The "Breakfast" thread

Johnny West

If you don't have any Knorr's Hollandaise in your pantry or if (like me) you don't have a place to get it, here is a quick and easy way to make it:

□ 1/2 cup butter
□ 3 egg yolks
□ 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
□ Dash of cayenne pepper

Place egg yolks in blender with the lemon juice, turn blender on high speed for 5 seconds to blend. Melt butter in microwave until almost boiling. Turn blender back on high speed and gradually pour in butter. It will thicken into a beautiful yellow hollandaise in 20-40 seconds. The sauce may be kept warm by placing the blender bowl in warm water. The sauce cannot be reheated.

I need to learn this for my own eggs bennie.

I love smoke salmon bennie and get it whenever it's on the menu. I had it again for lunch after a several mile walk on Lucy Vincent Beach.

The wind was very strong and the sand was blowing but I was still able to get some sun. It was too rough to go in the water with the undertow and crashing waves. BTW, it was the nude beach but no pictures were taken. lol :good:

Here is the smoked salmon & bacon bennie I had for lunch.

IMG_6964.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Johnny West

Johnny, of all of the incredible breakfast photos you've posted from your stay on the Vineyard, the Lox Benedict was my absolute FAVORITE!!

I hope it tasted as good as it looks!

I hope you CAN taste!

Lee

It was vey good and one of the best I've had anywhere.

I can taste and feel like I'm getting better - the headache and sneezing is gone but feel like I'm "hung over" a bit. I haven't had anything to drink but beer and nothing at dinner last night. The Chillmark area is dry and it's BYOB at the restaurants. we just had Pelligrino water with dinner.

That is all.

Saliha

Sorry I am again a little lost with your words. What exactly is "bennie"? Is it same as "Eggs Benedict" or something else?

I with dictionary...
t9505.gif

Johnny West

Sorry I am again a little lost with your words. What exactly is "bennie"? Is it same as "Eggs Benedict" or something else?

I with dictionary...
t9505.gif

It's a colloquial term for Benedict that I first heard in Canada so many years ago. Please forgive me. :)

When I do this at home I use traditionally smoked salmon, not lox or Scottish smoked salmon.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i have not made hollandaise in awhile. i have yolks, can get cayenne if i can't find a pkt. of that in my pantry, lemon, vinegar, wht. pepper, seasalt, & butter that i hafta put on soon to clarify by my morning, & can make a bain marie of sorts. i'll put a hollandaise together right quick.
thanks, guys, for posting that~ i'll hafta hold that, tho, until i can get english muffins.

Last edited:

Johnny West

My local bakery outlet in Parkland, WA sells English muffins for 68 cents a tube so I never felt the need to try making them. They are excellent.

Today is more smoked bluefish, cream cheese, and bread.

Johnny West

I loved the mint tea I got Tunisia but never think to make it for myself.
Is the menthol an oil?

This morning was just an English muffin with butter and home made current jelly - it didn't last long and got 3 Little Debbie fruit pies at the commo. I can't continue to do that. :-(

Embryodad

Have to make some pancakes soon. Wishing for buckwheat pancakes.
Yummmm! a stack of 5, with a 1/4 stick of butter. Then, syrup drizzled as I eat them, so they don't absorb the syrup. I hate when that happens. Last week. we had waffles, and I buttered and filled each waffle to the top with syrup. Before you knew it, the syrup was gone. I had to refill the darn waffles with more syrup. I can't eat waffles unless I see the syrup floating on top.
Then I usually get an upset stomach, and wish I never ate them.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
took a little vacation - stayed in a nice place but they had sanitation issues at the breakfast buffet - kept finding mice on the plate.....

Attachments

• DSC_4232.jpg
    DSC_4232.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 246

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL! Now, THAT is a great pancake (or waffle?). Lots of craters for syrup to pool in!

Lee

Embryodad

Made myself a Taylor Ham ( pork roll ), egg and cheese, on a toasted ( and buttered ) English muffin.
Lots of black pepper so it is spicy and burning on the lips.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_roll This is it, and it's a regional food.
I never had it till I left PA to live here when I was 23 y/o. Also...It was an awakening to have a Bagel, or an English Muffin after that time.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
pabst. w/ toast/eggs. strawberry jam/butter, as well. yum. i'd make bacon, 'cept my local mkt. sells that @ an absurd price that i choose to not afford.
i hafta buy milk, tho. gotta stay well & get my calcium~

Last edited:

Johnny West

Yup, the price of bacon has skyrocketed. The CSA sells their pastured prok bacon for $12#. I prefer to go to WinCo and get bacon from Twin Falls, ID. It's about half that.

This morning it was cracklin oat bran cereal and a bowel of prunes. :sad:

Embryodad

Coffee with Hazelnut Coffee Creamer, and toast with Rhubarb Cherry Jam.

002.JPG
I see you like a little toast with your jam, huh? LOL

My wife Tina, loves a lot of jam or jelly, and only a little butter or peanut butter!
She yells at me when I make her toast and I don't put a lot of jam on it. She calls me stingy! LOL

Embryodad

I just made an egg and onion omelet for tomorrow, but I had to sneak a quick sandwich 10 minutes ago. Oh! I put mozzarella cheese on the omelet, and fried the cheese side down, then touched the fry pan on top of cold water bath so the cheese would stiffen, and I could easily take it out of the pan without sticking and running.
Then I flip it cheese side up; all browned and crispy on the edges. Ummmm!

Domestic Goddess

I see you like a little toast with your jam, huh? LOL

My wife Tina, loves a lot of jam or jelly, and only a little butter or peanut butter! She yells at me when I make her toast and I don't put a lot of jam on it. She calls me stingy! LOL

Yes, I like a little toast with my jam, as does your wife!
I agree with your wife... I guess I'd call ya stingy too! :biggrin:

This morning I had... 2 strips of bacon and a glass of Sunny-D.