Where did I go wrong with the ribs?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I smoked ribs last weekend.

I rubbed the ribs and let them sit till they were room temp.

I held the smoker at about 195 degrees.

Smoked about 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Internal temp 149.

The ribs seemed tough and certainly not off the bone.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You

Andy

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, I'm certainly not a pro when it comes to grilling and smoking but maybe in the future you might want to try the 3-2-1 method. It pretty much guarantees fall-off-the-bone ribs.

3 hours of smoking at 225° (bone side down)

Wrap in foil, add some coke, return to smoker for 2 more hours (bone side up).

Remove from foil and return to the smoker for 1 more hour (bone side down). Add sauce, if you want during the last 20 to 30 minutes.

If you want to fix the ribs you've already made, I would suggest you just do the 2-1 part of the method.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, were they babybacks or spare ribs?

Sounds as if they were not cooked long enough. Your smoker should have been at least 225, as Mama said.

Babybacks take 4-5 hours at 225-230. Maybe less, if you foil for part of the time.

Spares take closer to 6 hours at that temp.

Foiling after the first 3-4 hours speeds up the cooking process, and in essence, steams the ribs. It tenderizes them and keeps them moist. After foiling, many people take the ribs out and put them back on the fire, as Mama said, to firm them up and get a crust.

I do foil, but only for about 45 minutes, because I don't want the meat falling off the bone when I take them out of the foil.

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
The 3 2 1 soumds like a winner to me.

My improvised "pulled pork Sammy" used up
most of the ribs, there will be more.

Aee tje dinnwr thread for my sammie idwa.idea

FooD

They were undercooked. How accurate is your temp gauge?
Also, I would not determine when ribs are done judging by its internal temp. A better determination can be made by inserting a toothpick between the ribs. When ready the toothpick should poke through butter smooth.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I always slather spare ribs with lemon juice before putting on my rub. Helps break down the connective tissue.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
After thinking over all of the posts here I think I know the direction to go.

• I am pretty much OK with the accuracy of my thermometer. It is a Thermapen.
  • Probably looking at the internal temp of the ribs is not a good idea. Too little meat too close to the bone.
  • Definitely need a higher temp in the smoker.
  • I need to put a foil step in there somewhere.
  • I will try the lemon juice before the rub.

Thank you everyone.

Now! Anyone have a good rub recipe?

Paymaster

I cook my spares to 185* internal. Baby backs to 175*.

I pull the membrane from the back and slather meat side with plain yellow mustard. Then I coat them with my rub. I cook my ribs on an offset smoker meat side up and run the smoker at 250*. I cook the for 2.5-3 hours in the smoke then wrap them in foil with a small amount of apple juice in the foil and put them back in the smoker. I cook them untill the internal temp is 5 degrees below target. Then un-foil and place back on the smoker. This is when I sauce , when I sauce. Some times I like them dry, no sauce.

FooD

[*] I need to put a foil step in there somewhere.

You will almost always get that "fall-off-the-bone" cook by using foil. But leave the slab in the foil too long, like 2 hours for instance, you'll end up with mush.

I know your Thermapen is accurate. I was questioning the accuracy of the smoker gauge. Or did you use a remote thermometer?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Now! Anyone have a good rub recipe?

Recipe schmecipe.

Andy, I used to make sauces and rubs until I realized that I could buy ones that taste as good, if not better, than mine.

Head Country is is my favorite BBQ rub. It has won many competitions across the country due to it's universal appeal. Head Country sauce is also my favorite sauce, for the same reason as above (I am part of the "universal", BTW - I personally love the rub and sauce!)

I will link you to Hawgeyes BBQ site, where I order all my rubs and many of my sauces. http://php2.secure-shopping.com/hawgeyes/product.php?productid=104&cat=4&page=4

Smoking BBQ is fun, isn't it??? :)

Lee

headclg.jpg

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you all for the info.

Ummmmm Lee i have always enjoyes food off my chatcoal grill. The smoker is way beyond that. The food is great an it also sends ypu in so many other directions. It just opens so many doors.

Steak4Me

You may have done it and just not mentioned it in your post, but make sure you pull that membrane off the bone side of the ribs. It's tough in itself. But I think it's more likely a temperature issue as posted above. And I always go with the foil step for one hour.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
You may have done it and just not mentioned it in your post, but make sure you pull that membrane off the bone side of the ribs. It's tough in itself. But I think it's more likely a temperature issue as posted above. And I always go with the foil step for one hour.

Right on, and don't toss that meat - SMOKE IT.

I've used the 3-2-1 method since I found it here. Easy, perfect, delicious. :)

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I did pull the membrane. Thank you for the advice. My WSM and I are just getting used to each other.

I hope to revisit ribs again soon.

FooD

One thing about stock lid mounted thermometers is that they can give readings of up to 50°F lower than actual temperature at grate level depending on how much meat you've loaded the smoker with. So that's something to also consider.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I habe a dual channel thermapen digital. One prone for the meat one clips on the grill. You are quiye correct about the differenve between grill and dome temps
I just cooked too cool.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Right on, and don't toss that meat - SMOKE IT.

I've used the 3-2-1 method since I found it here. Easy, perfect, delicious. :)

Great link, Buzz!

The author, Jeff Phelps, hit the nail on the head with this paragraph:

"I must say that the 3-2-1 method is not for everyone.. some will tell you, and rightfully so, that according to KCBS and other judging standards, the 3-2-1 ribs are overcooked and that ribs should be eaten less tender so that they are not overcooked. I whole heartedly agree that this is correct when you are being judged by a certified barbecue judge. When you are being judged by family and friends, the 3-2-1 method is a great way to go and might just win you the gold medal."

Since I was a bbq competition cook for a dozen years or so, I developed a taste for ribs with some "tooth" (meaning, that the meat does not fall off the bone when you pick it or bite it). Maybe I was brainwashed. Nah, I really do like ribs that are perfectly tender, but that aren't steamed in the foil as long.

I also agree that the general public thinks you're a brilliant cook when you get the meat to fall off the bone! :mrgreen:

Lee

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I agree with Lee.

I don't use the 3-2-1 method unless it is for someone who likes it fall off the bone.

I cook mine minimum 225-275 until they are done. 4-6 hours depending on the slab. I personally do not remove the membrane because they cook the same without or with it on.

My method:
Trim if needed
Rub with mustard or worchestershire sauce
Apply lots of rub
Wrap in plastic wrap
Refrigerate overnight

Next day:
Remove ribs from fridge and bring to room temp
Heat and stabilize cooker temp
Apply another light coating of rub.

Once in the cooker, I do not open for 2 hours, then i spritz with a combo of apple juice and spiced rum.

In my UDS or mini smoker ribs usually take about 4 1/2 hours, with the amount of rub & the addition of the spritzing, it makes it's own glaze.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Bam.

I am currently looking for the rubs that you kindly posted. I have some that I made from yours, but, I need more.

As always hank you Lee.