Wellfleet Oysters

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So, I just discovered that I loved fried oysters a couple of years ago!

I am not a shellfish fan, but I like small, fresh fried clams and I now love small, round, sweet fried oysters even more.

Wellfleet Oysters are a big deal on Cape Cod, MA. Wellfleet is a town on the Cape, and the oysters are supposed to be the best.

I tried them, fried, for the first time on my mini vacation in Provincetown, MA a week ago.

The fried oysters we got were HUGE!!! The pictures don't show how big those bellies were! They were VERY tender, and sweet, but there was a greenish-black tamale or something in the bellies that totally threw me.

YUCK!!

I will be cautious about ordering them again!

I must say that the father of the owner of Townsend's was a great source of entertainment and information. And the fries were excellent!

We didn't get anything at the seafood bar, but it looked good (if you like that stuff).

Lee

Attachments

• Townsend's, Wellfleet Oysters.JPG
    Townsend's, Wellfleet Oysters.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 238
  • Fried Wellfleet oysters.JPG
    Fried Wellfleet oysters.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Townsend's seafood bar.JPG
    Townsend's seafood bar.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 241

Carolina Cooking

I used to watch friends & family eat them by the gallon.
Me I almost hurled .
then this guy I had my eye on :laugh: asked me out. Of all places a oyster bar. "do you like oysters?' Oh yes I love them :laugh::laugh:
so there ya go, my first oyster's.It was tough getting past that first one, but oh boy . I have a new found love. and it wasn't him either.

I can eat a gallon of them now with the best of them. steamed, fried..:thumb:

I see sea scallops on that table. Love them too.

Lee - those are GORGEOUS fried oysters!!!!! While I don't care much for really huge ones, I do like them a bit larger than the ones we get down here.

I can't stomach oysters raw (although surprinsingly enough, I love raw clams), but LOVE them cooked in any fashion - fried, baked, broiled, grilled, etc., etc. Particularly like them "Rockefeller"-style, with a nice savory spinach topping, & also enjoyed them broiled in a restaurant topped with an arugula pesto & parmesan cheese.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, Breezy, the owner's father (in my photo) said that I likely had oysters from the South when I had them twice before.

Well, I LOVED those! Trade ya!

I'm telling you, the big mushy bellies with the greenish-black goo of those Wellfleet oysters was really off-putting.

I'd try the baked ones if I could be sure they were nice little ones!

Lee

Calicolady

QSis, those oysters are GORGEOUS!
I'll have them and anything in that refridgerated fish case. WOW!

I'll eat 'em raw or cooked any way shape or form! Clams too

Nice pics!

CC, too funny. So all was not wasted, I guess.

LETHAL GTS

I too love oysters.
One of my favorites is kaki misonaise!
But I'll eat them raw.

Attachments

• IMG00410-20101227-1738.jpg
    IMG00410-20101227-1738.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 222

LETHAL GTS

Mayo a little miso paste and a dash of sake! Mix good and then slather it over your oysters and bake. You may want to play around with how much miso you use depending on how salty you like. I sometimes add just a hint of rooster saucel, but be careful. Too much will ruin your dish.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Mayo a little miso paste and a dash of sake! Mix good and then slather it over your oysters and bake. You may want to play around with how much miso you use depending on how salty you like. I sometimes add just a hint of rooster saucel, but be careful. Too much will ruin your dish.

Thanks, I should be able to get some oysters real soon. I've never tried miso, but I'm game.

Lee's Bud

Hey QSis and all. New to Net Cooking Talk and looking forward to the experience. Growing up by the ocean, if it's caught or dug up in sea water, I LOVE it fried, baked, poached, boiled, smoked and (sometimes) raw. No aversion to big bellies on clams or oysters - that's where the flavor is :).

I used to be averse to raw seafood, but as with anything, we must first overcome our perception and give it a go. e.g. Initially raw oysters looked like well, I have to say it and if I'm out of line... what my grandfather - nah, won't say it. Now I get oysters from a local market and savor them raw with a titch of lemon and freshly ground pepper. My first aversion was to cumin which smelled like BO. The next was cilantro which tasted like soap. I'm now a fan of both.

Loved your pics! If someone asked if I liked to try kaki misonaise... NOT. Guess not knowing what is misonaise my mind focused on the kaki. On the other hand, the picture made me weep for some. :) Thanks LETHAL.

Look forward to more discussions.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey QSis and all. New to Net Cooking Talk and looking forward to the experience. Growing up by the ocean, if it's caught or dug up in sea water, I LOVE it fried, baked, poached, boiled, smoked and (sometimes) raw. No aversion to big bellies on clams or oysters - that's where the flavor is :).

I used to be averse to raw seafood, but as with anything, we must first overcome our perception and give it a go. e.g. Initially raw oysters looked like well, I have to say it and if I'm out of line... what my grandfather - nah, won't say it. Now I get oysters from a local market and savor them raw with a titch of lemon and freshly ground pepper. My first aversion was to cumin which smelled like BO. The next was cilantro which tasted like soap. I'm now a fan of both.

Loved your pics! If someone asked if I liked to try kaki misonaise... NOT. Guess not knowing what is misonaise my mind focused on the kaki. On the other hand, the picture made me weep for some. :) Thanks LETHAL.

Look forward to more discussions.

Welcome, Jan!

I hope you stick around and share some of your great cooking and baking recipes and techniques with the NCT members! I can attest to your terrific skills!

When you have the chance, please post in the Introductions forum.

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Glad to see you here, girlfriend!

Lee

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
I LOVE Oysters Rockefeller, and Oysters Mignonette. . .BUT DAMN, fried oysters, a good basket of fries and an ice cold lager, how in the world could that be bad?! Looks fantastic!

Johnny West

I had Wellfleet oysters at the Brotherhood of Thieves in Nantucket and they were excellent - I don't know who's are best but I've had raws from Duck, NC to the PEI and all have been excellent. I'd love an oyster cake right now.

Lee, here are the oyster shooters I had last week.

FullSizeRender_39.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

K

Kimchee

Of of the things I really miss about North Carolina is oysters.
Love them however you serve them... even tinned smoked oysters.
A restaurant in my hometown offers the Flaming Rooster..
a big juicy raw oyster on a saltine. On a bed of a thick layer of the hottest horseradish I've ever had. (And I like hot horseradish). Then they add a jalapeno slice, a generous dousing of hot sauce, and an insane amount of cracked black pepper.
Eat three and get a T-shirt. (I've got a few.)
The record is 43 in one sitting.
Give me a peck and a half of steamed oysters, some crackers, hot sauce, butter and cocktail sauce....I am a happy man.
Not available in southern Indiana. Sigh.

Johnny West

I like a little horseradish or sauce but too hot takes away from the subtle brininess and flavour of the oyster. Each oyster rearing domaine is different and I want to be able to enjoy them for what they are.

The big NW oysters are good for pan frying and with them I don't care - bring on the hot.