HOW TO SEASON A NEW CAST IRON POT

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
And the thing is, that once you clean & season it, it's
gotta be keep that way, because it is so prone to rusting again! :wow:

I've got at least a dozen CI pans and pots. Some used often, some rarely. I've never had a problem with rust.

A well seasoned pan has what amounts to a plastic coating. Humidity never touches the iron.

Johnny West

Here is the bait of bacon I fried up for dinner in the newly re-furbished #6. I'll be using this one for awhile. The #7 went in the oven tonight for a seasoning and will get it back in the rotation soon. There is a nice sense of self-satisfaction doing this with what may have been a skillet discarded as not worth using.

Attachments

• #Bacon Bait.jpg
    #Bacon Bait.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 121

Shermie

Site Supporter
The vinegar treatment is a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. Soak the skillet for 1/2 hour and then clean with an SOS pad. I left mine in for over an hour as I got called away. They were only partially submerged as I did;to have a vessel are enough for the two. I turned them and waited for another half hour, then did a scrubbing. I ended up scrubbing several times to get the affect I wanted. Wear rubber gloves - I didn't at first and my hands were a freaking mess. The vinegar and water takes away rust quite nicely. The skillet I got this past weekend that was in such bad shape with rust it will need another treatment on the bottom and will save it for later when I do another skillet. The #7 came out almost like new. I learned all this on the cast iron group at Facebook - great bunch of folks.

It's amazing what you've done with those little skillets so far!! I like them!

And DO NOT store them under the sink!! Moisture accumulates there, & they could rust!!! :piesmiley1::eating2:

Johnny West

No, we don't store cast iron under the sink.

I need to get out and look for more iron as this is fun to do.

I was told my #6 is a BSR skillet from Birmingham, Alabama.