Thunder Storm Killed our Power Supply

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry for the outage guys .....Thunder Storm got our power supply. All is okay for now. Keeping fingers crossed.
If you see DB errors please post about them here if possible.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
The nasty storms that tore through here late today came from down your way. We have a lot of road damage and some flooding going on.

Leni

I wondered why I couldn't get on the website. I'm going to have to talk to the weather Gods.

Leni

I don't know about that but dad was a weatherman for Trans World Airlines for 34 years. Maybe that will give me an in.

Shermie

Site Supporter
A friend of mine has just had an emergency generator installed and completely hooked up, so that if there is ever a power outage in the area, the generator will kick in, supplying power to the whole house.

This is an expensive thing to do, but it will pay off in the end, for those times when a tree falls and knocks out power in the neighborhood! He'll have backup power to keep things running as they normally would when the neighborhood has the power on. :wink:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had thoughts of moving hosting to my house, but my power is out rather often. I splurged and got a whole house generator. One that comes on 15 seconds after the power goes out. Perfect. When power comes back on it switches over automatically, no blip in the power. Awesome.
So we had our first extended outage since I had it installed. Everything worked as it was supposed to except for my internet. I'm guessing the cable company gets power from out on the pole which sends the signal to my house. When power is out no signal. Just because I have power in my house does not help. So, even when powered with my generator I still have no internet other than my cell phone hot spot. So ..... generators are not the answer for connectivity at my house.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Guess the main reason for having one is so that your food does not eventually spoil in the fridge or freezer if the power outage is too long.

And so that you can run your a/c in the summer and your heating system in the winter. :biggrin:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Guess the main reason for having one is so that your food does not eventually spoil in the fridge or freezer if the power outage is too long.

And so that you can run your a/c in the summer and your heating system in the winter. :biggrin:
Well that and internet. LOL. Mine can run everything but air. So when power is out I turn off air if I'm home. If not home not much else is on so air is okay then.