Rice is starchy, who knew ?

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I had a nonstick rice cooker for white rice, used it a lot, and at some point, gross sort of coatings kept flaking off and into the rice. I just assumed it was the non stick coating and discarded the steamer.

We then graduated to a rice cooker with a solid iron pot and whereas I mostly used it for brown rice, I occasionally used it for white rice and ditto; at some point it looked like a coating peeling off.

The kids went just short of nuts but since the pot isn't non stick, no coating could be peeling off!

I Googled the situation and found out that STARCH was to blame.

Starch. In rice. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Did everyone know that but me ?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Sure and it is often washed a number of times but it still gives off a bit. I've tried a number of rice steamers/cooker but always seem to go back to a pot, broth/water on top of the stove.

Shermie

Site Supporter
My Emerilware Stainless Steel Cookware Set and my Pyrex Visions Glass Cookware Set both have that problem. Thats ther main problem with stainless steel and glass cookware as well.

Anytime that I cook rice, potatoes or pasta in any of those vessels, a white film is left on the inside of them after washing them.

And the only way to remove it is with a non-abrasive paste cleaner, such as Wright's Stainless Steel or Copper Cleaner. Or a powder cleaner like Barkeeper's Best Friend.

All the washing and scrubbing in the world is not going to remove it!!

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My Emerilware Stainless Steel Cookware Set and my Pyrex Visions Glass Cookware Set both have that problem. Thats ther main problem with stainless steel and glass cookware as well.

Anytime that I cook rice, potatoes or pasta in any of those vessels, a white film is left on the inside of them after washing them.

And the only way to remove it is with a non-abrasive paste cleaner, such as Wright's Stainless Steel or Copper Cleaner. Or a powder cleaner like Barkeeper's Best Friend.

All the washing and scrubbing in the world is not going to remove it!!

Yes and BarKeeper's Friend is my favorite of all. It even works great on tile, ceramic top stoves, stainless of course and even many plastics such as some of the modern bath tubs used. That and Dawn are my go to products for 90% of cleaning needs.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I think Dawn Power Dissolver also helps get rid of the white film as well.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
well, shermie, yeah, i knew that fer years. grains mean carbs. many foods mean carbs.
that means barley, many soups, fruits/veggies, milk, snacks, juices, pop, yogurts, desserts- gotta read labels if ur into avoiding carbs. bread, saltines, candy, adult beverages,- several meds. they bulk meds w/ various carbs.

ketosis results from lack of carbs. ketones can result in kidney failure.

when i ruin a pan, btw- i'll put soap & h2o in 'er & boil until clean.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
That white film can also come from cooking oatmeal, grits and other starchy foods.