Who Owns a Pressure Cooker?

Shermie

Site Supporter
How many of you have a pressure cooker? I find them to be indespensible in the kitchen, especially for cooking something that would otherwise take an extremely long time to cook the regualar way.

Here are the two that I own. A 6-qt Fagor and a 7-qt kuhn Rikon, both stainless steel. :chef:

Attachments

• Fagor 6-Qt. Pressure Cooker..jpg
    Fagor 6-Qt. Pressure Cooker..jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 172
  • Kuhm Rikon 7-Qt Stainess Steel Pressure Cooker..jpg
    Kuhm Rikon 7-Qt Stainess Steel Pressure Cooker..jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 168

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have the 4qt and 6 qt Fagor 7 pc pressure cooker setup show below. Love the thing and it works with induction also.

Attachments

• Fagor 7 pc Pressure Cooker 2.jpg
    Fagor 7 pc Pressure Cooker 2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 166
K

Kimchee

No pressure cooker here, but am contemplating one. I think I'd rather have a pressure canner, but both would probably end up as Supreme Dust Catchers....

Interestingly, it seems that pressure cookers are almost unheard of in Europe. On another board, an ex-pat American was lamenting the lack of them in England. She could not find them anywhere! Are they an American only gadget?

FryBoy

No pressure cooker here, but am contemplating one. I think I'd rather have a pressure canner, but both would probably end up as Supreme Dust Catchers....

Interestingly, it seems that pressure cookers are almost unheard of in Europe. On another board, an ex-pat American was lamenting the lack of them in England. She could not find them anywhere! Are they an American only gadget?
Kuhn Rikon is a Swiss brand:

http://www.kuhnrikon.com/

joec

Gold Site Supporter

A friend of mine just picked up the Fagor canning show here.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-Piece-Pressure-Canning-Set/dp/B0027VT92K/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1258736956&sr=1-13[/ame]

chowhound

I've got an electric one I impulse bought off of QVC and I love it. It will double as a slow cooker and turns itself off automtically after a preset time. I won't say I use it often, but I like having it.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I've got an electric one I impulse bought off of QVC and I love it. It will double as a slow cooker and turns itself off automtically after a preset time. I won't say I use it often, but I like having it.
Can I make a pork loin in one, chow? My pork loins always come out dry, so obviously I'm overcooking them. I would be very interested in one of these if I could make a juicy pork loin.

chowhound

I've never done a loin in one, Terry. My main thing that I use it for is my country rib recipe (posted here) and doing whole chickens and veggies to turn into soup and such.
I've used Ol-Blue's DO recipe (posted here) for pork loin roasts and they came out juicy. I'm sure a PC would work though. I just don't have experience with doing one in it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've never tried to do a pork loin in a pressure cooker or a slow cooker. I've always either done them on the stove or in the oven and remove it at about 145 to 150 degrees internal temperature and let is rest. If you cook them to an internal temp of 160 it will be about 180 buy the time you go to eat it which turns it pretty dry.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Yes, the temp always gets away from me because of the continued cooking after you take it out. (I guess there is no way around keeping a closer watch on the temp. LOL)

Ooooh, making chicken soup would be really nice, Chow. What brand did you buy? (I remember you posting about it a while back but I can't remember the brand.)

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Yes, the temp always gets away from me because of the continued cooking after you take it out. (I guess there is no way around keeping a closer watch on the temp. LOL)

Ooooh, making chicken soup would be really nice, Chow. What brand did you buy? (I remember you posting about it a while back but I can't remember the brand.)

Get one of these guys, if you don't already own one. I got it at Bed Bath & Beyond. The best $20 (less 20%) I ever spent. Set the temp you want and it screams at you like an angry teenager when it hits temp. :yum:

10038811720307P.JPG

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I will be picking up a new thermometer tonight Joe. I'm looking for one I can use in my oven as well as in my smoker. I was thinking of one of the remote types is like that? This is about the price range I'm interested it.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, JoeV. I do have one, but have so far only used it as a timer for playing Boggle with the little guy. (I am hanging my head in shame.)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I just looked that one up and found another at B, B & B that has a remote so will pick that one up tonight.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I just looked that one up and found another at B, B & B that has a remote so will pick that one up tonight.

Joe, you might want to spend a few more bucks an get a Maverick ET-73. It has two probes, one for the meat and one for the smoker temperature, and, it has a remote.

I found a single probe model with remote on sale at Sears for about $16 last month. You might want to check it out - the sale price was NOT shown online.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'll check it out Buzz as I going over tonight to pick one up and Sears is between me and B, B & B. I want it to work in the house oven also as well as grill or smoker with remote. Either way I have to get it by tomorrow but really don't need one to tell me the oven/smoker temp as the one on the smoker is pretty accurate as is the oven settings.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I am looking for a remote really, don't need duel probes but will stop at Sears first tonight.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I am looking for a remote really, don't need duel probes but will stop at Sears first tonight.

Do that. The one I got is in Wisconsin so I don't even know the brand. The remote works everywhere in my apartment (goes through 3 walls) and I temp tested with boiling water and it was right on the money.

The only thing I see people complaining about are occasional probe failures but you can get the parts.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Ummm, sorry about the hijack but I had to jump in and mention the terrific deal I got at Sears.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
All this pressure cooking info has my attention. I've never used one, was programmed to take a pressure cooking class a couple months ago, and had to cancel because of sort of an unplanned trip out of town. Do I need a pressure cooker? I can't say as how I'm ever in a hurry to prepare food for the table and other than speed are there any advantages?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well that depends on your cooking style I would guess. I love mine though I'm fairly new to them myself. I really don't need more than what I have which does work on induction making it a bit quicker.

I use it to make beans, soups, stocks such as beef, chicken, fish and vegetable which take about 45 minutes compared to hours. The ones today are pretty easy to use and completely safe if you read the directions. I used mine the first night I got it with perfect results. We now use it at least once a week for something. I might add the Fagor set I have comes with 4 qt and 6 qt pot with one pressure cooker lid and a glass lid and steamer baskets. The pots also work as a regular pot or pan would without the pressure cooker lid. So it took care of needing extra pots and storage space.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a Wolfgang Puck slow cooker as well as his rice cooker/steamer which is a low pressure cooker. Neither though will do the same as my full pressure cooker will though both are great in their own rights.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I was gong to get one of THESE first, but changed my mind.

Attachments

• Presto Electric Pressure Cooker..jpg
    Presto Electric Pressure Cooker..jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Presto Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker..jpg
    Presto Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker..jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 100