Grilled Carrots

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Don't these sound GOOD????

They will be one of the first new things I try when the weather warms up (no, I am not one of those nut-jobs who insists on cooking outside all year long!)

I will be cooking them over charcoal, but these directions are for a gas grill.

Lee

Grilled Carrots

8 medium carrots, each 6 to 8 inches long and about 1 inch wide at the stem
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 teaspoon minced fresh Italian parsley

1. Peel the carrots and cook them in boiling water until they are partially cooked but still crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain the carrots and rinse them under cold water for at least 10 seconds to stop the cooking. The carrots may be cooked up to this point several hours ahead of serving.

2. If you are using a charcoal grill, arrange 1 chimney starter of lit charcoal in a tightly packed, single layer across one-half of the charcoal grate. Put the cooking grate in place, close the lid, and preheat the grill to high heat. Keep all the vents open.

If you are using a gas grill, preheat your grill on high until it reaches 500°F.

3. Lay the carrots flat on a work surface. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter with the vinegar and nutmeg. Brush the carrots with about half the butter mixture and season with half the salt and pepper.

4. Brush the cooking grate clean. Grill the carrots over direct high heat (450°F to 550°F), with the lid open, until lightly charred with spots and stripes, 3 to 5 minutes, turning occasionally and swapping their positions as needed for even cooking. Move the carrots to a platter, brush them with the remaining butter mixture, and season them with the remaining salt and pepper. Sprinkle the parsley over the top. Serve warm.

Makes 4 servings

chowhound

Oh. So now I'm a "nut-job"? :bounce:
:lol:

I'll be giving these a try as soon as i pick up some full sized carrots. Where was this recipe when I was looking for a grilled corn on the cob substitute? Zuchini was ok... but it's not sweet and tasty like carrots.
Yep, this nut-job is making this real soon :wink:

lilylove

Sounds wonderful Q... I'm wondering...if I can leave out the nutmeg and roast in the oven since I don't do the grill well at all??

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sure! Oven-roasted carrots are delicious, lilylove!

Lee

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
They sound great Lee and I'm not a big fan of cooked carrots. I'm gonna keep this in mind for the next time I fire up the grill!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Made these tonight for the first time.

Excellent! A keeper!

Lee

Attachments

• Grilled Carrots.JPG
    Grilled Carrots.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, I AM a nut job and DO like cooking outdoors year round!! :yum:

These sound great! I never even thought of this. Im so trying it! Thank you!

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Nut job here too- But not full Fledged!
I live in Calif.-
This Carrot recipe is fantastic. I can't wait to try it out.
Thanks

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Next time, I'm going to add a splash of balsamic vinegar to the sauce. I couldn't taste enough of the red wine vinegar.

Lee

sirena

I'm thinking this would make a great salad too. Cool the carrots after grilling, substitute EVOO for the butter, increase the vinegar a bit and voila! Salad!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
:a1:I made these yesterday, and used the same sauce on bell peppers and endive on the grill. It was all fantastic!:clap:

Thanks for this one QSis.:tiphat: