Net Cooking Talk

Go Back   Net Cooking Talk > Cooking Talk Forums > Diet Recipes Forum > Medically Eating - Tips and Tricks Forum

Old 05-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Food Sound Eng.

Thanked 1,415 Times in 447 Posts
dansdiamond is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cancer Cachexia

I got my Computer back today I missed Warren's & Anetta's Post from yesterday. here is today!

Friday, May 15, 2009 6:53 PM, EDT

I want to receive Journal update notification e-mails.

The only thing different about Warren today is his almost insatiable appetite. He has had four cans of formula through the tube and three small meals already; he plans to ingest another two cans of formula prior to bedtime.

Tomorrow is a shower day; I feel as if it must be Christmas morning and I’m about to receive a long awaited present – a notable weight gain on Warren’s now boney and angular frame.

We are all set for our consultation with the doctor on Sunday. I made sure Warren’s blood test and pathological test results got faxed to her office today. I also picked up Warren’s permanent Handicapped Parking Permit yesterday so we can get a close parking place. I will fold up his wheel chair and take it with us – he will need to be wheeled in no matter how close we get.

Yesterday evening, I Googled the two alternative treatment substances recommended by friends – Cancell and Cantron. From Google I found a very interesting Web site at http://alternativecancer.us/. The site is fascinating and I will be studying it carefully. On it I will be able to compare a lot of widely accepted alternative treatments.I quickly found out that Cancell and Cantron are very similar with only slight variations.

The writers explain another interesting natural cure I’ve read about, too, called “Hydrazine Sulfate (HZ)”. In short, “Hydrazine sulfate blocks a liver enzyme that is needed for the liver to support cachexia, the wasting away experienced by most advanced cancer patients.” HZ can be obtained cheaply and easily from any doctor.

To quote the site: “alternativecancer
.us is conscientiously maintained by a team of generous individuals* lead by Paul Winter* cancer survivor, author, healer, and alternative health publisher since 1989. The over 200 pages of concisely written text covers a wide range of alternative cancer information.”

I must say that this alternative cancer site is not friendly to Western medicine or the Western diet and they have good and compelling arguments for their positions. I already hold fast to several of their views concerning diet, such as not using the empty calories in sugar and carbohydrate laden substances to boost Warren’s calorie intake. I’m sorry, but no one could EVER convince me that lots of white sugar has any place in any diet no matter what the reason. I’ve managed to develop high calorie recipes that Warren really enjoys using NO white sugar or processed foods that his dietician suggested I use. My recipes have been posted on www.netcookingtalk.com with the help of my high school friend Dan Diamond under the heading Medically Eating-Tips & Tricks.

Regarding those “dark times” I wrote about in yesterday’s journal entry, I received a message from a good friend this morning. Her words of comfort literally brought tears to my eyes. She has been in both roles with her husband - caretaker and patient. I'm very excited to have this viewpoint from one who has been both patient AND caretaker in a long time marriage relationship - a perfect reference! I'm sure our guest readers will be glad to be made aware of what could happen under similar circumstances, while, all the while, hoping that they will never need the knowledge.

The note from my friend today is written so perfectly and eloquently that I asked her permission to quote her in these pages. She is happy to be quoted but asked me to leave names out because her husband is a very private man.

I fully understand. Warren is also a very private man - that's why I thought long and hard and waited for God's guidance before I wrote about my feelings. I became convinced, however, that people do understand that Warren was not himself during those days and therefore not accountable for our time in the dark.

Dear Arnetta,
Just a quick email to say that what you're experiencing isn't unusual. Every time my husband goes through something life-threatening, it seems to feel the same. Even though you're talking, each person has too much going on in their own brain to be totally connected with the other. (It was especially difficult after his stroke, when he couldn't speak.) It's also an effort to try to explain how you feel, when you don't have the strength to form coherent thoughts. And there are so many feelings to try to sort out!
Yes, your actions will irritate Warren at times, but that's because you're always there, you're not company for whom he's putting on a happy face, and he's comfortable with you. I try to remember that's the ultimate compliment.

It isn't just male patients. My husband feels many of the same things when something major happens to me.

I also think the isolation is partly due to the brain trying to process the situation, the inevitable shock of "what ifs," the loss of control, and running on adrenaline when our instinct to fight takes command. No matter how many people are surrounding you, your body still needs to process and respond, as only you can do for yourself.

Hang in there. You're doing great!
That seems like a good way to end this evenings entry. Warren is waiting for me to watch an educational feature to clear up some DVD room for recording. Now that is much more like my Warren!
Old 05-17-2009, 12:02 AM
Food Sound Eng.

The Grand Canyon Syndrome!

Arnetta & Warren May 16, 2009

Not to disappoint me, Warren weighed in at 137.25 this morning – up 1.5 pounds! The down side of his eating binge yesterday is that today Warren suffers from what has become known in our household as the Grand Canyon Syndrome. Other names for it might be “Eyes Bigger than Stomach” or “The Tortoise and the Hare”.

After eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner, besides consuming four cans of tube fed formula throughout the day, Warren went to bed chewing antacids. He was disappointed that he couldn’t fit in the other two cans of formula he had hoped to stuff down. All day, I kept warning him to slow down and not try to do it all at once. Today we are doing 5 cans of formula – 2 ½ at a time and three mini meals. Warren seems very comfortable now.

I suppose you are asking, “What does that have to do with the Grand Canyon?” Fair question. In November of 1973 Warren and I visited the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Around noon, while standing at the head of the Kaibob Trail which goes to the floor of the Canyon, Warren decided we should try to hike down there; sounded like fun so we grabbed a little water and went merrily on our way. After 2 ½ hours, while the floor of the canyon still looked pretty far away, we suddenly remembered that, in spite of the warmer temperatures of November in Arizona making it seem like summer, it was going to be getting dark fairly early. As in most (if not all) desert climes, dark in November in Arizona means very COLD, and we were dressed in shorts and short sleeves! Well, no problem, it was only 2:30 in the afternoon and we were just 2 ½ hours down. We should be up to the top around 5pm, right? Ahhh, the innocence of youth!

Warren, with his long legs, took off up the trail like a bat out of you know where, while I plodded along as best I could behind him. The first time he stopped it was to wait for me to catch up a bit, then he was off again – just a bit slower this time. After a while I rounded the corner and there, reclining on a rock and breathing like a bellows, was my Warren. When he saw me he got up again and off we went. I still hadn’t stopped to rest. It took one more time of stopping and waiting for me before it dawned on Warren that maybe I was doing it the right way – slow and steady wins the race, they say. At least it’s apt to keep you alive! About half way up from where we started, we both stopped to rest for a few minutes. We made it to the top just before sunset. It was probably around 6:30pm.

Through the years, there have been many more incidents of Grand Canyon Syndrome in Warren’s life. He knows exactly what I mean when I say, “Remember the Grand Canyon”, and it always slows him down, too!

We are looking forward to our doctor appointment tomorrow. It occurred to me yesterday that recently a friend at church told me about a procedure involving stones – I can’t remember at the moment whether it was gallstones or kidney stones. I was fascinated when he told me that no surgery was involved to remove them. Doctors just disintegrated them with a blast of sound waves and the body flushed them out. My neighbor just confirmed my memory of the account when she told me that’s how her husband’s kidney stones were removed. Maybe we will blast away at that tumor on the pancreas!!!!! We still need to deal with the pleural cancer so there is a lot of research to do beyond tomorrow. I pray God leads me to some good answers.

