Louisiana Red Beans & Rice - Bam's Style

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i use to live in Louisiana a couple of years ago and developed a love for red beans and rice...

1 pound dried red beans
10 cups water (or more)
1 ham bone or ham hock
1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
6 garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped scallions
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon Worcestershire
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon Creole/Cajun seasoning, such as Tony Chachere’s
Crushed red pepper to taste
Lemon juice, just a splash
Tabasco sauce to taste
4 cups hot cooked rice

Rinse beans well and drain them in a colander. If you remember to cover them with water and let them soak overnight, great. Otherwise, place beans in a large pot, cover them with water and "fast soak" by bringing to a boil and letting them stand off of the heat, covered, for 1 hour. Return the beans to the stove, add ham bone, garlic, onions, bell pepper and seasonings. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook very slowly, partially covered, for 1 1/2 hours. Stir the entire mixture just once about every half hour. Add the smoked sausage and cook another hour, partially covered. Beans are ready to serve when a rich natural "gravy" is formed. (In case you’re tempted to omit the ham bone or ham hock, don’t that’s what gives the liquid it’s creamy consistency.) Serve over rice with garlic bread. How many hungry people will this recipe feed? Well, that depends…at least 4, maybe up to 8. How hungry are they?

Lots of folks like to dress up their red beans by topping them with sliced scallions, and maybe even grated cheese. If that sounds good to you, do it! But please, don't serve this dish without good, crusty hot French bread, or maybe even garlic bread. Man, dat's good, yeah!
modify_inline.gif

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm having red beans and rice with my pork chops tonight. I've saved this recipe to try next time I make them. Here is the way I've been making them. I also lived in Jennings LA for about a year and 10 years in Vidor TX.

Red Beans and Rice

1 lb. red beans
1/2 lb. sausage, or more to your taste
1 onion (chopped)
2 sections garlic (finely chopped)
2 tablespoons celery
1 tablespoon parsley
1 lg. bay leaf
salt to taste
pepper to taste
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper , or to taste
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, or to taste
2 teaspoons cumin

Put beans in pot of water and rinse. Remove bad beans that float to top. Drain water off and put beans in deep pot with 8-9 cups water. Bring to boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let set for 2 hours. Put back on heat at moderate to slow boil.

Meanwhile, saute in extra-light virgin olive oil, onion, garlic, parsley, and celery. Add sausage to saute. Then add entire sauteed mixture to beans. Add bay leaf and spices to entire mixture. Boil gently (simmer), stirring occasionally, for 2-3 hours, until tender and squishy. If mixture becomes too thick, add microwave-hot water to thin.

Cook white rice according to directions on box.

Serve hot bean mixture over rice. (I like it all mixed together, but try it both ways).

Last edited:

smoke king

Banned
Thanks guys-Supposed to get colder here this week (its a balmy 20 something today) and red beans & rice sounds gooooood to me!!