Country style ribs: Ah-So and BBQ

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A friend and I pooled our packages of country style ribs yesterday, while I had the smoker going.

They were loin cuts, so should be cooked quickly (relative to butt cuts).

I slathered half the ribs with Ah-So sauce (the red stuff you get in on pork in Chinese restaurants, found near the soy sauce in the supermarket) and the other half with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, and some BBQ rub.

Smoked with charcoal and hickory at 300 degrees, only for an hour and 15 minutes, flipping once and moppingon more sauce at the flip.

They were GREAT! Kathy and I couldn't choose which we liked best because we loved them both.

These are also wonderful in the oven.

LeeRibs 1, Ah-So and BBQ.JPGRibs 2, Ah-So and BBQ.JPG

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmmm Looks GREAT Lee. I love those also. Never tried AhSo sauce but I will be looking for it in my next stop in the supermarket. Love Sweet Baby Rays BBQ. Good stuff.

High Cheese

Saucier
Looks great Lee!

If you like those type cuts, pick up a rib end roast, cut it into 3 thick steaks. You have to cut through a thin blade, not too bad.

I put them in the oven, like a reverse sear, 325 until the steaks are 150. Coat with salt, pepper and cayenne, then sear over HOT charchoal. Baste with bbq sauce and a few dashes of tabasco. Sear until you have a nice crust but not burnt. If it burns a little, just put more sauce on.

Best pork I ever ate.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
As delicious as that sounds, HC, I don't know if I could find it in me to do anything but oven roast a pork rib roast! It's so easy and SO good!

I just cook it to 140 -145, though.

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
The rib END roast is the part nearest the shoulder. It's the very end of the rib section made up of shoulder meat, rib meat and the very end you might have a tiny piece of loin. It's not a loin or regular rib roast. Usually the butcher will remove the blade and make country ribs from it. It's basically made up of the dark, tender meat you see on pork chops. Price is low due to the blade and (usually) 2 small ribs. But the meat is the most tender and flavorful. Cuts like a filet mignon.

I only saw them once, uncut, $4 each. IIRC it was $1.49 lb. Like I said before, most of the time they cut these up, so you have to ask your butcher to give you one whole. Maybe see if they will cut it into 3 thick chops. The blade is more like cartilage than bone.

I'll try to pick one up and take pics. You won't look at pork the same way again. lol

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The rib END roast is the part nearest the shoulder. It's the very end of the rib section made up of shoulder meat, rib meat and the very end you might have a tiny piece of loin. It's not a loin or regular rib roast. Usually the butcher will remove the blade and make country ribs from it. It's basically made up of the dark, tender meat you see on pork chops. Price is low due to the blade and (usually) 2 small ribs. But the meat is the most tender and flavorful. Cuts like a filet mignon.

I only saw them once, uncut, $4 each. IIRC it was $1.49 lb. Like I said before, most of the time they cut these up, so you have to ask your butcher to give you one whole. Maybe see if they will cut it into 3 thick chops. The blade is more like cartilage than bone.

I'll try to pick one up and take pics. You won't look at pork the same way again. lol

Oh, okay, HC. Yes, I would like to see a picture, so I know what to look for.

The cut sounds luscious!

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
I bought these just for you. hahaha

The RIB END roast is nearest to the shoulder so you have that dark, flavorful meat. If you look closely, you can see the lighter loin meat. The loin tapers to the back getting bigger and bigger until you have your basic, white meat chop. I don't like those. haha

The first cut is on the right. On the left you can see the loin. This whole roast on the cutting board is a little bit bigger than what you usually might find because he included some of the rib roast (loin section). Typically, the rib end is about $1.49 lb. This was $3.49 lb.

I cut 3 thick steaks from the end. There's a blade in the middle that you can barely see, I believe that's the edge of the blade from the shoulder. That's the only bitch when you slice. Maybe ask the butch to slice. But keep them THICK, the thicker the better. I made them thicker than this before, still good though.

IMG_3225.jpg

S & P and into a 325 until about 140-150 ish, really doesn't matter since it's so fatty.

IMG_3227.jpg

Been on a Zombie kick. lol

IMG_3226.jpg

When I pull them from the oven, I sprinkle cayenne on each side along with a few dashes of Tabasco, then onto a searing hot grill.

IMG_3229.jpg

Once the crust starts to form, I baste with my favorite BBQ sauce, cook that in a bit, a little char is good too. That's it. You have to work a little because of the bones, but it's worth it. And you can always gnaw on them bones too.

IMG_3231.jpg

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I rate those BBQ'D find as major yum.

Ever since HC & Buzz posted about the reverse sear. I have been doing my pork chops the same way.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awesome Cheese!!!! :thumb:
Thanks for the lesson. :tiphat: I will try this for sure.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
HC, those pork cuts look spectacular!

Recently, I've been able to get "pork steaks" here, which the BBQ boys in Missouri have been talking about for years. Cut from butts - I love them!

They are thinner than yours, and look a little different, but similar enough for me to concur!

These didn't have any sugary rub or sauce on them, so no big charring. Next time, though ......

Leepork steaks.jpgpork steaks.jpgPork Steaks, cooked.JPGPork steaks, fingerling potatoes, wilted lettuce salad.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ah-So country ribs again. The oven this time.

So easy and so good!

LeeAh so rib.JPG

Last edited:

Johnny West

Lee, your carrots from 2012... are they just braised in butter and parsley?

County ribs are my favorite rib to grill and will go to Boo Han Market for the sauce.

Thanks for the tip. JW

Johnny West

I've grilled a lot of veg but never carrots and will try some next time I grill a steak.

I went to WinCo today and got some beautiful beef and shanks. I recently got Rhulman's book on braising and will do some special meals. I'd like to get some pork shanks but theirs still have the trotters attached and I have nothing big enough to braise them.

They didn't have AhSo so will have to go to Asian market.