Vegan Barbecue Ribz

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
ok this is not my recipe... it is posted on one of my other forums... and well it didnt get a great response there because we cook animal parts..lol

http://www.vegfamily.com/vegan-recipes/entrees/vegan-ribs.htm

Ingredients:

• 2/3 cup of water
  • 2 Tbl spoons soy butter
  • 3 Tbl spoons peanut butter
  • 8 Tbl spoons wheat gluten
  • 7 Tbl spoons nutritional yeast
  • 9 Tbl spoons whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup BBQ sauce
  • spices to taste (onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, etc)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat soy butter and add the peanut butter, mixing it so that it's consistent throughout.

Mix the wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, wheat flower and spices in a dry bowl. Add the water and knead until almost all of the dry powder is absorbed. Do not over-knead. This dough is really sticky.

Form the dough into a flat shape about one-half inch thick. Add one-half of the peanut butter mixture to the top of the flattened dough. Use your fingers to poke the peanut butter mixture deeply into the dough. Do this for about 30 seconds. Turn the dough over and pour the remaining half of the peanut butter mixture onto the dough, again using your fingers to poke into the dough.

Use a pizza cutter to cut one-half inch strips of dough. Make them as long or as short as you like them. Lay out on a lightly oiled baking pan. Bake for about 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes, use a spatula to turn the "ribs" over. Spoon or brush on BBQ sauce and return to the oven.

Bake for another 5 minutes. Remove and turn the ribs over again. Spoon or brush on some more BBQ sauce.

Bake for another 5 minutes. Remove and enjoy your hot, sweet and sticky "ribz!"

Makes enough for four.

Comments: Wheat gluten is high in protein (80% by weight, I think), so combined with whole wheat flour, this dish can offer up quite a bit of protein in one meal. I'm not a nutritionist, but I belive this to be correct. Someday, I'd like to plug this recipe into one of those fancy recipe software programs and view the nutritional analysis.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
There's no "meat" in there. Surely there is a way to modify this recipe to include portobello mushrooms, the "steak" of vegetarians? :respect:

buckytom

Grill Master
bam, you could submit your recipes at recipezaar.com, and if they're accepted, they'll post them with all of the nutritional info.