Hobo Platter

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
This is kind of a favorite breakfast around here.

What you will need (For two or three)

Eggs - Two for each person.
Red potatoes, small - four or five.
Onion - 1 medium
Salt to taste
Basil to taste
Fresh ground back pepper to taste
Pinch of crushed red pepper to taste
half a pound of small breakfast sausage links.

What to do

Cut the potatoes into small cubes, about 1/8 inch.
Gut the onion into similar size pieces.
Put some canola oil in the bottom of a cast iron frying pan and heat.
Add a pat of butter for a bit of flavor.
put the potatoes and onions in.
Salt, pepper, red pepper and basil to taste.

At the same time you start the potatoes, start browning the sausage.

As the potatoes and onions start to brown, cut the sausages into about quarter in slices and add to the potatoes.

As the potatoes are nearly done start frying tow eggs.

Pu the potatoes on a plate, I use a salad plate.

Put the eggs on top of the potatoes.

Last thing I do before eating is to take my fork and drill through the yolks letting that mix with the potatoes, onions and sausage.

Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0296.jpg
    tn_IMG_0296.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 230
  • tn_IMG_0297.jpg
    tn_IMG_0297.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 231
  • tn_IMG_0298.jpg
    tn_IMG_0298.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 226
K

Kimchee

Yeah, that's a breakfast worth mentioning!
Now I want some... sigh.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
WOW!!! Beautiful job, with both the breakfast and the photos, Andy!

That looks spectacular!

Lee

PanchoHambre

Yum! yeah and made right with iron. The plating is a bit unhobo though.... the back of a license plate would add authenticity!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Panchohambre. I have always felt that cast iron adds to the flavor of fried foods. It is all I use for frying.

Here in NJ we used to have a restaurant called LePeep. They do some amazing things with breakfasts. They had a group of meals they called skillets. It was a one pan meal with eggs on top. I do not remember my favorites, or how they were made. I decided to try to come up with a one pan meal reminiscent of skillets.

I started out making the potatoes like that years ago, I called them "Jersey Shore Potatoes" I first made them a week that we rented a house at the shore. Then I decided to put the eggs on top. Hey! don't need bread. Last weekend, I decided to put the sausage in with the potatoes.

I think I am headed toward some green peppers, maybe Jalapenos, who knows where it will go.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That looks wonderful Andy!

I make one very similar to that but I add onions, mushrooms, red and green peppers along with either bacon or sausage. Once the potatoes are nicely browned, I make a several wells and crack an egg into each well, add a small amount of water and cover just long enough to steam the top of the eggs.

Attachments

• breakfastskillet.jpg
    breakfastskillet.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 205

PanchoHambre

Thank you Panchohambre. I have always felt that cast iron adds to the flavor of fried foods. It is all I use for frying.

Here in NJ we used to have a restaurant called LePeep.

I think I am headed toward some green peppers, maybe Jalapenos, who knows where it will go.

Ha I know lepeep from houston.. did not know they were in the NE sadly they seem focused on north jersey!

you cant go wrong with jalapenos and breakfast!

Cast Iron is the only thing to fry in. Agreed.

hobo platter is a good name BTW my brother has been riding trains around the country since he was 16 and it is exactly the type of breakfast he would make. He travels with iron too (in a van these days)