Pecorino Romano Ciabatta

chilefarmer

My first ever loaf of Ciabatta. The cheese was not all that good (to me). Everybody else liked it, or at least they were being nice about it. CF

Pecorino Romano Ciabatta

PecorinoRomanoCiabattaCrumb.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It looks perfectly perfect to me, CF!!!

I bet your kitchen smelled wonderful!

Lee

chilefarmer

Here ya go Peep. Hope it works for you. I used the stand up mixer. CF

Pecorino Romano Ciabatta

Ingredients

• For the Biga (Starter):
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/8 tsp instant yeast
  • For the dough:
  • All of the starter
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
  • 6 oz Pecorino-Romano cheese, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1 1/4 cup), plus extra for grating over the top of the bread
Instructions

1. Biga: Mix all of the biga ingredients in a medium-sized bowl until well-blended. Cover the bowl, and leave it at cool room temperature for 12 to 20 hours, until the biga is very bubbly.
  2. Dough: Mix the biga and the remaining dough ingredients, except the cheese, using an electric mixer set on slow speed, for 2 to 4 minutes. Increase the speed to medium and mix for about 4 minutes; the dough should be soft and slightly sticky. Add additional water or flour if necessary. Mix in the cheese; Allow the dough to rise, in a greased, covered bowl, for 1 to 2 hours, until it's very puffy. Note: You can also mix this dough in a bread machine set on the dough cycle; add the diced cheese several minutes before the end of the final kneading cycle.
  3. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface, and shape it into two long loaves, about 12 x 4 inches each. Place the loaves, floured side up, onto parchment paper (if you plan to bake on an oven stone) or baking sheets. Cover the loaves with a proof cover or well-greased plastic wrap, and allow them to rise for 45 minutes, or until they're very puffy. Sprinkle them with additional grated cheese.
  4. Bake the ciabatta in a preheated 450 oven for 22 to 26 minutes, until it's golden brown. Remove it from the oven, and cool on a rack.
Yield: 2 loaves. Or four smaller loaves.

CF - That's a gorgeous-looking loaf of bread! I don't think anyone was "just being nice", either. I'll bet that bread tasted fantastic and for sure, your kitchen must have smelled wonderful. I'm going to try some of this bread - thanks for sharing. And thanks for the spinach pie recipe, also. Ian says to tell you they'll have to play with it some to get the amounts of ingredients just right but that his Exec. Chef is quite interested and could they call it "Syrian Spinach Pie"? Is your wife one of those "a pinch of this and a skosh of that" types of bakers and cooks? Uses no recipe but just cooks by memory? Nobody can ever duplicate what they do but it's always delicious!

Fallon:eat1: