Bread sticks?

Derek

Banned
Would this work for bread sticks?

Make a basic white bread dough or a sour dough, then do all the basic steps for the white bread, but the last kneeding you would make 4-8 little balls, then roll them into snake form, the same way you would with pretzels, Then go ahead put them on a cookie sheet and cook at the same time the white bread was cooked at?

And if your a garlic lover like I am do a butter & garlic mix and slather it on with a bbq brush!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Would this work for bread sticks?

Make a basic white bread dough or a sour dough, then do all the basic steps for the white bread, but the last kneeding you would make 4-8 little balls, then roll them into snake form, the same way you would with pretzels, Then go ahead put them on a cookie sheet and cook at the same time the white bread was cooked at?

And if your a garlic lover like I am do a butter & garlic mix and slather it on with a bbq brush!
Hell yez!
Why wouldn't it work Derek?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not sure, I've been thinking of cool ways to play with bread instead of the basic loaf form, and that's what I came upon my own.

Go ahead then.. cheese would be a good addition too.

Attachments

• 6a00d8341cc26e53ef00e54f9487ea8833-800wi.jpg
    6a00d8341cc26e53ef00e54f9487ea8833-800wi.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 155

lilylove

a question from someone who doesn't bake ....wouldn't you cook them for less time since they are cut in smaller pieces than the full loafs?

lilylove

yeah...but... the heat would get to the center of the dough quicker and cook it quicker. Right? It's not all in a huge lump any more?

You cook cupcakes for different times than a whole cake. :)

Derek

Banned
yeah...but... the heat would get to the center of the dough quicker and cook it quicker. Right? It's not all in a huge lump any more?

You cook cupcakes for different times than a whole cake. :)
I see your logic on this one, So instead of 30 minutes probably about 15 minutes?

lilylove

I have no idea...lol.... if ya notice the first posting...

it said..." a question from someone who doesn't bake!!!"

You need to ask JoeV or one of the bakers around here. Or just watch your sticks really close while they are in the oven.

Derek

Banned
I have no idea...lol.... if ya notice the first posting...

it said..." a question from someone who doesn't bake!!!"

You need to ask JoeV or one of the bakers around here. Or just watch your sticks really close while they are in the oven.
Sorry about the that Trish, I forgot you said you didn't bake.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
When baking bread sticks, you need to watch them the first time until they turn a nice golden brown. Record the time on your recipe, and it will make it easier for subsequent batches. Also, try to bake the same size shapes in the same pan. This way you won't get uneven baking. A 4 ounce roll will take longer to bake than a 2 ounce bread stick, so bake them in different batches.

Here are some different bread shapes. Click Here

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I make breadsticks all the time, Derek. I just use the plain, white bread recipe, let it rise once, divide it into 8 pieces and roll each piece into a "rope", lay them out on a baking sheet, cover and let rise again, then bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. (Sometimes they need to bake as long as 12 minutes but start checking at 10 minutes.) These are the ones like they have at Olive Garden. You can also brush them with melted butter and sprinkle them with garlic powder before baking if you like.

Derek

Banned
I make breadsticks all the time, Derek. I just use the plain, white bread recipe, let it rise once, divide it into 8 pieces and roll each piece into a "rope", lay them out on a baking sheet, cover and let rise again, then bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. (Sometimes they need to bake as long as 12 minutes but start checking at 10 minutes.) These are the ones like they have at Olive Garden. You can also brush them with melted butter and sprinkle them with garlic powder before baking if you like.
Thank you for your help Terry.

Derek

Banned
When baking bread sticks, you need to watch them the first time until they turn a nice golden brown. Record the time on your recipe, and it will make it easier for subsequent batches. Also, try to bake the same size shapes in the same pan. This way you won't get uneven baking. A 4 ounce roll will take longer to bake than a 2 ounce bread stick, so bake them in different batches.

Here are some different bread shapes. Click Here
Thanks again Joe, I'll do that.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You said you were thinking about making some soft pretzels? On those, I think you have to boil soft pretzels for just a minute before you bake them, if I'm not mistaken, and then brush them with egg yolk mixed with water and sprinkle with a course pretzel salt before baking.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Thank you for your help Terry.
You're most welcome! Breadsticks are one of the things I make more than anything else because they are very hard to screw up and everyone loves them! BTW, when you make them, try serving pizza sauce and/or ranch dressing to dip them in. Yummy!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I followed Joes recommendations when I made mine, and they were from a simple white bread recipe just like yours. It worked very well!!