Chinese Oven Ribs

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is a copy of my post on another forum. These ribs are so good that it bears repeating!

Much like Keltin's "Easy Oven Ribs" technique, but the sauce is different.

Lee

I cannot believe how great these oven ribs turned out!

I had three slabs of babyback ribs for 10 people, and a TON of other food. I think there were 7 ribs left!

Char Sui Marinade(adapted from Paul Kirk’s book, Champion Barbecue Sauces and Rubs) – for Chinese pork

Makes 1 ¼ cup

½ cup sugar
3 T sherry (dry or sweet – I use dry)
2 T soy sauce
½ cup hoisin sauce
2 teas minced gingerroot
½ teas 5-spice powder
1 teas salt
½ teas (or more) red food coloring

In a bowl, dissolve sugar in the sherry and soy
sauce. Add the hoisin sauce, ginger, 5-spice powder, salt and red food coloring. Blend well.

Marinate pork loin or ribs overnight. Roast, grill or smoke until just done.

I foiled 2 jelly roll pans and poured some water into them. Put racks over the pans and placed the ribs on the racks.

Roasted in the oven at 350 for a half hour, after which time I rotated the ribs on the oven racks (switched them, top to bottom), basted them with the leftover marinade that I'd simmered, and turned the oven down to 300 for another half hour.

At the end of the second half hour, I took the ribs out, basted them with more simmered sauce, then stacked them on top of each other and foiled them with heavy duty aluminum foil. I held them in a warm oven until we were ready to
eat. Sliced and served.

Now I am wondering why I spent so much time messing with a smoker and cookingribs outside! Kidding, because bbq'd ribs are wonderful, but so were these Chinese babies!

Lee

17 Char Siu Ribs.JPG

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Looks really good! Thanks for the pics! I'm gonna have to try this one.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Now that looks amazing!!! I will definitely be trying these!!! Thanks!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Since I discovered Ah So sauce, I found that making Chinese ribs and roasted pork is easier and maybe even better tasting.

For football game day, I picked up a rack of St. Louis style spare ribs for $1.99 a pound.

Remove the membrane from the back, slather with Ah So sauce, and sprinkle with BBQ rub (optional).

Roast on a rack (or flat in a pan) at 250 for 3 hours. Lower the oven temp to 170 and wrap the ribs in foil until just about ready to eat.

Slather with more Ah So and pop under the broiler until nicely charred.

Good eats!

Lee
Ah So Ribs.JPG

Last edited:

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
They both look great Lee. Was 1 hour total cooking time enough for fall off the bone tenderness for the first one?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Med, "falling off the bone" ribs are overdone ribs, IMO. I like tender, juicy ribs with a bit of chew (a slight tug to separate them from the bone) to them.

I cooked them at a higher temp in the oven than I would have smoked them. The half hour at 350, the half hour at 300 and leaving them in foil in a 170 degree oven for another hour or so was perfect for these babybacks.

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I know, that's what they want for judging in competition and that's the way Craig prefers them, but I like fall off the bone. shrug

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I know, that's what they want for judging in competition and that's the way Craig prefers them, but I like fall off the bone. shrug

Oh, okay, well then I'd leave the oven at 300 when the ribs are foiled and go for another half hour.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Those look really good. I like to pick them up and eat them off the bone.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the original recipe. We tried it on some country style pork ribs since we had some in the freezer and it was really good.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Since I discovered Ah So sauce, I found that making Chinese ribs and roasted pork is easier and maybe even better tasting.

For football game day, I picked up a rack of St. Louis style spare ribs for $1.99 a pound.

Remove the membrane from the back, slather with Ah So sauce, and sprinkle with BBQ rub (optional).

Roast on a rack (or flat in a pan) at 250 for 3 hours. Lower the oven temp to 170 and wrap the ribs in foil until just about ready to eat.

Slather with more Ah So and pop under the broiler until nicely charred.

Good eats!

Lee

Looks DELISH!! :piesmiley1::eating2: