decorated easter eggs - candy types....

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
years ago one got highly decorated chocolate/coconut/cream Easter eggs. this pix is from 1971'ish and it's not really as elaborate as most. reason: I was deployed on an aircraft carrier, my parents sent me a couple CARE packages - this Easter eggs arrived with one tiny little chunk of hard icing broken off. a can of Boston brown bread arrived totally smashed . . . go figure....

not able to turn up even an internet sales site for these - any leads?

Attachments

• EasterEgg.jpg
    EasterEgg.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 159
  • img439.jpg
    img439.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 140

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
thanks! I did turn up a See's link but it was just some wimpy oversized bite thing . . .

we just liked BBB - and it's non-perishable and one would think comma 'safe' inside a metal can. I did three Med deployments - 10 mns + 8 mns (transferred) and 7 mns. after 5-6 months even cardboard from home tastes good . . .

passing Rock of Gibraltar / liberty in Malta

Attachments

• img410.jpg
    img410.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 141
  • img423.jpg
    img423.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 136

Johnny West

years ago one got highly decorated chocolate/coconut/cream Easter eggs. this pix is from 1971'ish and it's not really as elaborate as most. reason: I was deployed on an aircraft carrier, my parents sent me a couple CARE packages - this Easter eggs arrived with one tiny little chunk of hard icing broken off. a can of Boston brown bread arrived totally smashed . . . go figure....

not able to turn up even an internet sales site for these - any leads?

I love the F 4 Phantom's.

Lee, you have See's out East? I thought they were a West coast candy. My fav is the chocolate covered coconut and the orange.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lee, you have See's out East? I thought they were a West coast candy.

A friend told me of them, and the only time I've seen them is online. They are distributed here, mainly through Lord & Taylor stores, which explains why I've never seen them.

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Did you see the eggs that are just shells? You break them open and there's a white chocolate chick in them.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Sees is originally a west coast company but they do have 'shops' scattered all over -
my father worked at John Wanamaker in Phila - the candy department always had very elaborately decorated eggs - small/medium/large. much fancier than anything I've found "lately"

if you promised to be good, they'd let the snipes up in fresh air twice a month. otherwise this was my usual vista: (and a Maltese Cat - as affectionate as scruffy was he....)

Attachments

• img408.jpg
    img408.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 133
  • img481.jpg
    img481.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 128

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you for sharing those excellent photos, C-man.

And thank you for your service!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I had a good time in the Navy - challenging, but rewarding.

here's something you may have limited opportunity to see close up - underway replenishment - oiler in the middle pumping fuel to the carrier on the other side and the tin can (my side). three ships roughly 100 feet apart - this takes a bit of seamanship....

Attachments

• img609.jpg
    img609.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 123
  • img607.jpg
    img607.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 121

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
third trip - I was relieved (....right....) to see it had not gone missing.....

every time I see the 2nd pix it recalls "The Guns of Navaronne"

Attachments

• img603.jpg
    img603.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 124
  • img602.jpg
    img602.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 130

Johnny West

Yes, thank you for your service. That must be the Roosevelt then? After they retired the F 4's I happened to drive by the base in Panama City and saw many rows of the planes in long rows and have now wondered if they are destroyed or in AZ.

There is a See's store in every major mall here in the Seattle/Tacoma area. The one in our little mall closed due to lack of business. I get 2 or three pieces of candy every time I go to the Tacoma Mall but don't get there often.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
yup. I did two deployments on the FDR and the third on (then) DE1089.
the carrier in the pix is CVA59 - USS Forrestal (aka USS ForrestFire, her flight deck conflagration is quite famous . . . )

all the US F4's have been retired, but some middle east countries still fly them.

Johnny West

I was just reading the wikipedia write up on the Forrestal fire. Tragic.

My bud here in Tacoma flew Hawkeye's off the Enterprise but was not close when it had it's mishap. He got some R&R in HI during repairs.

We got the See's catalog in yesterday's mail and will have to see what the Easter bunny will bring.