NCT Cooks Challenge 24 Oct 11-Oct 18 DESSERT

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
1. Pasta (unstuffed, filled or otherwise layered)
2. Duck
3. Something from the ocean/pond/lake/stream/river/puddle
4 Ground Cow
5. Smoked Pig
6 Cream
7 Your favourite spice
8 Your favourite herb
9 Stew
10. Middle Eastern
11. Chinese
12. Seasonal vegetable of your choice (must be 'in' season)
13. Dessert

#13 - Dessert!! Pudding, Cake, Pie, Custard, Tart, Brownie, Cookie, Pastry

We all have a sweet tooth for something now and then!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
At first, this seemed insurmountable, but now that I think about it, I got a few things for this!

mhend

This will be fun! You can do it Keltin! :) I remember some pics you posted of a carrott cake you made some time ago. Looked fantastic!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
At first, this seemed insurmountable, but now that I think about it, I got a few things for this!

What? You NEVER make any dessert items, K?

Even I do, a few times a year!

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
What? You NEVER make any dessert items, K?

Even I do, a few times a year!

Lee

Nope, hardly at all. Unless I'm specifically challenged with dessert, I never make it. We never eat dessert. My POV is to fill up on dinner then roll away and sleep! :yum:

But, it's not to say I can't. I have a few ideas, one that even Vera may like.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Keltin...Vera would very much appreciate being amused. The weight of the world, and all that, yes...?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin...Vera would very much appreciate being amused. The weight of the world, and all that, yes...?

Yes Mistress, I shall strive hard. I'm actually excited to do this particular dish. I'll do my best. In the end, I think you'll be a very good judge of whether or not I pulled it off! :thumb:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Bananas Foster!

I used this recipe from Brennan’s in New Orleans - the inventor of the dish (see link).

DW isn’t a fan of the soft bananas (or bananas in general), but she raved about the sauce with the vanilla ice cream. I didn’t use Banana Liquor as I didn’t have any. The first pic is the flambé and you can just see the blue flame. It’s kind of hard to set a dish on fire, kill the lights, and then snag a pic before it’s too late. :biggrin:

http://www.brennansneworleans.com/r_bananasfoster.html

Attachments

• bf1.jpg
    bf1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 212
  • bf2.jpg
    bf2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 218
  • bf3.jpg
    bf3.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 215

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
That looks great Keltin!!

My aunt made this dish once at my house. Scared the hell outta the 2 cats we had at the time. She made crepes and used them in the dish also. (I didn't check your link yet)

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Fried Peach Pie

Attachments

• fried-peach-pie.jpg
    fried-peach-pie.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 224

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Keltin and Mama, those both look wonderful!

Mouthwateringly beautiful!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
OH MAMA!! Nuff said!!

I am afraid to look for the recipe ........... I may find it and it will FORCE me to make it and EAT it!! LOL :whistling:

Ok you didn't post the recipe. You must post it. LOL So I can test my will power!! Please

Last edited:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, you did it perfectly!! You know, you get to have that dessert at Brennan's as part of their regular 3-course breakfast!

Mama, the pies looks incredible!

Guts

Keltin same way I make mine but do get some banana liquor, I bought some just for bananas faster, It's worth the cost IMO

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Cherry Cobbler

Kinda splatted on the plate like road-kill. Maybe I should've drained the cherries or used less butter. Taste darn good though. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• cherry1.jpg
    cherry1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 188
  • cherry2.jpg
    cherry2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 192
  • cherry3.jpg
    cherry3.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 198

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Can't hold a candle to Keltin and Mama, but this looks like the best I'm going to do for dessert this week - I seldom make a fancy dessert unless we have company coming over, and no one is scheduled this weekend, for a change. I made these scrumptious Oatmeal Butterscotch bars from a Cook's Country (CI) recipe. You can find the recipe here:http://familyspiceblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/oatmeal-butterscotch-bars.html

If you have a bag of butterscotch chips cluttering up your pantry, then you MUST make these...the chips are melted (in a ton of butter, of course), and the whole process is a little unique, but very quick and easy. They are delicious. Now, I have to figure out ways to get more butterscotch chips. MORE butterscotch chips.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 195

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Those look AMAZING Karen! I'd so love one or two with my coffee in the morning!!! Incredible! :clap:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Dessert! :clap: I'm weighing in on this one. I just put dessert in the fridge. This is one of those oldies but goodies that made a big hit in the 50's. You don't see it around as much anymore, but by request, I dug it out of my repertoire.

We haven't cut into it yet - my guests don't arrive until 5. But I'll try to remember to catch a pic of the inside when we cut it.

French Silk Pie in a Graham Cracker Crust with Milk Chocolate Curls

Attachments

• french silk pie 008.jpg
    french silk pie 008.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 168
  • french silk pie 011.jpg
    french silk pie 011.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 174

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
OH that is SO beautiful! Aren't you glad you captured a picture of it for posterity? Great job on the chocolate curls, SS. Lucky guests!