Kitchen tools when not in a kitchen.

The Tourist

Banned
We have a thread on new kitchen tools. But as you know, some of us prepare food when not in a kitchen.

For example, Locutus is a wilderness camper. I spend most of the summer on a bike. I just bought a sailor's knife as one practical answer to an "outdoor paring knife."

My wife has a pack of what appear to be 14-inch long toothpicks. She uses them for (disposable) picnic kabobs.

And let's face it, if you're from Wisconsin you eat plenty of meals on the tailgate of a pick-up truck in a football stadium parking lot.

I'm constantly looking for a practical, foldable or easy to pack set of nesting flatware and solid knife (I can sharpen) that fit inside a man's inside coat pocket. I hate plastic forks.

Not all kitchen supplies are fancy china, or state-of-the-art or even pretty to look at. But they serve a real value in making out of the way meals a joy instead of just senseless "fueling."

A few months ago I went our winter "Taste of Harley." Considering the clientele, I was the only one I knew who brought a metal fork from home. And these guys claim they "live to ride..."

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
For camping I have: A Coleman two burner stove, a small grill that you can put coals in and it has a folding stand so you can put it on a picnic table. I have one of those handy man multi purpose tools, mess kits, long skewers for marshmallows, a couple of good knives. I think that is about it, although knowing me I forgot something LOL. Oh yea, a can opener.

Biskit

You army guys...what'd they call that one.......P-38, or something like that.

I had one, purchased from a surplus store, and it worked really well.

The Tourist

Banned
Now that you mention it, I think I had some rudimentary opener on my Cub Scout pocket knife--which I never had to use.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here you go these work and also the P-51.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Type-Military-P-38-Can-Opener/dp/B000E96KFG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1234711803&sr=8-2[/ame]

The Tourist

Banned
Thanks, JoeC. This is the stuff I'd like to see.

I have a fairly wide console in my pick-up truck. I've tried to gather up items for convenience. Not necessarily "survival gear," but items that you might not think about for traveling comfort.

I have a couple of those small size kleenex packages in the console and a roll of toilet paper behind the seat. My wife loves me. And she has used the spare gloves.

Oh, and are you guys familiar with what's known as a 'hobo knife'? While I'm not much of a fan, it is a folding knife that comes apart and turns into a knife, fork and spoon.

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=hobo+knife...tl=Hobo%20Knives&srch=eqWWWCAT_2datarq%3Dhobo

The Tourist

Banned
I would also include things like a Coghlan's Folding Portable stove. I'm just unsure of the possible setting and need.

Ads say that even backpackers can carry the little thing, although I'm not much into that sport. I have seen a friend make use of something just like it one afternoon while we scoped out possible deer hunting areas.

I'm pulled both ways here.

One, if you're planning some form of rigorous outdoor vacation, you probably have taken better stuff.

And if you need something this small, then you're not camping, you're surviving!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I have the one my dad used in the Marines, don't know the official name for it, but it works pretty good once you get the hang of it!

AllenOK

A K-Bar knife?

Chico, I was going to suggest the good-ol' Boy Scout knife. Looks like you already thought of it.

Back when I was actively backpacking, we usually use a "spork" that was sold at the trading post for next-to-nothing. Heck, the only knife I carried on those was an extremely short (1 1/2") thing that had a locking plastic "sheath/scabbard" that clipped to my shoulder-strap D-ring.

I was also going to mention the good old P-51, but someone beat me to that. A Boy Scout knife will have a can opener built-in.

The Tourist

Banned
A K-Bar knife?

Yes, K-Bar makes a variety of 'hobo knife,' and to be fair, so does just about everyone else. In fact, I owned one.

Now, it worked, sort of. The knife locked. If you slid the grips apart, you had a rudimentary fork on one side and a knife on the other. The spoon was a very useable teaspoon. For 17 bucks...

The problem for me was that it seemed to be an emergency or survival tool. You couldn't just slip the thing in your pocket and do a two week vacation, although my guess is that many minimalist backpackers did just that.

In most cases I jam a real fork or a common spoon in my pocket and just use the knife I happen to be carrying.

PanchoHambre

All I have is some "outdoor" designated CI and one of those pop up grills

My brother has all sorts of stuff because he travels.

gadzooks

I still keep the p-38 I wore on my dogtags nearly 40 years ago in Viet Nam. I also have a ton of camp cookery, for everything from solitary backpacking to car camping and horse camping. When I go to Black Rock City for Burning Man, I always set up a full kitchen. 3 way free-standing fridge/freezer, the works.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've always wanted to go to the Burning Man festival. Looks like a great time. I've had my p-38 also since Viet Nam days.

gadzooks

It is an...interesting time. I recommend it. Just read up a bit before you go. Conditions can be harsh...good food takes on a whole new meaning there. Think about a camp stove, pressure cooker (BRC is at about 4,000 ft asl), folding camp oven for your camp stove, espresso pot (stovetop). Stainless steel wherever possible, unless you intend to throw it away after. And the 3 way fridge/freezer? Ummm...propane refrigeration gives a max of about a 50 degree F. temp drop. Great when it's a balmy 80 degrees, but when the temp hovers between 110 and 130, remember your lettuce will be kept at a chilly 60-80 dgrees. And I set up without a generator. I have some solar panels that I buffer through a deep cycle battery for electricty, but it's not enough for real refrigeration. Oh, I also have a 12 volt Waring bar blender. Run it on a sealed gel-acid battery and small solar panel. Portable. And I'm old enough to remember how to make all those blender drinks. Gets me invited to a lot of parties on the playa. Of course, many folks come in RVs and have all the luxuries of home. I fall into the ragamuffin category, I think, but all the stuff I do bring is the best available for the job. I eat very well. Goat cheese pesto pizza, salmon fritatta...lots of coffee, blended chai.

Last edited:

The Tourist

Banned
Good stuff. My one regret is that I got into computers late. Most of my good pics are taken with traditional cameras. I want a scanner.

gadzooks

If I take pictures. Often I don't take a camera, as the dust that is EVERYWHERE is so corrosive. Dry alkali lake bed. Destroys cameras. I also would rather be on the other side of the camera. But I will make the effort. joec has given you the best tip for browsing pix of daily life in BRC. As per the Dust, if you go, leave the scooter at home if you love it. Occasional 100% white outs do happen.

The Tourist

Banned
leave the scooter at home.

Thanks for the warning. However, it's more and more of an issue. My "iron butt" days of 700 miles in one sitting are long gone, I'm afraid.

I hate to admit this, but one time my wife wanted an expanded vacation and we went to Sturgis in a truck.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know...

gadzooks

Funny, mine is also from my days in the service. Going on 30 years.

I just noticed, it's on my primary key ring next to my handcuff key.

Hahaha! Handcuff key...I used to carry one of those, too, but not on a keyring. Had it taped to my back, where I could get to it if I needed it.