Zucchini Salsa

Johnny West

This is the recipe used for the zucchini salsa made last month.

http://www.food.com/recipe/zucchini-salsa-canned-11217

A gal pal of mine sent me the recipe she uses and said I could sub zucchini for the cukes; maybe next year.

Awesome Sauce Salsa -- recipe makes three quarts. It can be multiplied if you have a big enough pot!
8 cups ripe tomatoes any kind, peeled (drop into hard boiling water and boil for 30 seconds to loosen skin) drained, chopped (I run them through a pulse or two in the blender)
2 cups (or more...) seeded cucumbers, hand chopped (set aside)
The next four ingredients I also chop in the blender together and you can adjust amounts up or down a little if desired:
1.5 cups green pepper
1 cup jalapenos, with seeds (add more or less to taste)
1 cup onions
6 garlic cloves (I use the chopped garlic in a jar, it's easier -- 2 Tbsp)
2 tsp cumin (don't leave this out!)
2 tsp black pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup vinegar (don't leave this out!)
12-16 ounce can of tomato paste
8 ounce can of tomato sauce, but only if the mix looks too thick. I don't add the sauce but it might be needed if all Roma tomatoes are used.

Mix all ingredients EXCEPT cucumbers and bring to a slow boil. Boil ten minutes. Only use enough heat to slow boil, mix will burn with too much heat. Don't ask how I know this... o_O
Add cucumbers to boiling mix, bring back to a boil and boil for 1-2 minutes.
Ladle into prepared canning jars. Be sure to wipe the top rim of the jars clean before applying lids. Tighten rims just barely, this lets the air escape during the hot water bath.
Lower into boiling hot water bath (all jars should be completely submerged!) bring back to boil and boil for ten minutes. Remove and let sit and cool (don't touch or jostle for 24 hours) and listen for the happy lid popping!

Johnny West

Yesterday Nancy made salsa from tomatillos, garlic, and jalapeños from our raised beds and it’s excellent.

IMG_1891.jpeg
IMG_1890.jpeg
IMG_1889.jpeg