Shrimp Wontons

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Shrimp Wontons in a Hot and Sour Soup

14b.jpg

This was my first attempt at making wontons. I started out with a recipe that is really supposed to be used for steamed dumplings (dim sum). I left out some ingredients, changed some amounts, and added some ingredients that I thought would be good in shrimp wontons.

Wonton wraps (I used Wing Hing Wonton Wraps.)
6 to 8 large, raw shrimp, cleaned and roughly chopped
Bamboo shoots – about 1 T, chopped
Fresh ginger – grated, about ½ t
2 to 3 shiitake mushrooms
2 green onions – white part only, chopped (save tops for garnish)
1 T soy sauce
1 t sherry
Sesame oil – just a few drops

Place the shrimp, bamboo shoots, ginger, mushrooms, and green onions in a food processor and process until the shrimp are just minced. Transfer to a bowl and add the remaining ingredients (except the wraps) and mix well. The filling should be gooey but not runny. For making the wontons, I just followed the directions that came with the wraps, using about 1 tsp of filling for each and water for sealing.

5b.jpg

The raw shrimp filling is not very appetizing--at all. But once they're cooked, the filling is a beautiful light pink. I wish that I had taken a pic of the inside of one of the cooked wonton's :(.

Gently place the wontons in a pot of boiling water and cook until they float. I let mine cook a little after they floated just to be sure that the filling was thoroughly cooked. You can also tell by looking, as the filling will turn light pink when the shrimp mixture is cooked through.

I was real happy with the outcome. They were light and delicately flavored, perfect for floating around in a hot and sour or egg drop soup. I used a packaged hot and sour soup, added some shiitake mushrooms, an egg, the shrimp wontons, and green onions for garnish. I’ll be doing this again. It was fun making the little pouches, and I have a ton of leftover skins to do something with.

The above amounts yield enough filling for about 12 wontons.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Cooksie - Did you make the soup as well? Id so may we please have the recipe?

Thank You

I didn't make the soup from scratch. I used a packaged mix and added some shiitake mushrooms, an egg, and some green onions to jazz it up.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
beautiful!! it looks great even though i don't like shrimp!! do you have a pork and green onion wonton filling recipe?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
beautiful!! it looks great even though i don't like shrimp!! do you have a pork and green onion wonton filling recipe?

Exactly what peep said!

Lee

The filling recipe that I started out with is Frugal Gourmet's Ha Gow filling for dim sum. I changed it quite a bit though. If you want a pork filling, try either his Pork Shu-Mei filling or his Wonton Dumpling filling. Both look good to me, but I have never used either.

This looks really good too:

http://steamykitchen.com/5849-chinese-boiled-pork-dumplings.html