Warren seems very stable today so I don’t believe there will be any more news to report and it’s time for me to get to work. Have a nice week end everyone. I’ll let you know how it goes tomorrow! Say a little prayer for us, please (or a big one!).
Old 05-18-2009, 01:26 AM
Food Sound Eng.

Some uplifting news from Warren & Arnetta Whitehouse
Sunday, May 17, 2009 7:06 PM, CDT
I am very happy to write the evening report I promised earlier today regarding our Sunday afternoon doctor appointment.

Warren and I were both VERY impressed with the doctor we met today. She practices many disciplines, including traditional medicine, but with an emphasis on holistic and alternative medicine. She was happy to hear we are looking at vegetarianism, too. She did tell us to make sure we get enough protein. I’ll do some research. I also have friends, including Justin’s fiancée, Kate, that are healthy vegetarians so they can clue us in, I’m sure.

Regarding the no meat diet, a friend from ASI wrote, ”At VegFest, I caught the tail end of the presentation on cancer [it went over the allotted time in the last hour of the event, and I, as the lecture coordinator, was trying to close up] and a man in the audience gave his personal testimony as a cancer survivor. He emphasized in regards to his own change of diet that cancer cells CANNOT thrive in an alkaline environment, which he felt was the key thing, and all animal products, and a lot of processed foods, which might not even be of animal origin, are acid producing. Of course that includes fish even without the mercury. And on the other hand, citrus fruits, while acidic, actually become alkaline when processed by human saliva!”

The RIFE machine is extremely fascinating and we are going to try it. It will take me a while to compile all my notes about the amazing things we saw and heard today (including a patient or two).

Trust me, although we went into today’s meeting open minded, we were still somewhat skeptical and we aren’t easily deluded! Nor, as anyone who knows us will tell you, do we spend money without very good reason - especially not significant amounts of money (as well as reason)!

It was interesting to note that RIFE is used frequently as acceptable treatment for all kinds of ailments, including cancer, in Canada and other countries with socialized medicine. In that situation there are no huge profits to be made from illness, so keeping the cost of effective treatment affordable, is important to the government.

Regarding Warren’s individual program, the doctor will write the RIFE programs Warren uses so that they don’t interfere with chemo if we and the doctor decide that Warren is strong enough to continue with chemo therapy. The new doctor says there is no reason not to do chemo in conjunction with her RIFE treatment as long as the chemo doesn’t “fry” Warren’s liver. One of the very few cancer victims she lost had already had his liver virtually destroyed by chemo before he sought her help. So far, Warren’s liver is still healthy.

I probably won’t be posting my notes regarding today's meeting on Caring Bridge in their entirety but you will get snippets now and then as Warren goes through the RIFE processes.

By the way, we found out today for the very first time that they finally did find cancer cells in the lung fluid. Also, the lung cancer did, in fact, originate from the pancreas. No one ever bothered to tell us that at Henry Ford even though we asked repeatedly if there was ever any proof that it was cancer in the lungs and not something else. The pathology report they sent to this new doctor reports the finding as of April 1, 2009 from a specimen of fluid taken from the left lung on March 30, 2009.

Stay tuned for further developments and please keep the prayers coming!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Food Sound Eng.

NEW CANCER TREATMENT

See All Photos
Arnetta's & Warren's Journal

Monday, May 18, 2009 4:36 PM, EDT

Warren’s weight was stable at 137.25 this morning. We were pleased that he hadn’t lost any ground yesterday when his feeding schedule was a bit disjointed and disrupted by our four-hour odyssey to meet with our new doctor. Warren was much too tired to eat or be tube fed by the time we got home.

As I am writing this entry, Warren is anticipating his enjoyment of a meal of stuffed shells that our good friend Helga delivered this afternoon. He loved them last time she made them. He has yet to enjoy any of the spinach lasagna from our neighbor, Faith, which I took out of the freezer for yesterday's dinner. However, I can vouch for it’s deliciousness because I had some for my dinner last night! There are two defrosted servings left in the fridge so Warren will be able to try one tomorrow at dinnertime.

Overall, Warren continues to be very weak, short of breath and ashen in color. However, his color is not jaundiced and the whites of his eyes are still white. All those are positive signs that his liver is still functioning well, and his blood work bears that theory out.

The rest of this journal entry is the first installment of my compiled notes from our visit with the new doctor. To protect her anonymity as she has requested, I will henceforth refer to this doctor as Dr. New.

RIFE NOTES
5-17-09

We arrived at Dr. New’s office at around 3:00 pm. We expected to be the only patients on a Sunday but there was one patient leaving when we arrived and two more patients were in other rooms receiving treatments. Despite the other clients present, for the most part we received the doctor’s undivided attention during the next two hours.

One of the two patients in a room had her feet in a tub of clean tap water. At one point, while we were with Dr. New, the doctor excused herself to go and help the foot soaking patient finish her footbath treatment. The doctor explained to us that she was going to leave the footbath intact so that we could see what had become of the clear water that her patient had started out with. I asked the doctor if that was like those patches I see that you put on the bottom of your feet while you sleep. By morning they supposedly become stained brown with toxins drawn from your body. Dr. New then kind of chuckled and said that those pads do draw some toxins but far less efficiently than the RIFE footbath. When Warren and I saw the water in the footbath, we were astounded – it looked like very dark and thick consommé (sorry if that spoils your appetite for beef broth!).

Like the other patients we saw in her office, Warren and I were totally comfortable with Dr. New. How many doctors work on Sunday and kick back in their office in blue jeans, a short sleeved casual (but nice) t-shirt, and (I couldn’t help but notice) bare feet? She’s kind of like the doctor equivalent of one of the things our clients loved about our legal service – a friendly and casual at home feeling.

Dr. New could see that Warren was struggling to breath and talk, so she asked me if I would relay his story to her. I had also filled out her new client questionnaire so she had the outline of Warren’s past medical history in front of her on which to make notes, which she did continually. I’ve told the story of Warren’s previously good health and cancer diagnoses to so many people and so many doctors that I could tell it in my sleep – she listened to every word, made notes and asked many, many questions.

For purposes of immediate help and relief for Warren, Dr. New wrote a script for an updated wheelchair and a tub handrail for him. She also gave us information on how to obtain very affordable things that will bring Warren prompt improvements in comfort and, as Dr. New says, make him “feel much more perky in two or three days”: Ave Mar capsules prevent cancer cells from being able to feed on sugar that they encounter, Bio plasma is used to build red blood cells, Juice Plus, made by a local pharmacists will give Warren the equivalent of 14 fruits and vegetables in just four capsules per day; a homeopathic appetite stimulant that may work better than Megace; and finally, “Perfect Water” – bottled water with micro instilled extra oxygen molecules.

For the next 90 minutes Dr. New focused totally on us, and the incredible experience began to unfold. That will be Chapter Two – hopefully tomorrow. Tonight, while Dad stays with Warren, I will be attending our Evening Star Circle meeting at church. My good friend Celeste is presenting her program on Eco-Yardening and I want to be there. It has been a long time since I have been inside the doors of our beloved church and seen my friends there.

Stay tuned and please keep the prayers coming. Thanks
Old 05-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Food Sound Eng.

Arnetta & Warren-

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:53 AM, Eastern time

Once Dr. New had found out about Warren, she told us a bit about herself. Dr. New attended medical school and earned her D.O. degree a little later in life (although she looks quite young) then set up her practice. Eventually, one of her patients came to her with a breast cancer diagnosis and asked, “If I were your mother, what would you do for me?” Dr. New immediately thought, “RIFE!” and that started her down a new path.

Dr. New had been fascinated by RIFE technology for a long while but believed it to be illegal. Still, she believed in its efficacy so she decided to dig deeper. She found out that Rife isn’t illegal but it had never gotten FDA approval. Not only that, but there seems to be great pressure from drug cartels and the government to keep it suppressed.

