Al Capone's Hideout - in between Elfin and St Charles

waybomb

Al Capone's Hideout is supposed to be a steak house. They do offer what I am guessing is cuts of unknown grade, then Black Angus cuts of unknown grade, and Prime cuts.

I ordered a Rib Eye, prime. I asked for medium. I received well done. It was thin steak. It had good taste, but was dry.

Another in the group ordered a chopped steak, medium. It came medium well.

The rest seemed to have recieved what they ordered as they ordered it.

The soup was most likely pre-prepared, but was better than some.

The service was excellent. The mini ice cream cone with sorbet in it, in between the soup and the main dish, was a nice touch.

The bread served with the dinner went well with the oil in the bottom of the bread dish.

I ordered Pinot Noir with my dinner. I believe what I got was a merlot. And a crappy one at that.

Overall, I guess I would not go back, or maybe I'd give them a second chance. Maybe they had an off day. The waitress did say the owner had to cook that day, so, maybe the usual cook was sick or something.

Lots of Capone era memorabelia in the place. Maybe a bit over the top. There was a BMW outside, probably the owner's, with fake bullet holes all over it.

Nice view of the Fox River.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
You should have sent your steak back. There is no excuse for not getting it the way you ordered it.

waybomb

Re: Al Capone's Hideout - in between Elgin and St Charles

Mav - not your fault! The owner of the place fault!

PieSusan - nice thought. My first job was in a high class restaurant as a bus boy. There ain't no way I am sending anything back to the kitchen. Ever. Saw too much.