Smoked Turkey Gravy for Thanksgiving

joec

Gold Site Supporter
This is another one I love that I got from FN last year.

Roasted Turkey Gravey - Tyler Florence
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large, smoked turkey wing or 2 small ones (made my own but can be purchased ready made)
1 medium onion, quartered
2 carrots, chopped
1 ribs celery, chopped
1 head garlic, split through the equator
4 stems fresh sage
4 sprigs fresh thyme
6 parsley stems
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 cups chicken stock (also home made but low salt versions are fine)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the wing, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and herbs, and cook for 5 minutes. Place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and place over medium heat. Remove the wing and set aside. Add the flour and let cook for about 1 minute. Add the stock and simmer until it has reduced by about 1/4, about 15 minutes. Strain the sauce and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.

Prep Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 2 hr
Serves: 3 cups

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, this looks fantastic, Joe! I've never seen this one!

Copied and saved for the warm weather, when I smoke turkey breasts in the backyard.

Come on SPRING! :bounce:

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Funny thing is I don't eat turkey, chicken or ducks but do like the gravy made with it. I smoked a couple of 12 lb turkeys this year for Thanksgiving and it didn't last long so I assume from that everyone like it. As for me I had my brisket of beef.

I picked up the recipe from watching the Food Network and tried it finding it excellent.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I use one similar to the picture below but not exactly as mine is larger with more rack options. I gave up on charcoal years ago since I couldn't get a constant heat so didn't get a good smoke, now gas all the way. Only draw back is I can't do cold smoking.

Attachments

• Smoke Hollow Smoker.jpg
    Smoke Hollow Smoker.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 131

chowhound

That's really nice, Joe. I didn't even know they made propane pits.
Probably a good thing (lol). First I tried to make one out of a hot plate and a garbage can, then I ended up getting a WSM, which I'm sure was a lot le$$ than that one.
That's sweet!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Actually mine cost me $87 plus local tax here in Kentucky, normally costs about $100 to $130 depending. Now that didn't include the tank but I have 2 tanks for my gas grille I got from WalMart. I simply pay for the first one then as the run out I take the empty back and swap it for a new tank filled. I think it cost me about $35 for the first tank and $15 for a swap. Oh these are 30 lb tanks I get from them which one tank will handle a whole summer of grilling or smoking so I use about two tanks a year with out door cooking every week end from April through October.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It has held up well also. I've own it and my Char Broil Grille for about 5 years now sitting on my back porch here in Kentucky. I keep them covered with typical grill covers and no rust so far on either.

chowhound

Actually mine cost me $87 plus local tax here in Kentucky, normally costs about $100 to $130 depending. Now that didn't include the tank but I have 2 tanks for my gas grille I got from WalMart. I simply pay for the first one then as the run out I take the empty back and swap it for a new tank filled. I think it cost me about $35 for the first tank and $15 for a swap. Oh these are 30 lb tanks I get from them which one tank will handle a whole summer of grilling or smoking so I use about two tanks a year with out door cooking every week end from April through October.

That's unbelievable. I want one.
Very nice.

One tank will handle a whole summer?! I want one of those, too.
I have two forty lb tanks and get one filled about every month or so. More when it's summer :) I just use them on my Ducane gasser.