According to the first page of www.truerife.com, “Rife Machine technology is based on the M.O.R., or the mortal oscillatory rate of living organisms. By increasing the intensity of a frequency which resonated naturally with these microbes, Rife states that he increased their natural oscillations until they distorted and disintegrated from structural stresses. This principle can be illustrated by using an intense musical note to shatter a wine glass: the molecules of the glass are already oscillating at some harmonic (multiple) of that musical note: they are in resonance with it. Because everything else has a different resonant frequency, nothing but the glass is destroyed.”

Royal Rife invented his machine in the 1920’s. After successful studies it was hailed by forty four of the nation’s most respected medical authorities at a banquet on November 20, 1931 in honor of Royal Rife and billed as “The End To All Diseases”. Newspapers of the time claimed Rife Technology as “the Cure for All Disease”. Rife’s technology gained rapidly in popularity, but within a few short years his laboratory and all his research was destroyed by some unknown entity; the culprit was never found.

According to www.rife.org, “
Others have followed Rife and have confirmed different aspects of his theory, but since they are few in number and are promoting a cause contrary to the medical establishment's approved philosophy, they are not supported. Even publishing their findings is difficult if not impossible because of the dominant medical orthodoxy which has reigned since the 1930s!”

I have probably given you enough information here that if you are interested in pursuing the subject of RIFE technology, you can take it from this point. Warren and I have witnessed it first hand and we are on board for the ride.

We are glad to have found Dr. New. She is very personable, caring and hard working, and reasonably priced, not to mention brilliant at what she does. She says that the RIFE machine from www.truerife.com comes with programs and instructions, but the secret to her unusual success is that she writes programs tailored to each patient. That’s why, she says, if you study statistics regarding the efficacy of the RIFE machine in other countries where it is widely used, you will not find statistics to match the success she has had with it – her stats are very impressive!

Dr. New’s success has also led her to work long hours and Sundays. She says in the last few weeks she has gotten five calls per week from new cancer patients wanting her RIFE treatments. She is so anxious to help them that she makes it a policy to see each one within one week.

I don’t know how long Dr. New can keep up the pace. She told us that she crashed for 14 hours of sleep before meeting with us after working a few 18 hour days in a row. I sure hope taking care of all us won’t break her. We wouldn’t want to cause her to find her own “mortal oscillatory rate”.

T
he nursery monitor alerts me that I am finishing this just as Warren is waking up for the day so I must go. Later I’ll report on Warren’s day and try to finish my Rife notes so I can conclude the episode of our experience by this evening. Till then, have a great day
Old 05-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Food Sound Eng.

RIFE MACHINE COMES TOMORROW.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:45 PM, EDT

Warren’s weight was up one-half pound this morning to 137.75 in spite of a missed feeding yesterday! I think we may have this cachexia on the run! That is so exciting!

It has been a very busy day today. In my typical day, I get up at 6:30 or so, feed the cats, have my breakfast, take care of e-mail, and any other small and quiet jobs I can do that won’t disturb Warren - like posting this mornings journal entry.

Warren gets up at 8 or 8:30 and we get him dressed. Every other day we give him a shower. Then he is ready to come downstairs for breakfast. We leave the wheelchair at the foot of the stairs each night so he can sit down as soon as he reaches it in the morning. From that time on we use it whenever he wants to move from place to place – he is still too weak to walk more than a few steps without gasping for air.

Warren’s first destination each day is to the couch in the sunroom where he eats breakfast. He starts the day with real food – pancakes, French toast, eggs or mixed cereal.

Between 10 and 11am, I check Warren’s stomach for “residual” by withdrawing his stomach contents through the tube with a syringe. If there is a small amount of residual, I can put it back in, flush the tube with water and begin his tube feeding. If there is a syringe full or more I put it back in and we wait at least another half hour before flushing and feeding. We have found that Warren digests the cereal or the scrambled eggs much sooner than pancakes or French toast. When his stomach is ready, he has two and one half cans of formula through the tube.

Warren likes to try to have a small lunch around noon or 1pm. Then at about 2 or 3pm, we repeat the tube feeding process.

Sometime between 6 and 7 pm Warren enjoys eating as much dinner as he can stuff down – but, unfortunately, it’s never much. If all goes well, he can drink an Ensure Plus before bed to add some calories and nutrition to his diet.

Between those things, I fit in everything else including dispensing all his meds, and multiple wheelchair runs between the sunroom, the lavatory and the game room where Warren likes to stretch out for a good snooze each morning and each afternoon. I use the nursery monitor to go to other parts of the house when Warren is settled in somewhere so I can try to get a few other things accomplished, but it’s never very long before I hear my name called to come back.

Today’s business included ordering all the health supplements the new doctor recommended and the RIFE machine. I also took care of quite a few client concerns that have been weighing heavy on my mind. I need to get our business OFF my mind so that I can have nothing but taking care of Warren ON my mind!

I’m telling you all this, not because I want sympathy – I absolutely LOVE taking care of Warren – it’s the nurse in me coming out, and besides, I love HIM. It’s just that I’m finding it hard to have enough time to do all the writing I would like to do so I’m going to TRY to keep these journal entries shorter for a while. I won’t be doing the rest of the RIFE story that I know some of you are waiting for until another day. I do need to finish my notes soon, though, while the visit is still fresh in my mind, so we will see.

Regarding the RIFE, I personally replied to my wonderful and caring cousin, Dolly’s, Guestbook entry which some of you may have read earlier today.

Most of the people I have talked to have been supportive of our decision to try RIFE so I don’t know if there are others out there who share Dolly’s loving concerns. If so, as I told Dolly, I appreciate your concern, but please note that the critical nurse Dolly talked to is steeped in traditional medicine. She also said that the RIFE machine is “probably” illegal and that’s why the doctor wishes to remain unnamed.

This doctor doesn't want her name known because there is still suppression of the Rife practice by drug companies and the medical community. RIFE is not illegal. She checked that out before she got into it. This doctor is also my good friend's family doctor and licensed as a medical doctor.

The doctor is trying to complete her RIFE study to present to FDA for approval. FDA approval would mean that equipment would be subject to regulations; FDA regulation would prevent scam artists from selling mock equipment that gives RIFE a bad name. All equipment would have to be FDA approved and hopefully people offering RIFE treatments would need to be licensed.

I will be happy to give this doctor's name to anyone who asks me for it as a legitimate prospective patient; and the doctor will be happy to have me do that if her present caseload can bear any additional clients. I just don't want drug companies to pick up on her and start messing around with her. That is why she asked me to keep her name off of the Internet and I totally understand that. Putting her name out there in cyberspace is a lot different than talking to friends and neighbors about her procedures. I need to remember that!

Treatment by frequencies is without risk – maybe one of the few cancer treatments, in fact, that is without risk. Furthermore, we intend to also continue traditional chemo if our oncologist, Dr. Doyle, will okay it for Warren. Dr. Doyle's failure to approve Warren for further chemo is what sent us thinking "outside the box" in the first place.

We do consider our prayers for God's guidance answered. Warren is totally on board with this and was VERY anxious for me to get the machine ordered. He in no way feels like a "guinea pig". The machine should arrive by FED EX tomorrow ready to “plug and play” complete with all the programs that the doctor has written. Hopefully, I can tell you about all those very soon.

