How do you cook a thick Rib-eye?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looking for tips on how to cook the perfect rib-eye. I have a couple very thick beautiful rib-eyes.

I'm cooking it on the grill today but also interested in how you would cook the perfect ribeye in your kitchen.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I use a Cast-Iron Grill-ribbed skillet on the stovetop, lightly oiled, and allowed to get nice and hot.
Sometimes I utilize a Montreal rub, but normally just pepper it well.
5 minutes on side one, four minutes on side two, lifting and rotating once on side two for nice grill marks.
Same procedure outdoors, but a minute longer on the timing, "cause it's a little farther from the heat.

001-11.jpg

013-2.jpg

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
+1 to the reverse sear, I have used it several times and enjoyed it. We also reverse sear thick pork chops. Although, Lucky's steak sure looks good.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks all.

LT's does indeed look good.

Thanks guys. I have cooked them inside by searing them and then putting them in the oven @ 350 degrees until done. That works well. But today I think I'll try Buzz's method.

Thanks for the reminder about Buzz's reverse sear. I had forgotten about that one. Today is a good day to try the reverse searing method. Maybe even have some pics for later if I remember.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well now that I hit this site today I'm not the only one so our minds are on the same page. Oh and LT that does look great too.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Steaks came out GREAT.

1st pic is right out of the oven after a 20 minute pre sear.

Attachments

• IMG_1786r.JPG
    IMG_1786r.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1788r.JPG
    IMG_1788r.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1790r.JPG
    IMG_1790r.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1792r.JPG
    IMG_1792r.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 177

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No, after buying the Weber like you have for the boat, I bought a bigger Weber for home use. Love it. :thumb:

phreak

I like reverse searing steaks. The only thing I might ad is to the night before take the steaks out of any wrapping, place on a rack in a pan so all sides are getting air, and let it "dry" out overnight prior to grilling.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I like reverse searing steaks. The only thing I might ad is to the night before take the steaks out of any wrapping, place on a rack in a pan so all sides are getting air, and let it "dry" out overnight prior to grilling.
I had never heard of 'drying them out' before, but that was mentioned in a few of the recipes I saw. Good tip phreak. :thumb: :tiphat:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
More than one mentioned that also FooD. :tiphat:

But, what about salmonella ....if you like your steak medium rare wouldn't you have more of a chance of getting salmonella if you let it get up to room temp before cooking?

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
salmonella is going to be on the outside. searing/broiling, etc. will take care of it, if it's there.

to be picky picky, it's max four hours between 40 and 140 - although I think they've changed their minds about the 140 end....