becoming a modern day prospector

FooD

I was thinking of getting one for myself. I live across the street from Elysian Park and there are U Tube videos of guys prospecting for old coins. Pretty neat stuff.

chilefarmer

Lefty, good on ya. I have wanted one for years. Had a cheap one many years ago, it found everything, wasn't much fun.
Did you research them, whats the best buy. They all look so good. CF

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my Pap owned an old one us tots used to luv hunting for 'treasure' (a kiddo that found a quarter when i was 5 was one :) kiddo)-- with.

have a good time hunting! get rich.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Good luck, and who knows, you may find some pretty cool stuff!

If I still lived close to a beach, I would still own a detector. Always use to find cool stuff ,but always felt horrible when I found sets of car keys. . .the owners of 'em must have gone through hell.

Lefty

Yank
Lefty, good on ya. I have wanted one for years. Had a cheap one many years ago, it found everything, wasn't much fun.
Did you research them, whats the best buy. They all look so good. CF

I ended up with a Garrett Ace 350. I did the research, but the budget dictated. I like the features so I hope to find some good stuff and make some cash and be able to get better models. I am not going to do the scuba diving thing, dry land for me.

chilefarmer

Lefty, was just checking out the 350 reviews. Sure looks like a good choice to me. Please keep us informed as to how you like it. CF:)

AllenOK

I used to do this for years. Still have my detectors, although I've lost some of my accessories. I had a Fisher 1235X, CZ-5, and CZ-20 (waterproof). Yes, you all will find things. Lots of things. I had a website up, at one time. Haven't been on it in years, for all I know, tripod has taken that site down.

I probably dropped over $2K in detectors and accessory gear. When the recession started, heck, even before then, times were tough for us, so I started liquidating my gold, then finally my silver, and lastly, the bulk of my silver coins. All totaled, including the modern spendable coins, I pulled a profit.

Start looking into historical research. Find the ghost towns. Spots people would have gathered and money changed hands. If you get a detector, most of them have waterproof search coils, so you can go in the water, as long as you keep the box out of the water. You'll definitely find jewelry. My first silver ring came from a public beach, inches from the waterline, my third week into the hobby. My first gold ring came just days after that, from a woodchip playground on an elementary school.