Mushroom and Beef Manicotti for Two

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Mushroom and Beef Manicotti for Two

Ingredients

1/2 lb Ground Beef
4 oz Baby Portobello Mushrooms
7 oz Ricotta cheese (half of a 15oz container)
7 Manicotti shells
2 cups Spaghetti sauce (your favorite kind)

Procedure

Cook the Manicotti shells until Al Dente, about 7 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.

In a steamer, steam the hamburger meat until done. Stir often to break it up into a fine mix. Drain and set aside.

Put the Mushrooms in a food processor and grind till finally minced. Alternatively, mince by hand with a Chef’s knife.

In a large bowl, add the hamburger, minced mushrooms, and Ricotta. Stir well to fully incorporate all ingredients.

Using a small spoon, scoop the mushroom mixture and stuff into the Manicotti shells and set aside. In a small baking dish (preferably an individual serving dish), lay down a layer of the sauce. Now place the stuffed Manicotti into the dish. Cover the shells with more sauce. Top with Mozzarella cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is nicely browned.

Notes

Tip: These shells are so large it’s easier to just use your hands to stuff them. Forego the spoon for a bit of ease if you don’t mind working with your hands.

I used 2 individual serving dishes with 2 stuffed shells each. I had enough stuffing leftover to fill 3 more shells. With those, I used a slightly larger dish that could hold 3 shells and baked it. It went into the fridge for DW’s lunch tomorrow. If you make this recipe as is, expect 7 stuffed shells. You can easily accommodate all 7 in a larger 9 x 13 baking dish.

And of course….WHY did I steam the hamburger meat? A few reasons. For one, the grease drips away into the water meaning you don’t have to drain it, and you can save the “beef/grease” stock to give to the dogs (works great over Gravy Train dog food – the kind that makes “gravy” when you add water). Second, the velvety texture of steamed ground beef is very nice and works well here. Third, the flavor changes a bit since there is no caramelization; it’s a subtle change but nice. Finally, I’ve found steaming allows you to break the meat up into a really fine meal-like mixture. No big chunks means much easier stuffing and no tearing.

Steaming the beef.
Step_1-64.jpg

The Mushrooms ground up by the Food Processor.
Step_2-63.jpg

The Mushrooms with the Ricotta cheese and hamburger meat mixed in.
Step_3-56.jpg

A shot of the individual dish – the spoon is there for size reference.
Step_4-51.jpg

Add the bottom layer of sauce.
Step_5-44.jpg

Add the stuffed shells.
Step_6-39.jpg

Cover with sauce.
Step_7-30.jpg

Top with Mozzarella.
Step_8-21.jpg

Bake until golden brown.
Step_9a-5.jpg

Oh – and the “extra” dish that will serve as DW’s lunch tomorrow.
Step_9-16.jpg

Step_9b-3.jpg

Step_9c-2.jpg

Last edited: