per person-

-1 tbsp. olive oil
-1/4 tsp. dijon mustard
-1 1/2 tsp. balsamic vinager
-1 clove garlic, minced
-pinch seasalt/dash fresh-cracked black pepper
--------------------------------------------------
whisk together.
remove stem from a portobello. use a spoon to scoop gills from underside. brush w/ above blend, reserve extra. grill (place cap downward) until 1/2-cooked; turn & put 1 ounce herbed boursin, brie, cambazola, port salut, or similar type cheese into cap. toss 7-ish arugula leaves w/ remainder of above mixture. place in caps & continue to cook through. brush a or other hearty bread w/ oil & quickly grill inside halves. place portobello on bread.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
TY, lee.
btw, granulated garlic may be used since fresh can over-caramelize so quickly.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is a recipe I've tried often and love.

Emeril's Portobello Mushroom-Blue Cheese Burgers and a lemon Aioli

Ingredients:
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
4 large fresh portobello mushrooms, wiped clean and stems removed
4 thick Vidalia onion slices
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
6 ounces Gorgonzola, thinly sliced
Lemon Aioli, recipe follows
4 large whole-wheat hamburger buns or large kaiser rolls
1 bunch watercress, rinsed and dried, stems removed

Method:
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, garlic, and rosemary. Place the mushrooms in a large re-sealable plastic bag, or a baking dish, and cover with the marinade. Marinate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours.

Prepare the grill.

Drizzle onions with olive oil and place on grill. Cook until softened and slightly charred.

Remove the mushrooms from the marinade and pat dry. Season both sides with salt and pepper, and place gill sides-down on the grill.

Cook for 5 minutes, then turn. Arrange the cheese on the gills of each mushroom and continue to cook until tender, about 6 to 8 minutes.

Open the rolls and lightly toast on the grill, insides down.

Place 1 grilled mushroom inside each bun and top with grilled onions. Garnish each, to taste, with aioli.

Divide the watercress among the 4 buns and serve immediately.

Yield: about 1 cup

Lemon Aioli:

Ingredients:
3 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Pinch cayenne
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Method:
While the food processor is running, drop in garlic cloves. Add the salt, eggs and lemon juice. Pulse to incorporate. Add the cayenne. Slowly drizzle in the oil, a little at a time, until all the oil is incorporated and the mixture emulsifies. Keep refrigerated until ready to use. (Use within 24 hours.)

I've also made these in a grille frying pan on top of the stove.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Joe, that lemon aioli sounds easy and delicious!

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
agreed~ summer food rocks! that aioli would be be so delicious on a turkey burger, too, joe. dammit if i'm not gonna make 1.
I use a whisk/bowl to make aioli, tho. would that have an effect on its composition/texture--

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
agreed~ summer food rocks! that aioli would be be so delicious on a turkey burger, too, joe. dammit if i'm not gonna make 1.
I use a whisk/bowl to make aioli, tho. would that have an effect on its composition/texture--

I use a whisk/bowl also to make aioli myself as though I have and use a food processor I prefer creamy sauces done by hand. I for one love almost all eatable mushrooms but particularly portobello in place of meat once in awhile. Actually thinking about hitting the store tonight and get some to make tomorrow for lunch.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks great. John! As much as I love provolone, I think I really would adore luv's idea of boursin on the Portobello burger.

Do you have your vegetarian son coming over tonight? I'm always interested in what you prepare for him, especially around Lent, when I observe the Catholic "no meat on Fridays" practice.

(Actually, never having been Catholic, I'm not sure if they still do that, but I've been doing it for the past several years, just because I want to.)

Lee

Johnny West

I used Tillamook white cheddar as it was what I had. Peter didn't want cheese as he had some before dinner. I added tomato, sweet onion, mayo, yellow mustard, a catchup. The buns were small so cut the big mushroom in half for two Sandwiches.

Peter was here for the weekend and all meals were vegetarian except we gave Amelia cold chicken and salmi. She's a fussy eater.

Friday night we had chicken pot pie with Quorn faux chicken. One would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Saturday night was the mushroom frajitas. Some meals we do have meat but fix his something separate. Almost all of our sides are vegetarian.

For Lent I will eat fish on Friday's and have several meals planned, besides salmon.

Attachments

• ########Porto Burger.JPG
    ########Porto Burger.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 958
  • ########Porto Burger BU.JPG
    ########Porto Burger BU.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 957
  • ########Porto Burger Wit Cheese.JPG
    ########Porto Burger Wit Cheese.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 963
  • ########Porto Burger MS.JPG
    ########Porto Burger MS.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 976

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
John, I notice that you don't scrape out the gills. I never have, either, but I have recently read a couple of recipes that say to do that (although, I don't remember the reason for it).

Luvs, or anyone else - why do you get rid of the gills of portobellos?

Lee

Johnny West

It could be they harbour dirt but once cooked I don't mind.
I thought the gills did a good job of soaking up the marinade
and enhances the flavour. I did save the stems for to chop up
and put in marinara.