Karen 's TNT Potluck Wild Rice and Spinach Salad

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]I've been making this salad for at least 25 years, and it is always popular at a potluck (which is where it is going today). Not many ingredients, but a nice mix of textures and flavors. It also keeps and travels well. I originally found it in a old Betty Crocker cookbook, and I've tweaked it just a bit, but not much. It's an oldie/goodie. And like most of us oldie/goodies, it's kinda pretty, too.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Karen 's TNT Potluck Wild Rice and Spinach Salad[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]10 oz package frozen chopped spinach (or equivalent fresh)[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]3 cups cooled cooked wild rice[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]3 cups cooled cooked long grain rice[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]¾ cup toasted slivered almonds[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]½ cup sliced green onions[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Soy sauce dressing [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]½ cup EVOO[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 TBS rice vinegar[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 TBS soy sauce[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 tsp sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]½ tsp salt[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]½ tsp pepper[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Thaw the spinach and drain well, by squeezing it. Mix spinach and remaining ingredients, except dressing.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Put the dressing ingredients in the blender and blend briefly. Pour over salad and mix thoroughly. Let this chill for at least three hours before serving.[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]8-10 servings[/FONT]

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 323

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That is VERY pretty Karen. I'll bet it's tasty and pretty healthy too!

Hmmmm...if I substitute turkey bacon for the regular bacon (I know...I know but I gotta cut back somewhere), and make it 10 servings, it's only 7 points+ per serving! I'll bet it would make a great lunch!

Thanks for posting this Karen!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Mama! I love it, because it is so crunchy, and turkey bacon would make it even healthier. You can also add some diced chicken to it to get more protein, if you want.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh man! Delicious-looking and different for a potluck!

Copied and saved!

Thanks, Karen!

Lee

Cuisinette

Oy, I just saw this recipe.

Thanks Karen, it is a keeper. I am not fond of rice but the two boys in the house are... and the more the merrier :)

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Lee and C! We just returned from our potluck with a clean and empty bowl. When I went into the kitchen to collect my stuff just before we left, one of our friends (from Minnesota, of course!) was surreptitiously shoveling the last bit of it into a plastic bag! It's a popular addition to a potluck - hope you enjoy it.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I just LOVE rice. Love it, and this looks fantastic. Will be making this soon! Thanks!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made this tonight.

I got a kick out of the last sentence in the recipe, "Let this chill for at least three hours before serving."

I think I ate 2 cups of it at various stages, while I was making it! It's delicious at ALL stages!

YUMMMM!!

Lee

Oh, I used brown rice instead of long grain white.

Attachments

• Wild Rice Salad.JPG
    Wild Rice Salad.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 283

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I made this tonight.

I got a kick out of the last sentence in the recipe, "Let this chill for at least three hours before serving."

I think I ate 2 cups of it at various stages, while I was making it! It's delicious at ALL stages!

YUMMMM!!

Lee

Oh, I used brown rice instead of long grain white.
That looks gorgeous!!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Looks wonderful, Lee. I'm so glad you liked it! I don't know why it never occurred to me to use brown rice - I'm sure it's better that way, and that's what I'll use next time I make it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I bought a red pepper and stuffed it with Karen's salad.

Paired that with portobello caps stuffed with a ground turkey/spinach/onion mixture I thawed.

Baked at 350 for an hour. Both were delicious.

However, I like Karen's rice salad better at room temp.

Lee

Attachments

• Stuffed peppers and portobellos.JPG
    Stuffed peppers and portobellos.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 284

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
How clever of you, Lee! I think it should make very good stuffing for a pepper. I'll try that next time I have leftovers!