You know what I miss?

chowhound

As I was walking around the house this morning, resetting the clocks that were either flashing PF or 12:00, I realized that I miss having an analog wall clock that actually plugs in, so I know how long the power was out for. The power could have flickered or it could have been out for six hours.... I have no way of knowing.

So here's one for the "old days" :alc:

Not that it really makes a difference how long it's out for if I'm sleeping anyway, but it would be nice to know.

Is there anything you miss? Sometimes it seems like I notice a trend to get back to the way things used to be done, as evidenced in part by Warren's wood fired outdoor oven. Like maybe all this technology has left us missing something. Good thing I don't rely on the auto setting on my coffeemaker or I don't know what I would have done. :lol: Making coffee every morning is one of my, do it in my sleep rituals.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
When my alarm clocks reset, they reset at 12:00 AM, but begin running again. So when I see the time flashing, such as 2:37 AM, I know the power went out. I then check the real time and then do the math to see how long it was out.

So, if it is really 8:37 AM, but the clock says 2:37 AM, I know the clock has only been on for 2 hours and 37 minutes, meaning it lost 6 hours of power.

But yeah, an analog clock would be easier. :lol:

Most of the stuff I miss is really geeky, so I won’t bore you! :yum:

chowhound

I miss the time when all phones had cords.

Lee

Yeah, if you rely on cordless phones and don't have a cell phone or a standby phone with a cord, no phone calls for you in a power outage.

Keltin, the only clock I have that restarts is one of those that will reset itself to the correct time. I can't believe none of thte others start again. They just flash. I know what you mean though. It seems at one point I had one like that.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I can't say that I miss this, since I never had it. I would like to have a life where time was irrelevant.

chowhound

Yeah, pre-cellphone era...
How can something so convenient be such a PITA? I get customers sitting in my parking lot yaking on their cells right through their appointment time, for 15 minutes, then they come in as someone else shows up right on time. I make em wait. Cell phones have definitely contributed to people's rudeness towards one another.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I miss written invitations and thank you cards. I miss calling cards, too, for that matter.
I miss the days when a man took his hat off when he entered a building.
I miss the days of stores actually wrapping up your purchases with respect for the money you just spent.
I miss eye contact.
I miss appropriate footwear.
I miss salutations.
I miss the written english language.
I miss the spoken english language.
I miss holidays that meant stores were closed instead of packed full of poor quality clothing on sale and crowded with people with no reverence for the holiday or the people forced to work it .
I miss the bells of the good humor truck.