What's on the Labor Day menu, Monday, 9-5-11

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We are having a fish fry this afternoon because our DD from Orlando is home for the weekend, and she missed the fish fry on her sister's birthday in early August. I went fishing on Saturday morning and brought home 20 Lake Erie Perch that gave me 2#7oz of fillets. That will be plenty for 8 people along with coleslaw, potatoes, corn on the cob and baguettes. We have leftover apple crisp & vanilla ice cream left over from another event yesterday, so that will be dessert.

Had a few cubanellas that needed some loving, so I stuffed them this morning with my homemade Italian sausage (enhanced with egg, bread crumbs, Worchestershire and mustard) and baked them off. I'll divide them and put them in the freezer for another day.

Before baking. I love these, so I even chop up the caps and bake them.

Cubanella090511-1.jpg

After baking.

Cubanella090511-2.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
mmmmmMMMM, Joe! I never think of baking stuffed peppers in tomato sauce, but I will try that next time I make them! Yours look beautiful!

I'm smoking up a batch of ABT's from my jalapeno plants and some ribs for my neighbors and myself today.

Old pictures, but this is what they will look like.

Lee

Attachments

• 118_1874.JPG
    118_1874.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 166
  • ABT's.JPG
    ABT's.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 152

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
mmmmmMMMM, Joe! I never think of baking stuffed peppers in tomato sauce, but I will try that next time I make them! Yours look beautiful!
Thanks, Lee. I like Campbells tomato soup mixed with thoroughly with one can of water and poured over the peppers. I cover with foil for 1 hour at 350F and they come out at 180F internal temp. The soup makes an interesting gravy when poured over mashed taters. My peeps have been making it this way for all of my 60 years, so I know no other way of making them. I think you'll like it.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Monday, 9/5/11 Labor Day, What's cooking?

Well we are under a flash flood warning till 10 AM TUESDAY. So I don't think we will be grilling today. I will make mac salad in a bit. Dinner will be one or more of the following depending on what everyone wants: burgers, hot dogs, london broil and mac salad.

What are your plans?

Embryodad

Re: Monday, 9/5/11 Labor Day, What's cooking?

Rain here....tonight 1" or more..which needs to be seen to believe.

Just got the PANIC orders...DIL called whats goin on there for L Day??

DW and DD are here..looking at me.

I said, I made mac salad, and hot dogs and Hamburgers with chilli sauce and condiments are plentiful.

SOoooooo! I hear,"What about cake..wha wha whata bout stuffed shells..

AND I SAID.... Knock Yourselves out....
I have what I said I have..and it will be on the table at 5:30 P M ....Period.

If Looks Could K I L L !!!!....hahahahahaha.

I hate Last .......Minute.........meal planning..

OOOps...Now they put a flood watch till Wed Morning on the TV....

It's 71º out and raining lightly.. It is Humid, and the A/C cooling is on just for that reason.

All have a Great Labor Day..

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter

I'll be eating a burger, dog, potato salad, baked beans and whatever else is there.
Going to the cook out at my nieces place around 5.
We might have a pit fire after dark, and toast giant marshmallows.

Embryodad

I'll be eating a burger, dog, potato salad, baked beans and whatever else is there.
Going to the cook out at my nieces place around 5.
We might have a pit fire after dark, and toast giant marshmallows.
Sounds Great Sass...

Uh!,...... What is a Giant Marshmallow? Never seen or heard of them??

Embryodad

These!
They'd make for some messy s'mores, I think LOL

View attachment 13657
WOW DEE DOW... They Are Huge....hahaha

DD just came back from the store with Marshmallows (Regular size) and Rice Krispies... and Butter.

I think I know what that is gonna be made into.

Carbs + Carbs = HOLY SHUGGER SHOCK....hahahahaha

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Hmmmm, looks like my dinner thread got bumped.

Guacamole & Tostitos w/ a hint o' lime
Ribs
Red Potato Salad
Corn on the cob
Broccoli salad
There's plenty of cut up fruit (melons) & berries, & ice cream in the fridge.

My friend wants to take the RV for a spin & watch the sunset at the beach. (We'll see.) My mission, if I choose to accept it, is to go through Topanga Cyn & see if I can find the guys that used to sell bags of langoustine out of the back of their trucks/vans.

