I'm having a Pepper Emergency !

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I used to order my peppercorns and vanilla from Watkins when I had a friend who was their representative. She has since retired and I started getting my vanilla at Whole Foods since it was about the same price and it was pure vanilla and I figured it must be good. I don't bake that much anymore so that's not so much the issue as ...

Last night I took out the pepper grinder and saw it only had a few peppercorns left; that will last me hardly any time at all!

So - the title speaks for itself. I need to buy pepper and I'm not sure where to buy it!

I have enjoyed the multi colored peppercorns and the plain black. I'm not such a pepper snob - as long as it's fresh, I'm happy.

I'm anyway going to Whole Foods today to get DD her weekly allowment of brussel sprouts; does anyone think I should get my pepper there, at least for the short term?

I'm embarrased to say that I don't know how to bring it home either; I brought an empty prescription bottle to put the peppercorns in, just in case.

I could buy online but I live in NYC: I'm loathe to buy food and pay for shipping.

Anyone ?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I bought my 4 peppercorn blend from here My Spice Sage I got 2 free 1 oz samples. I was very happy with the product. Free USA shipping. I think they always give you a 1 oz free gift with every order. I just looked and one of the freebies is a 4 oz bag of applewood smoked salt with an order of $20.00+. The free sample change. So if you order now you can get salt and pepper. LOL Hope this helps.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I would vote to get the peppercorns at Whole Foods. If they sell them in bulk, they will provide small bags for you to scoop in just the amounts you need.

Lee

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Thank you both for responding.

I will, at least, look at the WF pepper since I'm going there during lunch today. I hope it will be fresh.

And I had a peek at that website; I typed in pepper and immediately got a ton of different items; you can even buy pepper in a 50 lb sack !!! I might do that when I have time to wait for something to be shipped.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Thank you both for responding.

I will, at least, look at the WF pepper since I'm going there during lunch today. I hope it will be fresh.

And I had a peek at that website; I typed in pepper and immediately got a ton of different items; you can even buy pepper in a 50 lb sack !!! I might do that when I have time to wait for something to be shipped.
I think they are located in brooklyn, NY. I am in jersey and got my order in several days. I ordered late on friday and got mine begining of the week like tuesday.

I'd just buy a small amount from Whole Foods & taste it first. Far too many stores these days - even popular ones - end up with stale product in their bulk bins.

I use black Tellicherry Peppercorns like a drug, & find CostCo's own Kirkland brand both reasonably-priced, as well as perfectly spicy & fresh. Another good source? "Penzey's" http://www.penzeys.com/.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Well!

There are no bulk bins. There are several different brands, with many many varieties of pepper - so many, that I can't remember the crazy names, colors, and ethnic origins of most of them.

Long story short, with much thought and taking jars off and putting them back onto the shelves, I got an on-sale pepper grinder for $3 with 2 oz of tri colored telicherry peppers which I am really excited about. I also got an inexpensive grinder with white peppercorns in it.

I guess I'll just wash out my regular grinder and let it air out for a while.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I also vote for Whole Foods for pepper. They sell as good of quality as anyone else I've seen and even sometimes cheaper.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
And I vote for Walmart for your Watkins vanilla. I miss those days of my grandfather selling Watkins while he was cutting gentleman's hair.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
would u mind mccormic blend- it's (honestly i'm phobic of pink pepper, it's not really pepper). you'll get thru! i use other brands besides my williams-sonoma. i keep pharmacy generics for $0.99 fer these situations. i'm addicted to fresh black pepper, alessi, alleso- i ferget & i really gotta leave like now-now. i use a few of thier items. you'll get by. maybe learn a thing or 2 of how to season otherwise, too! that's a good thing. okay i hafta leavvvvve.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hey moose! I am in NYC daily. Coffee sometime?

I go to shoprite (Fairlawn) and get Badia spices. They have proven to ne good (for me) and better prices than others. The catch is, that they are not shelved with the other spices. They are with the ethnic foods.

High Cheese

Saucier
I know this is a bit old, but...

Badia spices. They have proven to ne good (for me) and better prices than others. The catch is, that they are not shelved with the other spices. They are with the ethnic foods.

I try to buy Badia whenever I can. BJ's sells that brand too.