Bought new cell phone.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I just bought a new cell phone today! The LG Beacon.

The one that I originally wanted, even though it has a lot of features, costs too much money, so I bought one that is about 2/3 cheaper.

It is slightly smaller than the one that I wanted at first, but still, I like the many features that it has! As you can see, it is a slider cell phone - something that I've always wanted!! I chose this one over another flip phone, to which I think is now kind of obsolete.

Here are some pics of it below; :driving:

Attachments

• LG Beacon Slider.jpg
    LG Beacon Slider.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 189
  • LG Beacon Slider 3.jpg
    LG Beacon Slider 3.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 179
  • lg Beacon Slider 2.jpg
    lg Beacon Slider 2.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Neat phone! I still have a dinosaur flip phone :sad:.

Thanx.

Found out that the battery power runs low a bit too soon. I was tired of the flip phone style and have always wanted a slider phone.

Just like in '05, I was tired of those open-face phones, you know, the ones with the keyboard always exposed.

The old Nokia cell phones had that style. Blackberries and other phones are like that as well

Metro claims that the batteries in the newer phones run low sooner because supposedly, that is how they are designed to work.
I've never heard of such stark-raving idiocy before! But it is what it is.

The older flip phone was starting to go. One corner of the back cover won't seal properly, paying the way for dirt, dust, moisture and liquid to get in and possibly ruin the phone! Metro was willing to replace it because it is insured, but only with the exact same phone! I wanted a newer style - a touch screen slider phone, which influenced me to get the one shown above.
I changed some of the settings in hopes that it will help save battery power though. :wow:

Last edited:
Shermie - just out of curiousity, do you ever do any cooking? Because this seems like an odd site for you since all your threads/posts seem to be about electronics.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Shermie - just out of curiousity, do you ever do any cooking? Because this seems like an odd site for you since all your threads/posts seem to be about electronics.

I still cook. Who doesn't?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that anyone who wanted to talk about electronics has to do that in THIS forum. I just thought that members here wanted to be in the know on the latest in electronics.

I also recently posted in other forums here as well. :neutral:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I managed to get the battery fully charged.

It was official, as it came up on the screen. I'll see what else happens as things go along.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I now have an extra battery for the phone. It also came with an external charging unit into which the phone's charger can be plugged.

This should help me keep a freshly charged battery on hand at all times. :driving:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Now today, I bought a portable battery charger for when I'm out and about! It charges the batteries in the cell phone when they are low.

Never knew that there was such a thing! But it helps combat the problem of having batteries that run too low before I get back home!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
This cell phone is now a piece of crap!!!

I'm not happy with it, as it is falling apart!! The cover for the charger jack came off, the phone freezes up when I try to answer a text message, the blasted batteries have to be charged a least 4 or 5 times a day, and most of all, MetroPCS has friggen refused to send me a $25 rebate on the crappy phone!!!

Also, they won't let me pay online any more, the system is all screwed up and your stuck with the voil mail feature, because MteroPCS does not feature the provisions that would allow you to disable that annoying feature!!! If you pay your bill at any of the stores, Metro wants a $3 assessment fee!!!

Even though I sent the forms in on time, the SOB'S won't give it to me!!!!! This is it!! I've had it with them!!!!! I'm not giving them any more money at all!!! I'm leaving them in two weeks and I'm going with Boost Mobile!!!!

They have a much better plan, better cell phones, the batteries hold a charge for a least 2 days or more, and you can have the voice mail feature disabled if you don't want to be bothered with nagging, aggravating and annoying voice mail messages!!

Last edited:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i have been using boost for half a year now..i like it... i have lost service a couple of times while driving through texas or northern california but none of our phones had service..

i am on the shrinkage plan and now only pay 45 a month for everything..you must sign up for the shrinkage plan..

i am working on getting my referral code for you ..this will give you a $25 credit on your account and as well as on mine..if you want it that is

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yes, thanx!! Do that for me, please. I will be signing up on January 25. The piece of crap phone from MetroPCS began to fall apart while I was visiting in Washington, Dc last week!! I only had it for 3 months, and it was pure hell!!!!!

I plan to get on the shrinkage plan as well. I think that's a good idea to have that. Metro does not offer it. Besides, their service has fallen off and has gone by the wayside.

I'm no longer happy with them any more! Several deciding factors have lead me to arrive at my decision to leave them. Thyey are not bringing much to the table now.

Last edited:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
the inside screen on those slider phones is tiny...i am use to having a full screen smart phone so i am a little biased... we found some new ones in the box on craigslist for cheaper than the store or online were selling them..you may want to check them out...

i have this one http://www.boostmobilestore.com/bpdirect/boost/PhoneList.do?action=view&id=prevail

yes its a little more expensive if you buy it from boost but i have seen them all over craigslist for $99...they are a full screen and not a slider but a much better platform... also once you activate it if its new, it will do a system upgrade...they upgrade is from froyo to gingerbread(a much better operating system.)

for a smart phone, this one is tough..i have dropped it numerous times...i have sat on it many times... when i first got mine, i went into the mall and got a $20 protective screen at one of the kiosk's...a very good investment...6 months later,from side of the country to the other,it still functions as new.