Meanwhile, thank you to all of you for your concerns (pro and con) and for your prayers. You are a wonderful extended family!
Old 05-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Food Sound Eng.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:29 PM, EDT

Warren was up another ¼ pound today to 138. His short term goal is 140 but, at least for now, he will be happy to show Dr. Doyle a 5 pound gain at our 2:30 appointment tomorrow afternoon.

I think Warren’s skin tone looks better today. The ashen tone is almost imperceptibly giving way to just a touch of peach!

5-20-09 Warren’s scan – final notes from our interview with the new doctor:
One of the questions Dr. New asked us during our interview was whether there was any cancer in Warren’s family. We can honestly say that we know of no one who suffered and/or died from cancer on Warren’s side of the family (or mine). I know there are family members out there reading this that may be able to inform us otherwise, but Warren, his brother, Bob, and I do not remember any relatives who developed cancer – especially at a relatively young age.

The doctor’s inquiry prompted Warren to say, “We were told at Henry Ford that it is strongly suspected that pancreatic cancer is caused by a virus.” Dr. New said that is correct. She named Epstein Barr Virus and liver flukes as causes for Pancreatic cancer. We asked how those viruses are spread and her answer is scary. The Epstein Barr virus is spread through respiration droplets in the air. Liver flukes can be ingested by drinking impure water or by eating undercooked fish that has been swimming in water where liver flukes are present. That’s why the doctor is afraid of Sushi. She told us that when you cook fish, you should use a meat thermometer to make sure its internal temperature is 160 degrees.

Before starting the scan, Dr. New gave Warren a coiled glass tube connected to a cord and told him to put it under his waistband directly next to his skin. She also gave him a sensor with two contact points to hold in the palm of his hand while keeping the contacts touching the base of his thumb. Both the glass coil and the sensor are then connected by a cable and plugged into the Rife machine which is connected by cable to a laptop computer. With a flick of a switch the scan begins.

During the scan, as the program searches for viruses and bacteria, there is a cheery two note audible sound. Dr. New sat there with Warren’s open file, pen in hand, waiting for the two note tone to change to a single slurred digging sound meaning that it had located a virus, bacteria or parasite resonant frequency.

Within a short time we began to hear the slurred tone and Dr. New would announce what that slurred tone indicated. I don’t remember all of them – she had almost two pages worth of notes by the end of the scan. I do remember when she announced the presence of the Epstein Barr Virus – including all of the markers, and also the liver flukes. She also found the HPV virus (Human Papiloma Virus) responsible for problems related to enlarged prostrate (for which Warren takes a generic of Flomax).

Another slurred tone prompted Dr. New to ask if we have a mold problem anywhere because Warren has an indication of fungus activity in his body. I had to admit that we do have a mold problem in our master bedroom bath. Warren has always had a shower or two in there every day, there is no outside ventilation and he has a thing against using vent fans – in winter they waste heat and in summer they draw out cooler air. There is visible mold in the calk (which I have replaced twice) and behind the toilet where I can’t easily reach to clean thoroughly. Dr. New told us that when she bought her house four years ago she discovered a mold problem in one room; she wrote a program for the Rife machine to kill the mold and she will include that program in our package. We will run the mold kill program during the day when we are downstairs. At that time we can put the Rife machine in our bathroom for four hours. Because the process will produce ozone which is unpleasant to breathe in, we will keep the bathroom door closed. After four hours we can open the door and switch on the exhaust fan or just let the air disperse into a well ventilated room. Sounds like a good job for warm weather.

At another slurred tone, Dr. New asked if we have any pets. We told her “Yes, we have three cats.” She then asked if one or more of the cats throws up a lot. The answer is definitely a resounding, “Yes”. In fact, I clean more of what Diamond eats up off the floor than I scoop out of the litter box. Otherwise, she seems happy and healthy. The doctor told us that Diamond probably has roundworm because Warren has the virus in his system. Roundworm is a common disease in pets which can be transmitted to humans through pet saliva, and cats just love to lick their people. I’ve always enjoyed the lick of a cat with its slightly rough tongue (as opposed to the slippery and slobbery tongue of a dog), but I will definitely always thoroughly wash my face and hands afterwards from now on. Dr. New said she will write a program to cure our cats later but for now she is just worried about Warren. She suggested that I buy Sergeant’s Round Worm medicine from my favorite pet store for now.

Although roundworm causes vomiting in pets, humans who carry the virus are usually symptom free. However, the human body still spends valuable immune response energy fighting any unwelcome intruder. That energy, says Dr. New, could be better spent fighting the cancer. According to her that is the greatest purpose of the Rife technology in treating cancer. It destroys the viruses and other pathogens in the body thus freeing up the immune system to fight the bigger battles. The killed viruses and impurities in the body are what come out during the footbath, causing the clean tap water to turn into the brown microbial soup I described earlier!

Yes, I know, it sounds bizarre. I tell myself so did vaccinations, x-rays, flying machines and the earth circling the sun! God works in mysterious ways!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Food Sound Eng.

Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:39 PM, EDT

Early Morning: I just heard another boom and we are running on generator for the second time this week. I’ll be glad when all the road construction is done around here; probably not near as glad as our neighbors, though. Warren and I thank God for the day that Darren Watts told us about the whole house generator that runs on our natural gas line. The switch to the generator happens seamlessly within about 30 to 45 seconds of the power outage. Because we ran our legal/tax business - fraught with deadlines - out of our house, the whole house generator was a necessary business expense for us; now we can enjoy it in our retirement, too, and we REALLY do!

We wish all things went so smoothly. Possibly due to a computer glich, our RIFE machine ended up in Cincinnati yesterday morning. That machine will be returned to Mike and he has sent out a totally new package to us by FED EX to arrive here tomorrow. We were both disappointed, but Warren especially so. He was looking forward to the possibility of feeling better after using the programs.

A great thing happened last night. At 7:30 or so, a friend from church, Jim, and his mechanically minded neighbor, Frank, came to look at our wide swath mower. They got it running by vigorously cleaning the spark plug and Frank went home. Jim then took our gas cans to fill and came back to mow our back lawn which was 10 inches long – more in some places. It took Jim well over an hour to mow the back because he had to do some of the worst parts twice. He finished mowing just as dark fell, then I went out with a flashlight to help him put the mower back in the shed.

I'm afraid mowing our 1 acre lot (minus house area, etc.) may just be too much for me to add to caring for Warren, trying to declutter and clean the house in case we must eventually sell it, watching after Dad and handling all the other business and details of life. So far, Justin, neighbors and church friends have done the mowing, but I can't expect them to keep it up indefinitely. Justin has his own yard to tend now and many other things to do in the little time he has off from work. We want to enjoy his and Kate’s weekly visits and not have Justin spend most of his limited time here mowing the lawn. We are now in the market for a more permanently scheduled mowing solution for the summer. Before looking into a big company, we were wondering if anyone out there who lives close by has an able kid who is looking for some summer pocket money. Price is very negotiable.

Late afternoon: YES! (Tiger pump here!) Dr. Doyle was duly impressed with Warren’s 5 pound weight gain, his lack of mental fogginess, his returning strength and his recent lack of necessary visits to the emergency room during the past two weeks. Consequently, Dr. Doyle has endorsed the next round of chemo!

Warren will receive his next chemo treatment at 2:00 tomorrow afternoon. It is the first of three, then a week off, then another three, then he is DONE! That is different than Warren and I both swear we were told (well before Warren became so foggy) and different than I have written in my previous notes. However, we aren’t complaining; we are ecstatic that Warren needs much fewer chemo sessions than we originally thought!

We wanted Warren to continue the chemo with or without approval. However, we are very, very glad to have our doctor’s official approval. We worried that if the doctor didn’t approve the chemo, the insurance wouldn’t feel obligated to cover it.

