Roast Beef Po Boy

LADawg

One of the local grocery stores here carry Reising Po Boy bread that is baked by Leidenheimer bakery in New Orleans. http://www.leidenheimer.com/products_l.htm
If you have never eaten any real New Orleans French bread you are missing a treat! I buy about a loaf a week. Not only do we make some sandwiches using it, but we like it sliced length wise and toasted at breakfast.
This week we have had roast beef po boys, but using beef cooked using a recipe that I have for Italian Roast Beef, Chicago Style.
You better have plenty of napkins handy. The sandwich can be, as they call it in New Orleans, dressed with lettuce and tomato if you like.

ITALIAN ROAST BEEF Chicago style
3 to 5 Pound Chuck Roast
4 Garlic Cloves, or to taste, finely copped
1 Teaspoon Oregano, dried
1 Teaspoon Basil, dried
1 Teaspoon Thyme, dried
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper fresh ground
1 Onion medium sliced
2 Cups Beef Broth
1/2 Cup Red Wine
1/2 Cup Water
In a small bowl mix together the Garlic, Oregano, Basil, Thyme, Salt and Pepper. Rub
mixture over the Roast. Make sure that all areas are covered. Place Roast in a plastic bag that can be closed. Add Onion slices, one cup of the Beef Broth, the Wine, and the Water. Seal bag and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Place all ingredients from the bag, along with the other cup of Beef Broth, in a slow cooker. Turn cooker to low and cook for 7 to 8 hours. Remove Roast from slow cooker, drain well, and place in a lidded container or wrap in Aluminum foil. Refrigerate for several hours. Remove Onion slices from liquid, strain liquid, reserve it, and refrigerate for several hours in a lidded container.
Remove chilled Roast from the refrigerator. Slice very thin. Place back in a slow cooker, cover it with the reserved liquid (see notes) used in cooking and heat on low or keep warm, for a hour.
Notes: Serve on Sub rolls or a Poor Boy loaf. Make sure that they have a little of the of
the liquid or gravy on them
I like to make a slur with Corn Starch and a little Water and thicken up the liquid
before adding it to the sliced Beef