Here's the phone that I am leaning toward getting. Follow the link below.

http://www.boostmobilestore.com/bpdirect/boost/PhoneList.do?action=view&id=innuendo&src=hp-genie

Shermie

Site Supporter
I happen to like the fully qwerty keyboard.

The one that I'm considering getting, looks like a cross between and flip phone and a slider phone. Optional screen protectors for both the inside and outside screens are availible from Amazon.com.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Today, I went over to a MetroPCS outlet in my neighborhood and happily had the service switched back over to my older phone.

But this is just temporary, because I still plan to leave them and go with Boost Mobile.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I remember them being that big back in the early '90s. Or was it the late '80s?

Who would you find for a provider?

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's the one that I had reactivated - enough for 2 weeks until I switch providers.

Attachments

• motorola quantico.jpg
    motorola quantico.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 147

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
ok...i got the code.. you have to activate online is the only drawback but it gives you a $25 dollar credit.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I remember them being that big back in the early '90s. Or was it the late '80s?

Who would you find for a provider?

The late 80's.
Talk about reception though!

That's a DynaTAC 8000. Motorola introduced it in 85 or 86. They came out with a slimline version a year or two later, was only 2/3's as thick. I've got a couple slimlines around somewhere, one wearing a Bell South logo and the other has a Southwestern Bell Mobile Systems logo.

It was analog AMPS, won't work now, all the carriers switched to digital and shut down their analog service a few years ago.

Lethal the main reason it worked so well is it had a real antenna, no compromises like all the cell phones of today.

Jim

Shermie

Site Supporter
ok...i got the code.. you have to activate online is the only drawback but it gives you a $25 dollar credit.

So I can't use the code if I have the phone activated in the store?

My brother who died, he had one of those types of phone in his Ford Explorer.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
a little more research

To successfully complete activation as a new Boost Mobile customer and receive your $25 credit, you will have to do the following:
  1. Go to boostmobile.com OR to a select retailer ONLY to activate.
  2. Input the valid unique referral promo code during the activation process. Please note that the referral promo code is only good if used during the activation process.
  3. Sign up for the Monthly Unlimited Referral Plan, Android Monthly Unlimited Referral or BlackBerry Monthly Unlimited Referral plan. These monthly plans include Shrinkage – for every 6 on-time payments your monthly payment will shrink by $5.
  4. Pay full monthly payment at the point of activation.
    So I can't use the code if I have the phone activated in the store?
My brother who died, he had one of those types of phone in his Ford Explorer.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Metro PCS is hounding me for another payment that's due on January 25th.

I told them that I'm leaving them on the 25th and that I'm going with Boost Mobile, because they got a much better plan and that I can disable the voicemail feature because I don't want it..

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm now with Boost Mobile!

I left MetroPCS, as I said I would.

Below are the pics of the new phone that I just purchased yesterday.

I'm on the Shrinkage Plan, and one of the many things that I like is that they seem to offer much more than Metro does!

Called Boost yesterday and had the voicemail feature disabled, because I don't like it. Metro doesn't give you the option to disable that annoying & aggravating feature!!

So far, I like the service, and the phone's battery power seems to be holding up very well.

Also, I found out that android and smart phones drain their batteries rather quickly within a short time.

All those advanced high-tech features on those phones, and they can't even made the blasted batteries strong enogh to hold a charge longer than just a few hours!!! What stark-raving idiocy!!!!!!! :furious:

Attachments

• boost-sanyo-innuendo-tall-lg.jpg
    boost-sanyo-innuendo-tall-lg.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 150
  • boost-sanyo-innuendo-keyboard-lg.jpg
    boost-sanyo-innuendo-keyboard-lg.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 149

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
once you get you use to shutting off the programs running in the background that you dont need you will like the smart phone..lol

I use LookOut anti virus(free pro version for a week then it reverts back to basic)
i also use advanced task killer but mostly i just go into settings-applications and shut off the programs that i am not using at the time...like maps,facebook,gps etc etc

on my phone, it looks like the battery dies quickly but thats just the battery bar going down and actually i get a whole day out of it... then again i always have a charger with me

Shermie

Site Supporter
That's the thing.

The smart / android phones eat up astronomical amount of power from the batteries., forcing you to have to recharge the battery too often.

As bad as I wanted one, I had to refrain getting one. I'm not going through that crap again!!

The battery in my new phone holds a charge for at least 1-1/2 days, I think, before it needs to be recharged. But still, that's far better than having to recharge it every four hours!! That is so nuts!!!