Have a safe & happy holiday.

homecook

Those peppers look awesome Joe! Your gravy is the same I use on meatloaf and stuffed cabbage. lol

I'm making a Country style creole pork roast. I'm not sure on the sides yet.

Embryodad

Well.... so far I see great ribs, and stuffed peppers and jalapenos..

And Giant Mallows.....

Everyones food looks great...sounds great....and is great.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I'll be the odd man out here with a Lake Erie perch dinner instead of the traditional grill food. It's pretty chilly here today in the 60's, so I didn't mind cooking while we has a few windows open for some circulation. Everyone loved those Panko crumbs, and DS cooked all 40 fillets while I did the breading.

Dinner090511.jpg

K

Kimchee

Chicken Adobo over spicy garlic peppers broccoli slaw stir fry!

cookingirl

Joe, you are not the only odd man here! I made soup!!! nice, hearty soup!
It is called Winter vegetable soup! but made it on Labor Day!! !!!:huh::huh:
onions, carrots, celery, cabbage, swiss chard, canned whole, smooshed tomatoes, chicken broth, herbs de provence, thyme..s&p to taste!
yum!!! :readytoeat:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Great looking dinners everyone!

It rained off and on all day today so no grilling here either. Comfort food seemed more in order. Roast Beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, peas, homemade rolls and Italian Creme cake for desert. Everyone is asleep in front of the tv now :lol:

Attachments

• dinner09052011.jpg
    dinner09052011.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 106
  • italian-creme-cake.jpg
    italian-creme-cake.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 112

Nancy-MD

We are having a fish fry this afternoon because our DD from Orlando is home for the weekend, and she missed the fish fry on her sister's birthday in early August. I went fishing on Saturday morning and brought home 20 Lake Erie Perch that gave me 2#7oz of fillets. That will be plenty for 8 people along with coleslaw, potatoes, corn on the cob and baguettes. We have leftover apple crisp & vanilla ice cream left over from another event yesterday, so that will be dessert.

Had a few cubanellas that needed some loving, so I stuffed them this morning with my homemade Italian sausage (enhanced with egg, bread crumbs, Worchestershire and mustard) and baked them off. I'll divide them and put them in the freezer for another day.

Before baking. I love these, so I even chop up the caps and bake them.

Cubanella090511-1.jpg

After baking.

Cubanella090511-2.jpg
I make my stuffed peppers the very same way, Joe. Campbell's tomato soup over the top (I don't dilute), and I also put a generous amount of parmesan cheese over everything before I start the cooking. I do mine on top of the stove. Makes a delicious sauce.

I'm smoking up a batch of ABT's from my jalapeno plants and some ribs for my neighbors and myself today.

Old pictures, but this is what they will look like.

Lee
It all looks wonderful!
Thanks, Lee. I like Campbells tomato soup mixed with thoroughly with one can of water and poured over the peppers. I cover with foil for 1 hour at 350F and they come out at 180F internal temp. The soup makes an interesting gravy when poured over mashed taters. My peeps have been making it this way for all of my 60 years, so I know no other way of making them. I think you'll like it.

I'll be the odd man out here with a Lake Erie perch dinner instead of the traditional grill food. It's pretty chilly here today in the 60's, so I didn't mind cooking while we has a few windows open for some circulation. Everyone loved those Panko crumbs, and DS cooked all 40 fillets while I did the breading.

Dinner090511.jpg
Delicious!
Great looking dinners everyone!

It rained off and on all day today so no grilling here either. Comfort food seemed more in order. Roast Beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, peas, homemade rolls and Italian Creme cake for desert. Everyone is asleep in front of the tv now :lol:
Yum, Mama! And that cake looks TDF!
Nice burger!

Nancy-MD

Even though today's cookout was a washout with the rain, there was a time when it was dry enough to grill hot dogs and hamburgers. The sides I made were potato salad, macaroni salad, cold pasta salad, coleslaw, deviled eggs and baked beans.

Didn't take a picture of any of that, too many people at dinner time, but I did snap a pic of the apple pies I made for dessert. I used my new Emile Henry pie dish for the first time. That thing is huge.

Attachments

• apple pies 001.jpg
    apple pies 001.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 173

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
OH MY LORD! I want some of everything. All the dishes look so good. YUMMY. And PIE!

Holy stay puft marshmallow man!! Call the ghostbusters!! Those are huge.