept. How can they excuse $14.95 shipping on a $19.95 item??? Even if I returned it, I wouldn't get my $14.95 back, plus there would be the postage to return.
So I have a very expensive chopper now, maybe worth $19.95 but not the additional $14.95.

1.0 out of 5 stars This thing is garbage, April 17, 2009 By Joyce A. Lawson "Song Sparrow" (Westfir, OR)
Don't even order it. One star is too high of a rating. They're dishonest, I tried to cancel the order within three hours and then in 24 hours. They told me it was already shipped, but it didn't ship for another nine days. Buy the Pampered Chef

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
i wouldn't buy it either. go for the pampered chef chopper if you must have one.

pugger

I've had one for years, only it wasn't called slapchop nor does it open like a butterfly. It's riding the pines in the kitchen appliance graveyard (up in a little used closet):wave:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I have one - not a slap chop but a knock off. It's good for certain things like chopping nuts and olives and other small things. It's great for my 6 year old and for my mentally disabled daughter. But it sure isn't a substitute for a knife! And the applications are pretty limited.

Fisher does say "You're gonna love my nuts" every time he uses it! It makes for a fun time in the kitchen.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I've had one for years, only it wasn't called slapchop nor does it open like a butterfly. It's riding the pines in the kitchen appliance graveyard (up in a little used closet):wave:
the pampered chef chopper does open like a butterfly. and like you mine doesn't get used very often mostly for mushrooms and nuts that need to be small.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I've used these choppers before. Not the Slap Chop, but others like the Pampered Chef version. They're pretty neat and do the job well. You can mince the absolute fool out of some garlic in seconds flat....and never get sticky fingers! :lol:

But, I'll stick to my knives as they are easier to clean and more fun for me.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I've used these choppers before. Not the Slap Chop, but others like the Pampered Chef version. They're pretty neat and do the job well. You can mince the absolute fool out of some garlic in seconds flat....and never get sticky fingers! :lol:

But, I'll stick to my knives as they are easier to clean and more fun for me.
is that a technical term!! LOL love it!! muahhhhhhhhh kel

or would it be slap the fool out of it?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
is that a technical term!! LOL love it!! muahhhhhhhhh kel

or would it be slap the fool out of it?

No, usually you "slap the fool" out of a person that needs it. If they REALLY need a beating, then you have to take it to the next level and "slap the taste out their mouth"!! :yum::yum::yum::yum:

But you can mince the fool out of some garlic. You're gonna love my n.......uh.....minced garlic! :lol:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
No, usually you "slap the fool" out of a person that needs it. If they REALLY need a beating, then you have to take it to the next level and "slap the taste out their mouth"!! :yum::yum::yum::yum:

But you can mince the fool out of some garlic. You're gonna love my n.......uh.....minced garlic! :lol:
i had such a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad come back but i will behave!!

i hate when that little angel wins out!!

Ronjohn

sure if you want to do half a potato at a time....

th_thWhat_in_the_hell__by_Fast_Bear.gif

:shock:

th_thrubeyes.gif

homecook

When I have a 1/2 dozen or or more of hard boiled eggs to chop up I tend to put them in the Food Processor on pulse. It works just fine for egg salads and such. If I'm just making eggs for the tops of salads I cut them up in 1/4 or deviled eggs in 1/2 I do it with a 150mm petty.

I hand grate my eggs when I'm making egg salad or deviled eggs.

buckytom

Grill Master
the slap chop thing has really been around for a long time. years ago we got one for my mil when her hand strength and control waned.

like most have mentioned, you have to cut things up to use it. but it does make mincing ever-so slightly easier. i don't have the time to get it out, use it, then clean it and put it away, so a knife and cutting board is all i need.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
the slap chop thing has really been around for a long time. years ago we got one for my mil when her hand strength and control waned.

like most have mentioned, you have to cut things up to use it. but it does make mincing ever-so slightly easier. i don't have the time to get it out, use it, then clean it and put it away, so a knife and cutting board is all i need.
i only use it for things as is, if i gotts ta take knife to it bettter to just do the whole job wit the knife!! same reason i never got a dish washer - my aunts washed the dishes than put in the dish washer :shock: i never got the logic in that!! and my aunt uses her dish washer to sterilize her jars for canning!! jeeeeeeeeeeesh!! there are cheaper ways!! :smile: :kiss:

chowhound

Fork mashed. Still warm, too :wink:
I slice the eggs up with a fairly dull knife against my thumb, dropping the pieces into a tupperware container, add my stuff and then mash it up with a fork. I figure I've got to mix the ingredients anyway, so I might as well do it while making the eggs smaller.
I'll be making giblet gravy in a few days and that's when I had a problem before while slicing then chopping up the eggs with one of my Japanese knives on a cutting board. Looking forward to the cold water tip.

Attachments

• egg salad.jpg
    egg salad.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 118