Karen's Chile Seasoning

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I think I have posted this before, but could not find it. This is my all-purpose seasoning that is good for tacos and as a rub before cooking chicken and pork, especially. If you use it, remember that there is already salt in it:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Karen's chile seasoning

6 oz dried chiles (mild, hot or combination. Ancho or pasillo are the mildest and guajillo and chiles de arbol are a little hotter. I mix them up.)
2 TBS ground cumin
2 tsp ground paprika
4 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic salt or powder
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp onion salt or powder
6 tsp dried cilantro

Roast chiles for a few minutes in a skillet or griddle, just to release aroma (1-2 minutes.) Cut off stems of chiles and remove seeds. Blend all ingredients with chiles in a food processor or blender until powdery. Store in an air-tight glass jar.
[/FONT]

Norm

Thanks. i copied it and will try it soon. My son is half Korean and his GF's dad is Mexican so there is a fondness here for spicy food like this looks to be.

Question, is dried cilantro the same as coriander or is it the dried leaves?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
You're all very welcome! I hope you enjoy it...it is certainly a staple in my spice cupboard. The dried cilantro I use is dried cilantro leaves (they look a bit like dried parsley). Not nearly as pungent and tasty as fresh cilantro, but better than nothing.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
It may be something that is only available in Mexico - I don't recall seeing it in the US now that I think about it.