Gals vs Guys Outdoor Cooking/Grilling/Smoking Throwdown

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Gals vs Guys Outdoor Cooking/Grilling/Smoking Throwdown

What: A just for fun, one-time throwdown between the gals and the guys
When: Friday, June 18 to Monday, July 5
Who: Anyone who wants to get in on the fun – You don’t have to be an expert griller/smoker, or have a lot of experience cooking outside, or have a bunch of fancy equipment – Anyone who wants to play is welcome to play

Grill, smoke, or cook anything outside between Friday, June 18 and Monday, July 6. Save your pic’s and we’ll organize them into a Gals vs the Guys poll and open the poll for voting on Tuesday, July 6. The voting will be anonymous, and you can contribute as many pic’s as you want for your team.

If you’re interested in being a part of the throwdown, just say so and you’ll be added to either the Gals Team or the Guys Team.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Re: Gals vs Gus Outdoor Cooking/Grilling/Smoking Throwdown

I first posted this idea in the Site Supporters Lounge just to make sure that I had Doc's and the Mod's approval before moving forward.

Everyone is welcome to play, simply post your grilling pictures in the appropriate Gal or Guy thread. You can enter multiple times. We all will vote for which thread we think has the most appetizing pics.

This should be fun. I'm sure there will be a lot of grilling/smoking/cooking outdoors for Father's Day and July 4th, so it should be easy to snap a pic and play.

Go Gals :D, let's give them a run for their money!

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good idea Cooksie!!!!!!!!
This should be fun!!!!!!! :thumb:

FooD

I think I'm in. I'm grilling some wings for the Lakers/Celtics game tonight. I'll be sure to take some pics..:D

Cooksie

Site Supporter
A_Pig_Barbecuing_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_100321-194541-170042.jpg
Alright!!! Glad we've gotten some interest in this.

FooD

I think I'm in. I'm grilling some wings for the Lakers/Celtics game tonight. I'll be sure to take some pics..:D

Lakers won and we ate lots of hot wings!

Attachments

• P1040625.jpg
    P1040625.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,107
  • P1040628.jpg
    P1040628.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,209

buckytom

Grill Master
nice wings, food. :chef:

someone remind me to take a pork shoulder out of the freezer tonight so i can make it tomorrow or monday.

ok, so, how does one go about smoking a whole california pic-a-nic. how many hours, at what temp? what temp should the meat reach? what is a "stall"?

i have an infrared thermometer and my old probe thermometer to check the temp of the smoker and the meat this time.

tia for any help.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
It's about 95 degrees outside :eek:, add to that the heat from the pit. I look like a ragamuffin....black rings under my eyes from mascara running, sweaty shirt, sweaty face......are we having fun yet?

I love this thing:

IMG_2378.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cooksie, I just sit my chimney starter on my charcoal grate.

No need to use a well-seasoned jellyroll pan (all mine look like that and they bake the BEST cookies!).

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here's a good read on pulled pork. He explains what "the stall" is.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/pulled-pork-recipe-how-to_b_590681.html

LOL! I've only ever heard it called "the plateau" before. Just gotta wait it out.

"Allow 1.5 to 2 hours per pound but it might take more or less. Each hunk of meat is different, and rain, wind, ambient temp will impact cooking times. The temp will rise steadily to about 140 to 150F. and slow down for a looooonnnng while as moisture moves to the surface and the collagens turn to liquid. It might hold there for an hour or more. This is called "the stall" or "the zone". Don't panic and don't crank the heat. Be patient. Magic is happening."

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
BT, I just saw your original question. I didn't read the whole article that Cooksie posted, but it looked pretty thorough.

The pork should reach 195 to 200 before it's ready to pull. The best way to tell is to pick it up (with neoprene or other heat-resistant gloves) and if it feels like a big water balloon, it's done. One BBQ champion calls this "the wa-wa effect", LOL!

Enjoy!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Cooksie, I just sit my chimney starter on my charcoal grate.

No need to use a well-seasoned jellyroll pan (all mine look like that and they bake the BEST cookies!).

Lee

I have to fess up a bit here. This morning when I first read this, I thought, "Well, but my chicken is already in there on the grate." :bonk: That was a second add of charcoal. I did some more reading today and discovered that if you need some more charcoal, you can just add your charcoal directly to an already hot fire box without using the chimney to get it going first....the minion method (I think). Total newb here to smoking :twak:. You gals and guys who have done this for a while don't understand how little a real newbie knows :blush:. You've gotta tell us the minute details :D.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Whoa!! Minion Method! LOL!

The Minion Method just means to mound up a pile of unlit charcoal in the bottom of your cooker, and dump a chimney of hot charcoal on top of it. Jim Minion first posted about the method he developed 15 - 20 years ago on the BBQ Forum http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/ (where they taught me how to cook low and slow BBQ, and where I learned how to learn how to compete), when he was trying to keep the starting temps low in his Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. He revolutionalized the low and slow fire starting at the time.

Yes, you can add unlit charcoal to an already-hot fire.

The BBQ forum is a wonderful place to ask detailed questions about low and slow cooking, as well as grilling. But you can ask here, too - some of us know a little about it here as well. :)

The photos below are of 1) Jim Minion, and 2) my friend, Ray Lampe (DrBBQ) and Jim, competing at an Iron Chef challenge at the
International Invitational Jack Daniels BBQ competition in Lynchburg, TN .

Lee

Attachments

• JimMinion,less80pounds.JPG
    JimMinion,less80pounds.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 323
  • RayandJimMinion-IronChef.JPG
    RayandJimMinion-IronChef.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 311

Cooksie

Site Supporter
You've got some great connections, Q-Sis. Cool pic's. Thanks for the info and the link. :thumb:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok Guys........GUYS!!

Have you seen what the Gals have been doing in the BBQ throwdown? I'm beginning to get a little nervous here! Come on cavemen, step up and cook something over the fire. The 4th of July weekend is coming up, and it's our last weekend to throw something in. So let's bring out the big guns! You with me???? :clap:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh, can I please request that the deadline be moved out to July 6th with voting to take place on July 7th. My work is taking Monday the 5th off as the Holiday, so I won't be getting around to posting weekend pics until Tuesday.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Oh, can I please request that the deadline be moved out to July 6th with voting to take place on July 7th. My work is taking Monday the 5th off as the Holiday, so I won't be getting around to posting weekend pics until Tuesday.

That's ok with me.

K

Kimchee

Here's this weekend's attempt.....
Grilled chicken breasts with grilled peppers, and grilled Bok Choy, which had garlic and shallots stuffed between the leaves.
Didn't grill the wild rice, LOL!

Attachments

• GrilledBokChoy4.jpg
    GrilledBokChoy4.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 291