Cast Iron Griddle Cracked!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
About a couple of weeks ago, my brother had bought a cast iron griddle that he paid $30 for.

He brought it home and he heated it up to cook some chicken breasts on it - the side that makes the griddle marks on cooked food. But while heating it up, it had cracked on him!! We heard a loud 'bang!" that sounded very scary!!

I told him that given the fact that it was freezing cold outside and that the griddle had been in the trunk of my car for a long time, and that when he began heating it up to cook on, the sudden heat change made it crack!

I explained to him that he should've waited for the thing to warm up gradually. What do you think? :excl:

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
About a couple of weeks ago, my brother had bought a cast iron griddle that he paid $30 for.

He brought it home and he heated it up to cook some chicken breasts on it - the side that makes the griddle marks on cooked food. But while heating it up, it had cracked on him!! We heard a loud 'bang!" that sounded very scary!!

I told him that given the fact that it was freezing cold outside and that the griddle had been in the trunk of my car for a long time, and that when he began heating it up to cook on, the sudden heat change made it crack!

I explained to him that he should've waited for the thing to warm up gradually. What do you think? :excl:

I think if it was new there was a flaw in the casting. Heating it up from outdoor temperature unless you did it with a torch is not likely to cause the the pan to crack.

Leni

That could be but cast iron will crack if there is a sudden temperature change. It can be as little as from the stove to warm water in the sink.

Leni

He should. I love my CI and do most of my cooking with it. It browns or puts a crust on food better than anything else. My Dad considered it so essential to cooking that he'd carry a 14" skillet in his backpack hiking into the high Sierra. The nice thing was that we could put it directly on the fire to cook the trout that we had caught that day.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have cast iron cookware also. I especially love the skillets and the Dutch Oven!

I DO have a elcheapo griddle that I've been using for years, and almost similar to the one that my brother bought and didn't have luck with.

It is made from a lighter material and it has never cracked at all. If I can dig it out of storage, I would be more than happy to let him use it!! :bbq3:

Johnny West

BTW, can't he take it back and complain? Most places are good about taking back defective products.

I'd love to find another Griswold griddle. I bought mine from a hardware store in Dubuque and if I'd of known they would be collectable would have bought 2. Mine has been to Germany and back, and every fishing tip to Canada.

Shermie

Site Supporter
BTW, can't he take it back and complain? Most places are good about taking back defective products.

I'd love to find another Griswold griddle. I bought mine from a hardware store in Dubuque and if I'd of known they would be collectable would have bought 2. Mine has been to Germany and back, and every fishing tip to Canada.

He took it back and asked for a refund. :weber: