Roasted Eggplant "Sandwiches"

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Every year, my garden yields a ton of mini eggplants, and I'm always looking for easy ways to use them.

This weekend, I found a recipe for Eggplant Rollatini using roasted, not breaded and fried, slices.

Since my eggplants were so small, rolling was not an option. So I made sandwiches out of the slices, adding slices of proscuitto for good measure.

WONDERFUL!

Oh, the recipe made way more filling than I had eggplant slices, so I would either cut the recipe in half next time, or make double the number of sandwiches.

Lee

Roasted Eggplant "Sandwiches"
  • 3-4 small eggplants
  • ¼ lb proscuitto
  • ¼ cups Olive Oil
  • Salt And Pepper
  • 2 cups Part-skim Ricotta Cheese
  • 1 whole Egg Beaten
  • 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
  • ½ cups Grated Parmesan Cheese, Divided
  • 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • ¼ cups Fresh Basil, Chiffonade
  • 1 jar favorite tomato sauce
  • 8 ounces, weight Fresh Mozzarella, Sliced Thin
Preheat oven to 450ºF. Put a cooling rack on a rimmed baking sheet.
Cut off stem of each eggplant and slice lengthwise into 3 slices. Put the slices on the cooling rack, brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
Roast eggplant for 10 minutes per side, remove from the oven, and then cover the pan with foil to allow the eggplant to continue to steam and soften for about 10 minutes.
Combine ricotta, egg, shredded mozzarella, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, garlic, fresh basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
Spread half of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Spread a generous amount of the ricotta filling over half of the eggplant slices. Place slices of prosciutto on top of the filling. Top each sandwich with a non-filled slice of eggplant. Pour the remaining tomato sauce over the eggplant sandwiches. Evenly place fresh mozzarella slices over the top and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes.

Raw slices, brushed with oil and seasoned
Eggplant 1 -brushed with oil.JPG
Roasted slices
Eggplant 2 - after roasting.JPG

Stuffed sandwiches

Eggplant 3 - stuffed sandwiches.JPG

Ready for oven

Eggplant 4 - ready for oven.JPG

Baked eggplant sandwiches
Eggplant 5 - baked.JPG

Plated
Eggplant 6 - plated.JPG

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
yum, lee. great for lo-carbers, too, if u gotta make a food 4 guests!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Every year, my garden yields a ton of mini eggplants, and I'm always looking for easy ways to use them.

]/QUOTE]

You might like Mapo Eggplant. It's Mapo Tofu but sub's eggplant for the tofu.