Anyone else catch the tablet craze?

Lefty

Yank
I got my android tablet as a Father's day gift. I might as well put a usb plug in my forehead. My old lady doesn't even bother to ask if I have it with me anymore she knows I do. I even went as far as I left my laptop home on my last road trip for work. Doc, this would be ideal for the house boat. Saves space and if I was reading a book or working offline I get 14 hours of use, watching movies I still get around 8-9 hours. Playing online is still good for 10-12. I spent a little over 500 for it last year and have used it every day since I got it. Moneys worth I say YES!!!

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I've had an ipad for a few months. I'm getting a little less on the battery life though. It makes 8 hours with hard use but runs down pretty quick after that.

There are some days I don't touch a real computer.

Jim

FooD

I have the poor man's version of the iPad, the iPod. It's small but does the job for me for now.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I agree FooD .... I have my iPhone and it works for me. I also got teh poor poor mans pad ...the kindle tablet. I love it. Use it for reading more than anything but it also runs android apps. I use the Iphone for portable web browsing, fits in my pocket and always there when I need it.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my Mom seemed to wanna buy me one. she sounded so enthused for me to be her test-daughter. i declined tho should have probably gotten 1.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
My wife now uses her iPad more than her computer. It's a 3G so she can keep busy with it while we're on the road. On our trek from to FL to WI next month I probably won't even know she's there as she splits her time between the Internet and the dog.... :yum:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Not that I woulden't like a tablet, while the ipad is very popular, i find it limited for a techie. I am hoping for something more capable in a tablet.

Till then my droid razr maxx is pretty capable. I do dislike autocorrect though.

Lefty

Yank
Not that I woulden't like a tablet, while the ipad is very popular, i find it limited for a techie. I am hoping for something more capable in a tablet.

Till then my droid razr maxx is pretty capable. I do dislike autocorrect though.

That is why I went with Toshiba. Full size USB port (can use memory stick, USB keyboard) ...

Full size sd card up to 128gig

Full size hdmi port

Removable back & replaceable battery

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
That actually sounds pretty neat.

I have to look at that. I have been looking at the galaxy tab 10.1

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That is why I went with Toshiba. Full size USB port (can use memory stick, USB keyboard) ...

Full size sd card up to 128gig

Full size hdmi port

Removable back & replaceable battery

That actually sounds pretty neat.

I have to look at that. I have been looking at the galaxy tab 10.1

That does sure sound neat and capable. I'm slow on this curve but when it's time that is what I will look at real hard.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, I managed to turn autocorrect off on my iphone.

Doc, one of my catalogs has some iphone accessories. One was a cable that connects the iphone to the port on a cisco router or switch. 30 pin apple to a RJ45. There's a console app on itunes. That would have been handy a few years ago.

Jim

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I got my android tablet as a Father's day gift. I might as well put a usb plug in my forehead. My old lady doesn't even bother to ask if I have it with me anymore she knows I do. I even went as far as I left my laptop home on my last road trip for work. Doc, this would be ideal for the house boat. Saves space and if I was reading a book or working offline I get 14 hours of use, watching movies I still get around 8-9 hours. Playing online is still good for 10-12. I spent a little over 500 for it last year and have used it every day since I got it. Moneys worth I say YES!!!

I like your avitar!

Lefty

Yank
Lefty,

Any thoights on an 8GB toshiba?

Mocrocenter has one for $280.00
As long as its new you are good to go. I wouldn't do refurbished. 8g is fine with expandable storage you don't need 32g. Which I wish I had known. But thats neither here or there. Watch it for a while before you buy. Also look at the new line coming out. They don't have expandablility but its a thought.

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
I personally feel tablets are overpriced for what they are capable of. If I had any use for one I would get a netbook for about $250. Its much more powerful, has a keyboard and multiple ports. Plus I despise touch screens. I had a touchscreen phone and I wanted to toss it in a wood chipper. :mrgreen:

Between my smart phone, laptop and desktop Im taken care of.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Being a Mac family, our kids felt that Mom & Dad needed to join the iPad revolution, so they bought one for each of us (I knew we raised then well:a1:), knowing full well that we wouldn't spend that kind of money when we already each had a MacBook. I have the new MacBook Pro for my business, and she has a regular MacBook. We have the basic iPad models and really enjoy them. It's nice to take them to visit people to show off the latest pictures of the grand daughter or things new around the house, plus we both use them as readers. I have no other frame of reference with tablets, but these do anything that we want them to do, plus, with iPhones, everything is interconnected with iCloud, so our pictures propagate to all the devices without having to do anything. And the best part of all this, is that the kids spent THEIR money on US for a change.:a1:

High Cheese

Saucier

I have an ipad for home, cant stand it. Way too much red tape. Once this thing breaks, :D, im going for a Windows based tablet.

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
I have an ipad for home, cant stand it. Way too much red tape. Once this thing breaks, :D, im going for a Windows based tablet.

Im more of a Windows person too. And I still wouldnt get a tablet. Netbooks are better and much less expensive. At least for me.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Im more of a Windows person too. And I still wouldnt get a tablet. Netbooks are better and much less expensive. At least for me.
A netbook is not a tablet, it's a mini computer that performs functions that a tablet is not intended to perform. Just sayin'...

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A netbook is not a tablet, it's a mini computer that performs functions that a tablet is not intended to perform. Just sayin'...
True, but both are small and easy to carry around, which is one of the big draws for the tablets.
The netbooks do have more capability / power but over time I suspect the tablets will be catching up sooner than we think.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
as for netbooks, my ex bought me one a few years ago. it was convienent, lite, & took vid footage..... pretty much a 'lil 'puter. i spilled a drink on mine, it was a gonner, & as it was so inexpensive we just put it away rather than get it fixed/replaced & that was that.