Since I opened the latest bill from Henry Ford today and added up the cost of each of Warren’s chemo treatments - $4981.00 - I’m even more relieved that it is medically sanctioned! That would be an awful large financial burden on top of the potential $3,300 per month for Tarceva that we must pay ourselves. Dr. Doyle sent the new Tarceva RX to Medco – a mail order pharmacy known for better prices – so we do hope that brings the cost down a bit. Dr. Doyle also told us today, that the Tarceva is only taken in conjunction with the chemo - it really doesn’t do any good without the Gemzar. That means we only need to get two more refills of Tarceva. Life is getting better!

Finally in the good news department, today they scheduled Warren for removal of the picc line and the addition of a port for future chemo treatments and any necessary followup procedures.That will happen in the early morning on June 1. I will be very happy not to have to worry about flushing that picc line! Only a nurse can flush the port so I am “off the hook”.

Now that I’ve delivered some good news, it is time to move on. Hopefully, there will be many more good news entries to come. Thanks for checking in and hanging in there with us
Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Tortes Are Us

PieSusan is on a distinguished road

My thoughts and prayers are with you. My father had 4 kinds of cancer and congestive heart failure. It is a difficult road that you are on. Peace be with you.

Maida Heatter is still with us. G-d bless her.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Food Sound Eng.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
My thoughts and prayers are with you. My father had 4 kinds of cancer and congestive heart failure. It is a difficult road that you are on. Peace be with you.
Arnetta appreciated your kind words.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Food Sound Eng.

Arnetta & Warren Journal
Friday, May 22, 2009 5:55 PM, EDT

We just got home from chemo and I immediately set up Warren's afternoon feeding so he will be ready to eat some good food for dinner. He chooses to have another of Helga’s stuffed shells – hopefully two - tonight, so I took two more shells out and froze the rest. The extraction of two shells evened up the pan and left just the right amount for Sunday when Justin (Jay) and Kate will be here to share them with us. As my dinner tonight, I will enjoy a salad and some of the delicious meatloaf that our friends Pat and Bob brought yesterday.

Caryn and Tim are working on their house this weekend. I'm sure they are motivated, at least in part, by the approaching trek of the German Golisches from North Carolina to Michigan. Caryn stripped kitchen wallpaper and painted the walls in light neutral colors. She will probably do some stenciling at a later date, but for now, she says the kitchen looks much bigger and brighter so she is happy with it as is. Caryn and Tim will also rip up the carpet in the main floor lavatory and lay the Pergo type flooring that they purchased for there a while back. Tim plans on making a double batch of beer, too. I would bet that at least one of the two batches will be a German type brew!

Warren feels fine (relative word, of course) after the chemo and I'm supposing that we will watch most, if not all, of the Wings game tonight. GO WINGS!

Warren is trying to walk more to build up the strength in his legs again but just a few steps really gets him out of breath. I hope that will change as he gains more strength through good nutrition!

Warren’s pre-chemo blood work was pretty satisfactory except for the hemoglobin, which was low at 9.4. Ideally, it should be 13.5 to 17. That’s no doubt why he is still so tired and out of breath with minimal exertion. With the nurse’s blessing, I will give him a time-release iron pill with Vitamin C at least every other day. Then we will need to combat the constipation, which will no doubt result from the iron pills, with extra magnesium and B6, stool softeners and occasionally Miralax, too.

Our machine came today so we will probably spend a lot of the weekend figuring out how to use it. It comes preprogrammed with all Dr. New’s treatments but right now it’s in pieces that need to be put together and set up. We may work on that during the game this evening.

The weather will be great this weekend so I'm hoping to spend some time enjoying our deck in the sunshine.

Have a great evening, weekend and Holiday everyone! Let’s all remember to say some prayers for our troops – past and present!
Old 05-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Food Sound Eng.

Arnetta & Warren Journel.
Saturday, May 23, 2009 7:25 PM, EDT

The Big News today - after three days of being stuck at 138 pounds, Warren was up another ½ pound to 138.5! Slowly but surely, we are closing in on the 140 goal.

The key to Warren’s weight management is to have a regular feeding schedule. In order to facilitate that, Warren has voluntarily given up lunch. Whenever he tried to squeeze in a small lunch in addition to his favorite meals – breakfast and dinner, it was hard to get two full tube feedings in.

Warren agrees with me that his tube feedings provide the best combination of calories and nutrients so we need to concentrate on them for now. We will use food by mouth only for enjoyment and supplementation. We can flip those priorities as he gets stronger and closer to a desirable weight.

Until that time comes, Warren has breakfast at around 8:30 or 9, depending on his shower schedule. Then between 10 and 11am, depending on the test results for residual; he has his first 2.5 cans of formula through the tube. Between 2:30 and 3, he has another 2.5 cans of formula by tube. As it turns out the tube feeding times usually coincide with naptime so it works out very well. We wind up the eating schedule with a favorite dinner between 6 and 7pm.

Today was the first day after chemo so Warren was VERY tired all day. His fatigue didn’t keep him from wanting to set up our new machine and try it out though. First we had to listen to the instructional DVD to get a feel for the process. After that we set everything up and ran through the DVD again, following the step-by-step instructions to integrate the machine with Warren’s laptop. Our neighbor, Diana, came over to help us run the DVD. We have never used the DVD player and Warren seemed to be “remote challenged” today. He thinks he had pushed the same buttons Diana pushed but hadn’t gotten the same results.

I must say, it’s great to have a neighbor (and one of my best friends) who is good with “gadgets”. I am not – Warren has always taken care of the electronics in this household. If he isn’t around, I call Diana!

I rearranged the furniture in the sunroom to get the computer and the machine close enough to Warren to run the “Support Program” written especially for him. This was the first of three days of running that particular program before we do the footbath. Warren was anxious to start with that program because we think it is the one that is supposed to help clear the scar tissue in his lungs so that he can breath a bit easier. There are a few other programs written for Warren by our doctor to try, as well as many other programs that are basic for the machine and come on a separate disk. I have a few questions to ask the doctor by e-mail now that we have the apparatus in hand and have used it. I’ll be shooting an e-mail off to her this evening.

I need to get a shower and wash my hair this evening, too; but before that I’ve got a couple dusty jobs to do that I want to be able to wash out of my already dirty hair and not add to the clean kopf (head). So, since I’ve updated all of you, I wish you a good evening and a great Holiday! Stay safe and stay well.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Food Sound Eng.

Warren & Arnetta's Journal
Monday, May 25, 2009 5:45 PM, EDT

Mid afternoon: Well it sure is a mystery! Wherever the 1 1/2 pounds went, it didn’t stay gone for long. Much to our delight, Warren was back up to 138.5 this morning.

Unfortunately, today we are having difficulty getting the last feeding down Warren. As of 4:10 this afternoon, I still got too much residual from the 10am feeding to feed him again. When I checked the stomach contents through the tube a lot of gas bubbled out and then a whole syringe of food followed with still more to come, so I put it back and closed the tube.

The strange thing is that Warren feels like he could eat something so I’d like to take advantage of that. We didn’t do gas drops earlier, so I gave them to him after the check for residual with hopes of heating a small dinner for him around 5pm. Ideally, we can still get more formula in him without making him uncomfortable before bed.

We count it as a HUGE blessing that Warren continues to be pain free and his color is noticebly improved. His only problems now are pronounced fatigue from chemo, continued weakness in his legs and arms, and difficulty in breathing. I’m anxious for all the holistic products to arrive to see if enhanced nutrition will help.

