Make Lentils Taste Good?

Newnork1978

My husband loves Lentils. I don't have anything against them, necessarily, but they often taste plain and kind of chalky (to me). I want to give Lentils a fair try before I determine whether or not I like 'em.

I tried looking in the vegetarian section, I tried looking for beans/lentils recipes, but I didn't find anything. Does anyone have a good Lentil recipe I can try?

Lentils.jpg

lilylove

This is one of our favorites!

Lentil and spinach soup
1 cup onion chopped

1/2 cup celery chopped

1/2 cup carrots chopped ( I used the baby carrots)

5 cloves garlic chopped

2 teaspoons dried oregano

1 bay leaf

2 teaspoons dried basil

1 can diced tomato ( 14 oz)

1 cup lentils

4 cups broth ( I used 2 cups chicken and 2 cups beef)

1 cup chopped baby spinach

Saute onion, celery, carrot and garlic in a few tablespoons of oil ( I used olive) until soft but not brown.

Add basil, oregano and bay leaf. Coof for a few more minutes.

Add your tomatoes and other liquid.

Add Lintils and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat. Cook for about an hour or until lentils are soft.

Add your spinach and cook until it wilts, this takes only a few minutes....

Pour in to bowls.

You can add a few tablespoons of vinegar if you want.

Also salt and pepper but... I found that the canned tomatoes had enough salt in them.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
cooking them in stock adds flavor. i'm also a fan of lentil soup.

Newnork1978

This is one of our favorites!

Lentil and spinach soup
1 cup onion chopped

1/2 cup celery chopped

1/2 cup carrots chopped ( I used the baby carrots)

5 cloves garlic chopped

2 teaspoons dried oregano

1 bay leaf

2 teaspoons dried basil

1 can diced tomato ( 14 oz)

1 cup lentils

4 cups broth ( I used 2 cups chicken and 2 cups beef)

1 cup chopped baby spinach

Saute onion, celery, carrot and garlic in a few tablespoons of oil ( I used olive) until soft but not brown.

Add basil, oregano and bay leaf. Coof for a few more minutes.

Add your tomatoes and other liquid.

Add Lintils and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat. Cook for about an hour or until lentils are soft.

Add your spinach and cook until it wilts, this takes only a few minutes....

Pour in to bowls.

You can add a few tablespoons of vinegar if you want.

Also salt and pepper but... I found that the canned tomatoes had enough salt in them.

Sounds delicious...think I'll give it a shot sometime soon. :thumb:

Constance

If you're not a vegetarian, Put some smoked sausage or a ham hock in your soup, along with chopped onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and even maybe a few diced potatoes. Do not be stingy with the salt. A good hot sauce, like Louisiana Hot Sauce, is a good accent, and fix a pan of cornbread to go with.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
If you're not a vegetarian, Put some smoked sausage or a ham hock in your soup, along with chopped onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and even maybe a few diced potatoes. Do not be stingy with the salt. A good hot sauce, like Louisiana Hot Sauce, is a good accent, and fix a pan of cornbread to go with.
i love Louisiana Hot Sauce!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is my absolute favorite stew, Newnork.

Lee

Crockpot Lamb and Lentil Soup

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 cups Swiss chard, spinach, or escarole, chopped
  • 1 pound lentils
  • 4 lamb shanks
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 8 cups water
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
PREPARATION:

Combine onions and garlic in the slow cooker with greens lentils, lamb shanks, salt, pepper, and water. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours. Add lemon juice, adjust seasonings, and serve.

joec

Gold Site Supporter

I do agree with this method as it is so close to my method of making them. I really love lentils myself but not much on cornbread though.

Newnork1978

Sounds delicious...thanks! :smile:

Newnork1978

This is my absolute favorite stew, Newnork.

Lee

Crockpot Lamb and Lentil Soup

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 cups Swiss chard, spinach, or escarole, chopped
  • 1 pound lentils
  • 4 lamb shanks
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 8 cups water
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
PREPARATION:

Combine onions and garlic in the slow cooker with greens lentils, lamb shanks, salt, pepper, and water. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours. Add lemon juice, adjust seasonings, and serve.

Mmmm. Sounds time-consuming, but worth it. :thumb: Can't wait to give it a shot...thanks!

Newnork1978

I do agree with this method as it is so close to my method of making them. I really love lentils myself but not much on cornbread though.

I love, love, love cornbread. I like both regular and sweet cornbread...but sweet cornbread is my favorite. I like putting actual corn in my cornbread, too.
:smile:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Spaghetti and Lentils

lentil soup (Recipe flows)onenote:#PRINT: Lentil Soup (ar)&se...les\Recipes - One Note\Salad, Soup, Pasta.one
1 (or 2 if needed)(8 oz. can) Plain Tomato sauce
1 cup (plus) Water
1 cup (plus) Dry red wine
Salt and ground black pepper - to taste
1 lb. Spaghetti - uncooked

In pot add first 5 ingredients and bring to a boil. Break spaghetti in half and add to pot. Stir well and bring back to boil. Lower heat and simmer till spaghetti is done to your liking. Add additional sauce, water or wine if needed to cook spaghetti. Will be thick or you can add more water, wine or tomato sauce to your liking.

Lentil soup

Fresh garlic - chopped fine - to taste
Onion - chopped small - to taste
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
Carrots - peeled and chopped small - to taste - optional
Salt and ground black pepper
1 lb. Bag lentils
2 quarts water (or chicken stock, vegetable stock, beef stock or a combination of all 4 may be used. I just use water)

Heat olive oil in pot. Add onion and garlic; cook on low heat till soft but not brown. Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes. Serve over rice for a complete protein meal.