What's are you eating NCT - Sunday 12/31/2017 to Saturday 1/6/2018?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
My menu for today and tomorrow is in the 2017 Winter Holiday thread.

Have a happy and safe New Year!

happy-new-year_clock.gif

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We had a triple creme, Papillon bleu, and parm R cheeses, salami, mortadella, and prosciutto meats, fruits of an heirloom apple (I forgot the name), a pear, grapes, and strawberries. Craig made blinis for 1 jar of our caviar. Water crackers for the softer cheeses.

Attachments

• 2017-12-31 18.28.59.jpg
    2017-12-31 18.28.59.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 184

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Spectacular charcuterie, med!

Wish I'd been there to join you!

What beverage did you serve with it?

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We were supposed to open a Perrier-Jouet flower painted bottle of champagne we've had for several years, but once again didn't. That poor bottle must feel so unloved. Craig had initially bought it for a Valentine's day dinner and we were within minutes of opening it when I got a call telling me my stepmom had been in a really bad car accident and I needed to come since my dad couldn't stay alone due to dementia and obviously her sister wanted to go be with her at the trauma center they helicoptered her to 90 miles away. So, knowing I'd be leaving for a 1300+ mile drive early the next morning, the bottle got put away. It seems like every time we try to use it something comes up, even if it's just forgetting to get a bag of ice like it was last night for the ice bucket. It, however, has 1 or 2 more chances since we have another jar of caviar, cheese leftover, AND we still have most of the black truffle left that we used on my shrimp risotto with black truffles creation I made a couple of nights ago.

Now to answer your ? since the saga of the PJ bottle has been told, I had a bottle of Stella Artois Cidre and Craig had a couple of beers from 1 of the little breweries, and I have no idea of the name. He said his beer went well with everything and I know my Cidre did, figured it would,but even better than I hoped.

These were our Christmas gifts to each other.

Attachments

• 2017-12-22 18.34.49.jpg
    2017-12-22 18.34.49.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 180
  • 2017-12-22 18.13.31.jpg
    2017-12-22 18.13.31.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 191

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Is that a truffle, Karen?

Lee

Yep, first meal I made with it, didn't get it posted here. Shrimp poached in court bouillon with risotto using the CB, white wine and leeks. Long story on this one too, but I've already written books, so I'll give the short version. Long ago special dinner at special restaurant, special dish made for me that I've remembered all these years so I did a play on and added to. It was wonderful. Oh, there is homemade truffle butter in the risotto too that I found on a recent freezer diving expedition. Had a little bit of truffle left from probably either Valentines or my birthday so made butter, froze it, and promptly forgot about it.

Attachments

• 2017-12-30 18.48.09.jpg
    2017-12-30 18.48.09.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow! Just tasting a real truffle is on my bucket list!

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Yesterday's Turkey Breast came out very nice......... can't really say whether the brining was better than last year's (No Brining), as both were moist and flavorful..........
Roast Turkey Breast with roasted veggies, Black-Eyed Peas

Turkey Dinner.jpg

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Hot Turkey Open-Faced Sandwich last night.......... Turkey Soup tonight !

Then, back to normal !:hotdog::hotdog:

Johnny West

I'll attempt to make biscuits and gravy today. The biscuit recipe is just two ingredients: Self rising flour and buttermilk, a recipe from Garden and Gun.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll attempt to make biscuits and gravy today. The biscuit recipe is just two ingredients: Self rising flour and buttermilk, a recipe from Garden and Gun.

Geez, even I could handle that!

Please post the whole recipe in a new thread, gravy, too, when you can, John.

Thanks,

Lee

Johnny West

The gravy is nothing special. I fry up a pound of sausage or burger and add premixed packets with water. I was overruled on dinner so it will be re-heated Hungarian goulash.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
It's snowing - perfect weather for soup. I am planning on making split pea soup and maybe croutons.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Chicken soup for us, datalini, carrots, green beans, peas, corn, potato, chicken poached in chicken broth, onions and garlic sweated in smaltz from the chicken fat and skin, with just a bit of flour to make a really small amount of blond roux, and skin that was crisped and crumbled on top of the soup.

Attachments

• 2018-01-04 18.16.22.jpg
    2018-01-04 18.16.22.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 159

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's snowing - perfect weather for soup. I am planning on making split pea soup and maybe croutons.

Geez, another one making pea soup! Now I'm REALLY craving it!

I'm working on lowering my cholesterol, so I wonder how it would be without the delicious hambone.

I think I'll try it.

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Pea soup (no picture of soup) with garlic croutons.

Garlic croutons - cubed Italian bread tossed in melted garlic butter then toasted in a 450°F oven till nicely browned.

garlic_croutons_010418_IMG_3602.JPG

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter

I'm working on lowering my cholesterol, so I wonder how it would be without the delicious hambone.

I think I'll try it.

Lee

I have a method to achieve the flavor of the ham bone / Hock in my Beans, Pea Soup, etc. by using McCormick Somkehouse Maple Seasoning.....

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I cooked a corned beef in the crock pot and had it with cabbage and baby new potatoes. I love those tiny potatoes, just wish I could get a whole bag of the small ones. The ones I get are mixed sizes.

I think I'll try it.

Lee

You might want to try the Better Than Bouillon Ham Base. If you can believe the label, it says 0% cholesterol. I use the chicken, roast beef, and lobster base and love it.

Johnny West

Last night it was requested I make pancakes, used Krusteaz for the pancakes. Easy peasy. The last of the Christmas ham was for me.

Attachments

• #Pancakes and Ham I.jpg
    #Pancakes and Ham I.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 120
  • #Pancakes and Ham II.jpg
    #Pancakes and Ham II.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 127