We haven’t really developed a rhythm with the RIFE programs yet but we are working out a schedule. It’s hard to coordinate the tube feedings and the RIFE – all pretty time consuming things that really can’t be overlapped.

Of course, it also means that I can’t stray far from home for very long. And because of the tube feeding and other scheduled treatments, I can’t ask anyone to come in and sit with Warren while I go out.

I have used the nursery monitor a lot today to keep tabs on Warren while I finished a huge project that I started yesterday. The west wall of our garage is now cleared and organized, making the wheel chair ramp that we had made for Mom in 1995 accessible for Warren. Now I need to figure out how to get enough time away from caring for Warren to get over to Wright Phillipis and order the wheelchair that the new doctor gave us a prescription for. The one we are using is very old and kind of hard to push. It also has no footrests so Warren has to walk his feet along with it while I push him. It’s fine for in the house but not very suitable for longer excursions. I will call Wright Phillipis tomorrow and ask how best to accomplish the task. I am hoping I may be able to fax the RX to them and tell them what I want over the phone, and then just pick it up when they have it ready. I’d like it before Warren’s procedure to install a chemo port on June 1.

Another thing I desperately need is a haircut. I’m pretty good at cutting the sides and crown just the way I like it, but I can’t manage to make the back look decent. I am hoping that one of my friends out there feels confident enough at cutting hair to help me with the back. I’m not too fussy – if you goof, I won’t have to look at it anyway!

Another problem with which I’d like help is Styrofoam. I have bags and bags of it that I can’t bring myself to throw into the landfills.

Shortly before Warren became ill, I had started a Styrofoam recycling program at our church. Every week I collected and brought the Styrofoam cups from fellowship coffee time home, lightly rinsed them and stacked them in bags to be recycled. I had also collected packaging from personal purchases, egg cartons, etc. to take to the center. I figured that when I had a Windstar full, I’d take them to the 24hour drop off at the 20000 W. 8Mile RRASOC location.

All that Styrofoam was on the west garage wall and now it’s all in our Windstar (with some room to spare). I’d love it if someone could drive the Windstar full of Styrofoam to RRASOC for me. If you live in Farmington, Farmington Hills, Novi, South Lyon, Southfield, Walled Lake or Wixom, you are serviced by the aforementioned facility. I’m not sure if they check ID but they might. I thought I might be lucky enough to find one of you who would love to use my car to take a trip down that way any time of night or day and get rid of my Styrofoam the environmentally friendly way. By the way, in case you are curios, the used Styrofoam goes from RRRASOC to Dart Container Corporation to be reused for more Styrofoam containers. For more info, check it out at
http://www.rrrasoc.org/southfield.html.

Evening:OKAY! Warren ate his small dinner! I pray he can take a couple cans of formula through the tube at bedtime!

Thanks for checking in! Have a great evening, everyone, and God be with you all!
Old 05-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Food Sound Eng.

Arnetta & Warren's Journal.
Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:19 PM, EDT

Wow, this has been a VERY busy and exciting day! Warren is continuing to confound the scale with his weight variations. This morning he weighed 137.75 – down ¾ of a pound. Maybe that’s because we didn’t get the last can of formula in him yesterday. Today we are on track to give him all six cans plus two meals for the first time ever. Our new pattern seems to be working well - just two cans in three separate feedings plus two small meals – breakfast and dinner - between. Warren has always balked at having anything in his stomach before going to bed, but I convinced him to try just one can at bedtime last night and it worked great. Tonight we will give him can number five and six at about 8:30 or 9:00 and go to bed by 10 or 10:30. We hope the extra food shows up on the scale tomorrow!

I was excited this morning when I woke to find answers to ALL of my requests for help. Thanks so much for your responses. Two contacts volunteered to deliver my Styrofoam to RRRASOC. I called the first in line – a couple from church, Reid and Brooke. They really wanted to help, and I figured it was very appropriate to call them since a lot of the Styrofoam was from our church. Thanks so much to them and also to my friend Michaela – the other volunteer. The environment thanks you, too. The Styrofoam is now safely at RRRASOC.

Next, I found out that my very good friend, Celeste, like me, has been cutting her family members’ hair for years and, according to her husband, Dale, has been doing a darn good job of it. Celeste will cut my hair tomorrow after taking Dad to the eye doctor appointment that she scheduled for him. I had to cancel his eye pressure check-up last Thursday because it was the same day as Warren’s recently assigned appointment with Dr. Doyle. Celeste has worked for Dad’s eye doctor, Dr. Burke, occasionally so it’s very convenient to have her help me out with that.

Finally, the Wright Fillipis questions were answered by my nurse friend Gwen. She told me that they have delivered to her in the fairly recent past. I called the Twelve Mile and Middlebelt branch and faxed the prescriptions for the wheelchair and the tub grab bar to them. The wheel chair will be delivered from a separate place. Wright Fillipis is mailing me the suction cup grab bar for the tub. We have ceramic tile and I'm not sure where we want the bar so we will be experimenting with the best placement. Our friend Frank offered to help if I have any problems with the grab bar or any other handicap adaptation.

Warren’s brother, Bob, stopped by for a while to bring Warren the gas drops we reordered – those things are so helpful that we never want to be without them.

Our visiting Minister from church, Bob Bough, came by to visit and say a welcomed prayer with us.

There were many e-mails and phone calls regarding the business today – client concerns and our own. Frank Patrick – our good friend and investment guru, and Dale Watts – Warren’s former partner and close friend, are working together to coordinate plans for our future. We couldn’t be in better hands than we are with the two of them looking out for us!

We are very blessed to have so many friends who want to help – we just can’t thank you all enough! There are no words sufficiently adequate to express our gratitude for your thoughts, prayers, and act of kindness!

On a different matter, I saved the amazing for last. We had run the 45-minute RIFE Support Program on Warren for the last three days. We are hoping it will help to eradicate the lung scar tissue which hampers Warren’s breathing. Today we got really brave and decided to tackle what looked like the most difficult program – the two-hour footbath.

Yes everyone, we made our own batch of green-brown microbial soup. It was wonderfully disgusting to see all those awful things in the water and know that they are no longer in Warren! Some of the goop may have been debris from Friday’s chemo, too; definitely better out than in!

Tomorrow we will run the two-hour cancer program and must follow that within four hours by another two-hour footbath. The next day we are to run the two-hour candida program which also involves the footbath. And so it continues, alternating daily between those two patterns and fitting in the Support program as often as we can. I definitely have a new occupation as a full time private nurse!

Time to close this and bid you all a Good Night. There are still a few things to do before bed. Thanks so much for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. We are still hoping and praying for a miracle!
Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Food Sound Eng.

Arnetta & Warren's Journal.
Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:00 PM, EDT

Warren was back up ¼ pound to 138 this morning – not a spectacular difference but at least in the right direction.

It was another very busy day today. Since the RIFE machine arrived that will be the norm. This morning we did the two-hour QX2 cancer program which must be followed within four hours by the two hour footbath. To make good use of the footbath, we squeezed another 45 minute Support program in between QX2 and the footbath program. Yesterday, the footbath water was brown with a green tinge after the two hours. Today it was green with a tinge of brown. I have that in my questions to ask the doctor when we see her again on June 16th.

Celeste came at 1:30 today to make sure Dad got to the eye doctor on time. It is a very good thing he went – the pressure in his right eye was up to 40. Less than half that number (19) is what we strive for. For the next week, Dad now has two different eye drops to take – still the Travatan in each eye at bedtime, plus the new Azoft in each eye morning and evening. Next Wednesday, Celeste will take Dad back to Dr. Burke for a recheck.

