Thermawand

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm thinking about getting one of these - Lavatools Javelin Digital Instant Read Food and Meat thermometer. I've read some discussions on some BBQ and Smoking Meats forums, and most of the talk is positive. Amazon reviews are mostly all positive.

I like the price ($25) better than the Thermapen price, and I think the read time (4 seconds) is fine for me. Someone said that you can't calibrate them, but I don't know how to do that and probably wouldn't do it even if I did know.

Any thoughts on these things? Have you ever used one or know someone who has used one?

chilefarmer

Cooksie, I have the Thermapen. Have used it for maybe four years now, No trouble. I like it for using on the pit and also really good for making cheese and yogurt. I am sure a cheaper one with quick read out would be just as good. CF:smile:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Thermapen made its bones by producing a quality device of the quick reading sort.

there are different 'technologies' available for measuring temperature. the biggies are thermocouples and thermisters. thermisters are more expensive, and 'faster'

looking at the specs of Thermapen & the Javelin,,,,,
Thermapen has better accuracy by tenths
Thermapen has better speed by tenths

if one can believe any of the adverting hype from any of them . . .

your question is quite valid: is it worth 4x the cost to get a temp 0.1 second faster?

features, reliability, etc are a side issue - but can be extremely important issues.
auto-shut down for example. I didn't specifically look, but without an auto-shut-off feature, replacing a $7 battery every week gets real tiresome.

#1 daughter gave me a really neat timer for Christmas one year - one can set each of four separate timers to count up, count down, etc etc - and they all have a different beep tone. but, for whatever reason, even when not in use the battery dies in about two months. so, I have it, I use it. but after every "cooking a thousand things" meal, I remove the battery....

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks you two :)

I had to go back and check on the questions and answers, and the answer from the seller regarding what type of technology was:
"Yes! It uses a high-performance thermistor sensor." So that makes me happy.

It says it is auto-shut off when you close it or after 60 minutes. We'll see. Accuracy and speed by tenths, I can live with. I've actually already ordered it. I got antsy.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a Thermopen and I agree with chilefarmer - you should be fine with the unit you ordered, Cooksie.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
After I've used it a couple of times, I'll report back on the good and the bad.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
absolutely required!

Thermapen needs some competition. their pricing is a bit . . . ah . . . whatever....

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've used the thermawand many, many times so far. It does shut off when closed. It's quick, never timed it though. I haven't found any cons so far, so I'd definitely recommend it.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
excellent news! a whole lot of people shy away from the Thermapen price tag - with good reason - it's not cheap.

but they still need a fast read - the Javelin is a much more affordable/reasonable price point.