I like big butts,

Johnny West

I cannot lie... and with that said I did two butts yesterday, Decoration Day. They weren't big but the two together provided a lot of pork goodness. WinCo has been running a special ($1.78 #) on these Hormel butts but there is no fat cap on them to speak of. I was worried about that but it was not a problem. I used a Carolina mop recipe I found on the net and added to BBQ sauce at the table.

I used plum and alder for smoke.

Attachments

• ###Cooker.jpg
    ###Cooker.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 72
  • ###Pulled Pork I.jpg
    ###Pulled Pork I.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 74

Johnny West

I put some mop in a zip lock back with the meat and marinaded it for about an hour while I prepped. I don't know that it helped - I could have punctured the meat for more penetration of the mop.

Carolina Mop

INGREDIENTS

1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp hot sauce
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp brown sugar, packed
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
INSTRUCTIONS

Mix all ingredients together.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one month.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful, John!

I scored some meat for BBQ this weekend, too, but it wasn't smoking weather so into the freezer they went.

A small-ish 10 lb brisket and a mother 9 lb bone-in butt.

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I cannot lie... and with that said I did two butts yesterday, Decoration Day. They weren't big but the two together provided a lot of pork goodness. WinCo has been running a special ($1.78 #) on these Hormel butts but there is no fat cap on them to speak of. I was worried about that but it was not a problem. I used a Carolina mop recipe I found on the net and added to BBQ sauce at the table.

I used plum and alder for smoke.
Looks Wonderful JW!!

What model BBQ/Grill/Smoker is that?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, but John, it is a way better ash-catcher than the original disk!

Peep, it's a Weber kettle, probably a 22 incher (as opposed to 18 inch diameter) - a VERY versatile grill and smoker.

You may have been thinking of the Weber Smokey Mountain, which is a vertical charcoal smoker. More room to smoke stuff, but not nearly as efficient at grilling.

Lee

Johnny West

Yes, it's called The Original and is 22 inches.

I had no problem with the disk and was easy to clean and hose off. It's what I started with back in 78. :bbq:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Yeah, but John, it is a way better ash-catcher than the original disk!

Peep, it's a Weber kettle, probably a 22 incher (as opposed to 18 inch diameter) - a VERY versatile grill and smoker.

You may have been thinking of the Weber Smokey Mountain, which is a vertical charcoal smoker. More room to smoke stuff, but not nearly as efficient at grilling.

Lee

I have one of those original 22” Weber’s with the disk. Always worried ashes will come out the bottom and set my deck on fire. The new closed up ash catcher looks safer.
I thought that thing on the bottom was a smoker box.

Johnny West

It's probably not a good idea to use one on a wooden deck. Mine is always used on the4 patio or gravel. I like cooking in the front yard, by the driveway now. No one complains about the smoke coming in the house.

Johnny West

Last Saturday I did 4 of these to take to my church hospitality hour after the service. I did pulled pork, coleslaw, brownies, and a fruit plate of watermelon, honeydew, and strawberries. It kept the folks there and the vicar was pleased.

I finished off the pork in the crock pot and it worked great but the home filled with hickory smell and we were getting nauseated by Sunday morning. the next time will put the crock pot on the deck outside. :weber:

Attachments

• ####Butt Sunday.jpg
    ####Butt Sunday.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 43