I agree with Celeste that I will need to monitor Dad to make sure he gets the drops right morning and night. He is still remarkable for 94, but his confusion is becoming more evident to all of us (including him). I worry that he may have had another carotid artery mini-stroke that drove his eye pressure up so drastically.

Dad has also had a problem with a crown for a while now and he needs to have it taken care of. He told me it didn’t bother him and he wanted to handle the problem himself so it has gone unattended to for far too long. It’s clear now that Dad needs help and probably shouldn’t be driving on his own any more, either. In fact, he seems very content to be chauffeured everywhere. Celeste and I made an emergency appointment for him with his dentist today and Celeste will take him at 11am on Monday.

Even before Celeste returned with Dad this afternoon, as I climbed into the car to make a necessary quick run to the bank and the post office after Warren’s second tube feeding of the day, I said a big prayer, “Lord, I am responsible for the care of two people I love very much who are pretty much totally dependent on me for their welfare. Please make sure I am able to stay up to the task.” I felt immediate peace and support, in no small part thanks to all of you out there. As I’ve said many times, but can never say enough, thank you to all of you for everything from thoughts and prayers to not so random acts of kindness. Special thanks to Celeste for stepping in to help with Dad’s medical needs, and to my neighbor Diana, who faithfully does Dad’s grocery shopping along with ours and her own.

Speaking of those acts of kindness, Celeste did a perfect job on my hair – just the way I like it. I have found my new hairdresser!

I’m very pleased with my hair now. Just about all the dyed hair is finally gone and I love all the shades of gray and silver – the lighter the better! I embrace my gray and silver and wear the colors proudly – I earned every one of the gray strands; each one is a badge of courage!

In fact gray and silver are my new favorite colors for clothing, and jewelry, too. I’ve always heard that nature changes your skin color along with your hair as you get older so that they naturally blend well together. Maybe there is something to that – the color change seems to work for clothing as well.

Well, time to close, and get ready for the evening. Clearly tonight’s activity will involve watching the Wings (hopefully) win the conference championship in the quest for the Stanley cup. Go WINGS!

Have a great evening everyone and God Bless all of you!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:16 AM
Food Sound Eng.

NCF.
I read these Journals of Arnetta's & Warren's Every day. I am so fortunate, no one in my family has this dreaded disease. If I ever get it, or some one in my family gets it- Her experience and Knowlege will enlighten my load!
Thank Arnetta
Old 05-29-2009, 12:19 AM
Food Sound Eng.

Warren & Arnetta Journal
Thursday, May 28, 2009 7:02 PM, EDT
Warren warned me his weight would be down this morning because he had to go so much during the night. He was right - only137 lbs again! We’re hoping to keep that as a minimum. I wish he could eat more but he fills up so fast. The tube feedings are still the best source of calories and nutrition so we always try to get all three 16 ounce bags in – one drop at a time.

After a light breakfast of soymilk, juice and two Kashi bars, we ran the 45-minute Support program – that’s the shortest one. During the rest of the day, caring for Warren consisted of the mid morning tube feeding, the early afternoon tube feeding and the 1 hour and 10 minute Candida footbath. This evening he had a light dinner and there will be one more tube feeding before bedtime.

Warren and I are excited that we are really getting the hang of the Rife machine – it no longer seems at all daunting or scary. The incredible footbath results continue to astound us. Warren says he feels a little better each day, too. In fact, everyone who sees him notices the improvement in his skin color.

Today’s care schedule was relatively light; tomorrow there will be a full five hours worth of Rife programming to run besides the feedings, etc. So on alternate days, like today, I am able to get quite a bit of other stuff done – today there were lots of necessary phone calls regarding doctor visits, upcoming port surgery (Monday) and medicine.

I believe we may be able to save some money on the final two prescriptions of Tarceva! I started my discount search through Henry Ford and Medco when we had 18 of 30 pills left. Now I’m down to just four pills so we will run out Sunday night. The new drug company, Option Care, promised the Tarceva will be in my hands by next Monday. The representative said it would be a discount price but he couldn’t tell me how much. Option Care, is a subsidiary of Medco and we usually have very good luck with Medco so I hope for the best. Whatever the cost is, we are stuck with it at this late date! I hope it’s better than the previous $110 PER PILL!

This afternoon, I met with landscape guru, Rob Davis - the man responsible for our subdivision groundskeeping. Warren and I were hoping we could work with him to keep our lawn and gardens presentable. I found Rob personable and reasonable so we are delighted to be able to sign a contract with him.

It is a huge relief to have the yard work off our plate! Rob promises to have our yard looking incredible by Justin and Kate’s wedding reception party on Sunday, October 18. I’m sure Justin will be glad, too. Now he can concentrate on getting the pond area cleaned, running and gorgeous! And I can concentrate on getting the inside of the house presentable in case of inclement weather – a distinct possibility in mid October, I’m afraid.

I’ve many miles to go before I sleep, and I've relayed all of today’s news, so I bid you all a goodnight and sweet dreams. Thanks for checking in and, as always,God Be With You!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Entree Cook

Wasabi is on a distinguished road
Style: Gonzo

Dan, thank you with all my heart for posting Arnetta's journal. I read each and every one for we are sisters in the battle to save our loved one.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:33 AM
Bottle Washer

arnettamae is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone,
My good friend, Dan Diamond, has done a wonderful job of posting my journal entries from the Caring Bridge site. I'm glad that so many of you have found them interesting and helpful enough to follow on our journey with us. I want to personally thank you for your notes of encouragement and the thoughts and prayers you've sent our way.

I noticed that Dan began to post the journal beginning on May 3rd - my 62nd birthday. At that time Warren and I were already 1 1/2 months into our journey with cancer. My earlier journal entries cover the beginning - days of despair, hope, love and encouragement. They may be helpful to anyone who is just beginning his or her journey with cancer - either for self or with a loved one. If you are interested, at the beginning of the Cancer Cachexia thread Dan has provided the Caring Bridge information to log on to Warren's site. From the journal heading, you can scroll back to the earlier entries or use the toggle at the top to change the order of the entries from the earliest to the latest.

I originally joined Net Cooking to pass on high calorie low volume recipes that I was developing in an effort to help people like Warren struggling with Cancer Cachexia. But in these pages I have found so much more. I feel the love, friendship and comaradery among you and extended to me. I thank you so much for that.

I do hope to get back to writing the recipes someday soon. Since Warren is on tube feeding, there isn't much room left for regular food. Later today, though, I hope to find time to poste the recipe for Vegetarian Spinach Lasagna that our neighbor made for us on my birthday. When Warren and I finally were able to try it, we loved it. Every couple bites he would say, "This is SO good!", and I would readily agree.

So until later, thanks for your friendship, thoughts and prayers. God be with you all.
Arnetta Mae Whitehouse

Last edited by arnettamae; 05-29-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Tortes Are Us

PieSusan is on a distinguished road

Arnetta, illness is one of the most stressful things that a person can cope with because no matter how hard you try and no matter how many of the right things you control, one simply cannot control the outcome. Some things are best left in G-d's hands. It has been a very tough lesson that I have come to learn being a caregiver over the past 10 years. I use to beat myself up and take responsibility for things that weren't my part of the job.

I hope that you are buoyed by the love and support of family, friends and prayers. Bless you and Warren.
Best always, Susan

Maida Heatter is still with us. G-d bless her.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:08 AM
Food Sound Eng.

Last edited by dansdiamond; 05-30-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:12 AM
Food Sound Eng.

Friday, May 29, 2009 5:51 PM, EDT
Arnetta & Warren's Journal

Warren was up ¼ pound to 137.25 this morning.
From the minute he woke, Warren has mentioned several times today that he feels unusually tired. His digestion has also been very sluggish all day, making it difficult to do the tube feedings on time. It looks like we may barely finish before bed. He is now trying to eat a few bites of tuna noodle to enjoy a taste of regular food.

We finished the five hours of Rife sequence programs around 5pm. This afternoon’s footbath was again a very murky brownish green.

After the footbath, Warren slept soundly for about a half hour. As I gazed through the kitchen service window into the sunroom at Warren’s sleeping face, I was again struck by the fact that his skin color is very much normal now. Except for the fact that he is 30 pounds lighter than he was during his days of presumed health, that sleeping face could belong to the Warren W. Whitehouse 2008 model. I have to think that, in itself, is a very good sign!

We are disappointed that Warren’s lungs don’t seem to be getting noticeably better. Perhaps scar tissue takes a very long time to correct. We are hoping more chemo will help. His super oxygenated "Perfect Water" arrived today, too, so he will be drinking that from now on.

There isn’t much new to report today so, in closing, I’d like to share a poem with you that I received in an e-mail from Cousin Dolly Hatton this morning. Thanks Dolly!

The following poem really spoke to me so I decided to make it my official life’s mantra. Because the author was unnamed, I took the liberty of making a couple slight changes that I feel make it “flow” better for me. My apologies to the original writer if he or she reads it on this site. Be it known that I would be more than happy to give credit where much is due:

I May Never See Tomorrow

I may never see tomorrow,
There’s no written guarantee.
And things that happened yesterday,
Belong to history.

I cannot predict the future,
I cannot change the past.
I’ve just the present moment
And must treat it as my last.

I will use the moment wisely
For it soon will pass away,
And be lost to me forever
As part of yesterday.

I must exercise compassion,
Help the fallen to their feet,
Be a friend to the friendless,
Make an empty life complete.

The unkind things I do today
May never be undone,
And friendships that I fail to win
May nevermore be won.

I may not have another chance
On bended knee to pray,
So I thank God with humble heart
For giving me today.

Author Unknown

Last edited by dansdiamond; 05-30-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Food Sound Eng.

Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:58 PM, EDT
Warren & Arnetta Journal

Warren was up a pound to 138.25 this morning. I don’t know whether to attribute the upward trend to luck, adding the Megace back in, or starting the Hydrazine Sulphate last Tuesday. Any gain may be attributable to none, one or all of the above. I just hope it continues!

There have been no other new developments today – good or bad. In other words, everything remains status quo – Warren is still very tired and short of breath and his color is still very good. The Candida footbath water was murky brownish-green again but maybe just a touch less opaque this time. That may be a good sign.

Last night, we had a bit of a scare. In his hurry to exit the couch when he spotted a big and ugly black spider on the arm of it, Warren fell on the floor. After that his stomach muscles hurt and he found it even harder to breath. His bedtime trip up the stairs was so hard on him that he was literally gasping for air and we both thought we might need to take him to emergency. Thankfully, once we got him lying down in bed, he was able to relax and his breathing improved. Today he is back to normal, or shall I say, what has become normal.

I try to understand why Warren - who never smoked a cigarette or even took a puff, never even thought about trying illegal drugs and never drank more than an occasional glass of wine or beer – is, according to doctors, going to die in 9 months or less. There just is no understanding it, I guess. Only God knows why these things happen. All I can do is thank God for the time He has given Warren, me and us, and pray that there is much more to come.

A minister once explained to me that God isn't like a puppeteer who controls good and bad. He doesn't make people sick or cause them to get into accidents. Instead, He sets the laws of Nature in Motion and promises to be there with us as we deal with the consequences of those laws. I guess I have a quarrel with Mother Nature. I think she definitely has a mean streak!

Along with all of you, we will keep hoping and praying that we manage to beat stage IV pancreatic cancer - definitely a sinister element from the "dark side" of Nature. Meanwhile, I thank God that, as promised, He is doing such a great job of helping us to deal with it's consequences.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Food Sound Eng.

Thanks Arnetta. I really like what you Minister told you!
"A minister once explained to me that God isn't like a puppeteer who controls good and bad. He doesn't make people sick or cause them to get into accidents. Instead, He sets the laws of Nature in Motion and promises to be there with us as we deal with the consequences of those laws."
" I guess I have a quarrel with Mother Nature. I think she definitely has a mean streak"
Old 05-31-2009, 11:37 PM
Food Sound Eng.

Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:43 PM, EDT
Arnetta & Warren Journal

139.25 pounds this morning. Yeah! Warren finally weighs more than my highest weight on any given day. That’s more like it! It’s also significant.

In January of 2005 I began my lifestyle change to permanently lose weight (I don’t diet). From my high weight of 205 in March of 1991, I had gotten down to 155 pounds by that fall following a very restricted low carb diet with hard to live by rules. When I tried to get back to a “real” life, my weight gradually crept back up to 196 pounds by the fall of 2004. I became determined to find the answer to my Yo-Yo Syndrome and, with God’s help, I did. (That’s a very long story that many of you know. E-mail me if you want to know more.)

When I began to close in on Warren’s weight range of 175 pounds by the summer of 2005, I was very excited. It had been many years since I had weighed less than him. Warren wasn’t happy with 175 for himself, though. He thought his ideal weight should be under 170 – about 168 - so he challenged me to a duel!

I really don’t remember who got to 168 first, but we both made it – then I kept going. I finally quit losing at 135 pounds (with a brief period at 133), and set maintenance for 136 (within a 3 pound range).

Even after I had clearly won “the contest”, Warren never gave up teasing me about it daily – always saying how he would catch up to me someday. He would sound so serious I almost thought he meant it sometimes. Finally, I got him to admit that anything under 165 would be too thin for him. It’s pretty ironic, then, that a cruel twist of fate allowed Warren to finally win the contest. We’d sure love to see him get those 30 + pounds back! Maybe we are on our way now!

Today is one of the five hours of Rife treatment days so it has been busy. It takes a while to set up each treatment. Then it’s tricky to time the five feedings with the treatments and all the homeopathic meds that may be helping him. The Ave Mar and the Hydrazine Sulphate (HZ) both have restriction regarding timing.

The Ave Mar hinders the cancer cells ability to use sugar (natural or converted) as a fuel. It must be taken one hour before or after a meal and 2 hours before or after taking any other medications or supplements. The Hydrazine Sulphate blocks a liver enzyme that enables cancer cells to feed. It must be taken one to two hours before a meal. We started with one HZ before dinner for three days. Today was the first day of two HZ capsules – one in the am and one in the pm for four days. After that, I need to work in an HZ at noon, too, until the bottle of 100 is gone. Warren also must take Vitamin C with iron every other day, ZMA and colace for regularity, and gas drops morning and evening for stomach comfort. Right now mid day is a good time for Ave Mar but the noon time HZ will make it much more difficult to fit everything in. With the second bottle of HZ I can go back to am and pm dosage. Maybe by then, Warren will be back to his ideal weight range and he won’t need the meds anymore – Hope ALWAYS springs eternal!

Justin and Kate were here for dinner this evening. Justin worked on the pond for a while before dark cleaning out the sludge and debris from the winter. When he came in I showed him and Kate the water from Warren’s footbath that I hadn’t had time to empty yet. They were both astounded and in agreement that it looked just about as bad as the stuff they emptied from the pond. It really is phenomenal to see what the human body can leave in clean tap water!

We must go to be early tonight so I need to sign off quickly. Warren needs to be at the hospital at 8am to be prepared for the port surgical procedure at 9:30.

No time to proofread so please forgive any mistakes. I'll edit tomorrow afternoon. Have a great night everyone