The Cake Chemistry – Science of baking

If you have ever gone to a culinary school, one of the basic lessons you would learn is, baking is a science. Every ingredient from flour to salt, in baking plays a scientifically important role in delivering the desired texture and flavour to the end product. We all know that baking is an art, but what we don’t know is that the baking process in itself is pure science.
This is not new information to a culinary student that baking is science. When baking a cake, accuracy in the measurements of ingredients is as important as the method of preparation in getting the desired result. Getting the right measurements and knowing the recipe can get you a perfectly baked cake, but knowing how the ingredients work, will make you a pro in cake baking.
Science is not everyone’s thing, but knowing a little for sake of the cake, wouldn’t be that bad a situation, so, let’s begin with creaming the fat and sugar. When we cream the fat and sugar many little air bubbles are formed in the process, and these bubbles are kept trapped in the mixture surrounded by a film of fat. It is the air bubbles that bring the fluffiness in the cake when beaten eggs are added to the mixture. Only solid fat has this ability to hold air bubbles, that is why we need to use butter or margarine in recipes that call for creaming of the fat and sugar. Using butter rather than margarine is all about the flavor?

Attachments

• IMG_5063.jpg
    IMG_5063.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,000
Last edited by a moderator:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, baking definitely IS a science! I know first hand about baking! I've baked a lot of cakes since my very first one back in the very early '70s

I STILL BACK EVEN TODAY AS WE SPEAK. Here's a 7up Cake that I made not too long ago. :picnic:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 999
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,001

Johnny West

That looks wonderful, Shermie. I always wanted to try a 7-Up and a Coca Cola cake. What do you frost with?

Shermie

Site Supporter
That looks wonderful, Shermie. I always wanted to try a 7-Up and a Coca Cola cake. What do you frost with?

Thanks!

Actually, if the mixer's work bowl looks full to you, it isn't, because if I had to, I could make TWO recipes in that same bowl!

It holds a whopping 8 quarts. And I have done it once before. I've never heard of a Cika-Cola cake before, but I guess it does not hurt to try it.

Guess that if I wanted to, I can use that same recipe, omit the 7up & lemon extract & use different flavors of soda & extract. You just gave me an idea for the next one!! :piesmiley1::eating2:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks!

I'm gonna try new variations for that same recipe that I've been doing for years with 7up!! :WitchBrewsSmiley::weber:

Shermie

Site Supporter
He just joined last week sometime! I thought that he was ok.
His other posts were probably deleted. :neutral: