Pheasant Supreme

Johnny West

I had a few pheasant left in the freezer from my 2011 hunt in South Dakota. I was doing a bit of freezer diving today and found them; they were professionally shrink wrapped and look just like the day they went in the sharp freeze. We'll see how they taste.

Pheasant Supreme

Boil one pheasant and pick the bones after cooling. I usually pick out a tough old bird for this but young is fine.

1 quart of stock
Salt and pepper
4-6 cups of dressing (it is up to you but make sure you keep it moist)

Put the dressing in a cake or lasagna pan.

In a pan, heat up 1/4 - 1/2 stick of butter and sauté celery, onion, and sage as you would do for your favorite dressing recipe. Pour over dressing.

Place boned pheasant over the dressing mixture.

Make a thin gravy out of your stock and pour the dressing and pheasant.

Bake, covered (aluminum foil) 45 minutes @ 350 degrees F.

I make extra gravy out of chicken stock to serve at the table.

You can use chicken or any other type of upland game bird. The last time we made this we used a pheasant and three quail and it was just wonderful.

Johnny West

I cut up all the odd bread in the freezer for dressing and am drying it in shifts. The onions and celery are chopped and cooked and am beat. The bird was shot up a bit, sometimes I get on them too soon and tear them up, but got all the feathers out of the meat, just couldn't find any BB's. When I shred the meat will give the BB situation closer attention. Tomorrow will be a pre-Thanksgiving meal with Peter before going to Utah.

That last time I made this my brother from Alaska was coming through and made it with a pheasant and three quail I'd gotten the week before. Litttle did I know it would be our last meal and last time I'd ever see him. He passed that September and that is another story.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This sounds delicious!

I don't think I've ever had pheasant, but I'm pretty sure I'd like anything served with stuffing!

Lee

Johnny West

Pheasant is not objectionable albeit delicious and done with dressing and gravy, to die for.

I've got two sharptails in the freezer and that may be a different story. I'm told they are a liver flavour. I didn't shoot them, they were given to me.

Johnny West

This came out excellent and the bites of pheasants quite tender. For gravy just heated up two cans of Campbell's turkey gravy and it's good stuff. It looks pretty nondescript but is quite tasty and filling.

BTW, my mom found this recipe in a church cookbook back in the late 50's and it was a chicken recipe, she just subbed pheasant. In those days NE Iopwa was loaded with birds and my father got a lot.

FullSizeRender_22.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

FullSizeRender%202_14.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]