poached haddock

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
as a fish dish, haddock is not a big seller. it's a good fish - methinks it needs a sexier name.

for two.

no pix, as this was my first trip through this recipe/approach. wished I had....there's a lesson there....

1.5 lbs / 680 g haddock filet. okay okay, a bit on the much side for two people - I would have been happier at 1.25 lb / 570 g - but I opted to take the whole filet 'side' - this has a downside - see below.

pretty much every 'poached haddock' recipe on-line is based on milk/cream. odd methought... but anywhey . . . proceeded according to plan:

note - most recipes call for a lemony sauce - I used one whole fresh lemon, rolled, sliced in half at the equator, juiced with a reamer into a bowl - seeds, pulp, the works, juice later added through a strainer....

before starting the fish poach, in a separate 2 qt / 500 ml pot, make a 1:1 roux - 2 tbsp / 30 g butter + 2 tbsp / 30 ml flour, and lightly bubble for 4-5 minutes to cook out the raw flour, then add 2 tbsp / 30 ml dry mustard and lemon juice and whisk in - the roux will "seize" / congeal - that's okay - allow to cool.

in a 10" / 26 cm fry pan, add one medium finely sliced&quartered yellow onion, a cup / 250 ml of water, no salt, lots of fresh ground black pepper and 3 tbsp / ? g of dried parsley. bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, allow volume to reduce by about 50%.

add the haddock filet - I had to cut it in half so it would fit in the pan.
add milk to cover fish, increase heat to bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to a very gentle simmer, and cover. recheck heat after 2-3 minutes - the cover contains heat and will create a more vigorous simmer - not a good thing for poaching fish.... at this point, re-start re-heating the roux . . .

haddock is done when it just starts to separate into flakes. take it off the heat / off the burner - no residual heating please....

bring the roux pot back up to temperature, add ladle by ladle the milk poaching liquid to create a sauce of your heart's desired thickness. hit the heat - the poaching liquid is "cool" - use a whisk, don't walk away.

plate fish, drizzle sauce - steamed green asparagus is a good side (can also be sauced); boiled/smashed red potatoes....

excellent yummy dish which is more complicated to write out than execute.

Things that went a bit off in this first try -

The Fish: I got the whole filet - gills to tail, which = thick to thin. not recommended comma because the thinner portion poached quicker than the thicker portion. DW thought the fish was a bit chewy - a chewy fish has been over cooked - not a lot of Q's on that issue. the thicker portion, which wound up on my plate, and which I used to judge doneness - methought was excellent. so - be alert - either get pieces of relatively same thickness or pull the thinner pieces out of the poach sooner.

The Lemon: I estimate the juice of the fresh lemon was about 3 tbsp / 45 ml. DW found the sauce too lemony - I found it delicious. so.....adjust the quantity to preferences.

Bottom Line: fear not the haddock in a milk poach - it's good eats.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL! Well-written story, Chowderman!

I am not a huge fan of fish, but haddock is one of my favorites.

I ADORE fried haddock, but hate making it at home. I order it in fish tacos or fish and chips, or a fish sandwich if I'm out.

At home, I make the easy and luscious topping of crushed Ritz crackers, butter, garlic and wine, then bake it briefly - lemon wedge garnish.

I don't believe I've ever had it poached. I'm sure it's the most healthy option!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
ohh, post that Ritz cracker method - sounds good!

the milk poach is not bad on the health-o-meter - but the recipes starting with "reduce one pint of heavy cream" might change that (g)

a milk bath is a frequent "fish trick" - one theory holds it can "save" a stinky fish - well, if it stinks, I'm not eating it. another part is like "game" meat, the milk proteins moderate a strong taste. dunno. it worked.

ordering fish in a restaurant / fast food / greasy spoon one can assume about 75% of the time it ain't really the fish that was specified on the menu.

I've been served fish that I absolutely positively know hands down no question about it - weren't the fish what they said. I grew up around the east coast waters, I fished, I know the difference between for example sea bass and perch by color, taste, skin, fins and bone structure. the once or twice I've challenged the fish type, they sent out 'the chef' and it rapidly became obviously his knowledge was limited to feathers or scales . . . buying from 'the whole fish' makes it a lot easier to identify - especially something like a monk fish - which one is not likely to forget . . .

Johnny West

ohh, post that Ritz cracker method - sounds good!

the milk poach is not bad on the health-o-meter - but the recipes starting with "reduce one pint of heavy cream" might change that (g)

a milk bath is a frequent "fish trick" - one theory holds it can "save" a stinky fish - well, if it stinks, I'm not eating it. another part is like "game" meat, the milk proteins moderate a strong taste. dunno. it worked.

ordering fish in a restaurant / fast food / greasy spoon one can assume about 75% of the time it ain't really the fish that was specified on the menu.

I've been served fish that I absolutely positively know hands down no question about it - weren't the fish what they said. I grew up around the east coast waters, I fished, I know the difference between for example sea bass and perch by color, taste, skin, fins and bone structure. the once or twice I've challenged the fish type, they sent out 'the chef' and it rapidly became obviously his knowledge was limited to feathers or scales . . . buying from 'the whole fish' makes it a lot easier to identify - especially something like a monk fish - which one is not likely to forget . . .

You've never had a chance to talk to my son. His striped bass he gets for specials he buys right at the dock or from Net Results. (He did, he is no longer located on Martha's Vineyard.)